Formatting output

Tom Petersen

I am using a response.write to test the formatting of the output. I am
supposed to get this:
BEGIN:VCALENDAR
VERSION:1.0
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTART:20051022T090000Z
DTEND:20051022T090000Z
LOCATION;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Library
UID:20051022T090000ZI-request
DESCRIPTION;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:test
SUMMARY;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:I-request
PRIORITY:3
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR

But instead I get this:
BEGIN:VCALENDAR VERSION:1.0 BEGIN:VEVENT DTSTART:20051022T090000Z
DTEND:20051022T090000Z LOCATION;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Library
UID:20051022T090000ZI-request DESCRIPTION;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:test
SUMMARY;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:I-request PRIORITY:3 END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR

I am sure I am missing something very simple, but I can't figure out what I
am doing wrong. Here is the code:
strvCalendar = "BEGIN:VCALENDAR" & vbCrLf & _
"VERSION:1.0" & vbCrLf & _
"BEGIN:VEVENT" & vbCrLf & _
"DTSTART:" & strStart & vbCrLf & _
"DTEND:" & strStart & vbCrLf & _
"LOCATION;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:" & strLocation & vbCrLf & _
"UID:" & strStart & strSubject & vbCrLf & _
"DESCRIPTION;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:" & strDescription & vbCrLf & _
"SUMMARY;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:" & strSubject & vbCrLf & _
"PRIORITY:3" & vbCrLf & _
"END:VEVENT" & vbCrLf & _
"END:VCALENDAR" & vbCrLf

Any ideas?
TIA!!!

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

If you do a view-source, you'll see the format you're after. Remember
though, HTML doesn't care about line breaks in the source. If you want a
line break to appear in your browser, you have to use the <br> tag or a
block level tag like <div> or <p> or something.

Ray at work

McKirahan

Tom Petersen said:
[...]

strvCalendar = Replace(strvCalendar ,vbCrLf,"<br>")

Jeff Cochran

I am sure I am missing something very simple, but I can't figure out what I
am doing wrong. Here is the code:
strvCalendar = "BEGIN:VCALENDAR" & vbCrLf & _

VbCrLf isn't recognized in HTML. Use HTML tags, such as <p></p> or

Or... Use a <pre></pre> tag to deliver the text as formatted.

Check an HTML group for details if you're unfamiliar with these tags.

Jeff

Tom Petersen

Here is a little more info, sorry should have explained what my final goal
was. I am creating a .vcs file from a form to import into Outlook. I was
just testing the output on screen then pasting that into a file, after
removing the extra white space, and inserting line breaks. The data is
valid, but the formatting into the file isn't working. Was I doing the
formatting right if I was generating a file? Here is the code again, and
the bit to generate the file:

strvCalendar = "BEGIN:VCALENDAR" & vbCrLf & _
"VERSION:1.0" & vbCrLf & _
"BEGIN:VEVENT" & vbCrLf & _
"DTSTART:" & strStart & vbCrLf & _
"DTEND:" & strStart & vbCrLf & _
"LOCATION;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:" & strLocation & vbCrLf & _
"UID:" & strStart & strSubject & vbCrLf & _
"DESCRIPTION;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:" & strDescription & vbCrLf & _
"SUMMARY;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:" & strSubject & vbCrLf & _
"PRIORITY:3" & vbCrLf & _
"END:VEVENT" & vbCrLf & _
"END:VCALENDAR" & vbCrLf

Response.ContentType = "text/x-vCalendar"
Response.AddHeader "Content-Disposition", _
"filename=Event" & "cal.vcs"
Response.Write strvCalendar
Response.End

This gernerates an error message in Outlook stating it can't import the
calendar file. But, again, if I paste the data into a text file with a .vcs
extension, and delete white space and insert line breaks I can double click
the file and it imports into Outlook fine, this is why I think I just don't
know how to format the 'output' correctly.

I appreciate the help!!!

Roland Hall

in message
:
[...]

Hi Tom...

Does the order matter? Yours is different than the one on this page.

http://www.devx.com/getHelpOn/10MinuteSolution/20508/0/page/4

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */