    well. Is it good form to use nbsp;'s to indent ? I am trying to avoid

    --
    When all other means of communication fail, try words.

    Kazoo, Jul 5, 2004

  2. Kazoo

    m Guest

    Kazoo wrote:
    > formatting poetry,
    >
    > I am about halfway done converting an public domain etext to html for
    > myself and others who may be intereted in such a thing.
    >
    > I want to use the best markup form possible and I think that the <br>'s
    > in formatted poetry are unavoidable, but periodically I have to indent as
    > well. Is it good form to use nbsp;'s to indent ? I am trying to avoid

    Investigate <pre>.
    (It's also a good way to present
    source code for programs on a webpage.)

    m, Jul 5, 2004

  3. Kazoo

    PeterMcC Guest

    Kazoo wrote in
    <0jjGc.9174$>

    > formatting poetry,
    >
    > I am about halfway done converting an public domain etext to html for
    > myself and others who may be intereted in such a thing.
    >
    > I want to use the best markup form possible and I think that the
    > to indent as well. Is it good form to use nbsp;'s to indent ? I am
    > trying to avoid <style>, though if that is the best way of doing it,
    > i'd be glad to.

    Sorry, CSS *is* the way to go - and, if you give it a try, I'm sure that
    you'll find it much the best route both in terms of ease and results.

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Jul 5, 2004
  4. Kazoo wrote:

    > I want to use the best markup form possible and I think that the <br>'s
    > in formatted poetry are unavoidable, but periodically I have to indent as
    > well.

    They are very avoidable. Use <pre>. Don't like the font? CSS font-family.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jul 5, 2004
  5. Kazoo

    jake Guest

    In message <0jjGc.9174$>, Kazoo
    <> writes
    >formatting poetry,
    >
    >I am about halfway done converting an public domain etext to html for
    >myself and others who may be intereted in such a thing.
    >
    >I want to use the best markup form possible and I think that the <br>'s
    >in formatted poetry are unavoidable, but periodically I have to indent as
    >well. Is it good form to use nbsp;'s to indent ? I am trying to avoid

    One thing that you may want to consider when preparing poetry is that
    quite often the poem is presented visually without any punctuation,
    presumably on the basis that the reader can determine the appropriate
    pauses from construct and the positioning of line breaks.

    This can present problems for users who will be listening to the poem
    through assistive technology devices (talking browser, screen-reader,
    text-to-Braille, etc.).

    Without punctuation, the words will tend to run into one another without
    pause.

    So, if the poem contains no punctuation for its visual presentation,
    consider providing an alternative 'accessible' version.

    regards.
    --
    Jake

    jake, Jul 5, 2004
  6. Kazoo <> writes:

    > formatting poetry,

    [...]

    > I want to use the best markup form possible and I think that the <br>'s
    > in formatted poetry are unavoidable, [...]

    BR says 'do something here', not 'this is a line'.
    If you are really just looking for *formatting* of poetry that or PRE
    might be OK. HTML as descriptive markup is merely a bad joke anyway.

    If you take it more serious, look e.g. at the example at

    <http://www.isgmlug.org/sgmlhelp/g-sg13.htm#SG132>

    In HTML, the best you can do is to reproduce such a strucure with DIV
    markup and recycle the used element type names as class names (to
    suggest presentational fine tuning, for example), except for the title
    that could be marked up with an appropriate heading.

    --
    | ) 111010111011 | http://bednarz.nl/
    -(

    Eric B. Bednarz, Jul 5, 2004
  7. Kazoo

    Kazoo Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 20:59:40 +0000, Kazoo wrote:

    thanks, one and all.

    pre it is, style tag and embedded css to add
    some beef to the font.

    --
    "... all the modern inconveniences ..."
    -- Mark Twain

    Kazoo, Jul 6, 2004
  8. Kazoo

    Webcastmaker Guest

    In article <0jjGc.9174$>,
    says...
    > I want to use the best markup form possible and I think that the <br>'s
    > in formatted poetry are unavoidable, but periodically I have to indent as
    > well. Is it good form to use nbsp;'s to indent ? I am trying to avoid

    Don't avoid it. But you don't need it. Create a class that is
    indented and just use that when it is needed. CSS is your friend.
    --
    WebcastMaker
    www.webentations.com

    Webcastmaker, Jul 6, 2004
  9. Kazoo

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 20:59:40 GMT, Kazoo <> wrote:

    : formatting poetry,
    :
    : I am about halfway done converting an public domain etext to html for
    : myself and others who may be intereted in such a thing.
    :
    : I want to use the best markup form possible and I think that the <br>'s
    : in formatted poetry are unavoidable, but periodically I have to indent as
    : well. Is it good form to use nbsp;'s to indent ? I am trying to avoid
    : <style>, though if that is the best way of doing it, i'd be glad to.

    Maybe <blockquote> then PRE? URL?

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Jul 6, 2004
  10. Kazoo

    Reid Guest

    Kazoo <> wrote in news:jFlGc.3055$sD4.2385
    @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 20:59:40 +0000, Kazoo wrote:
    >

    > thanks, one and all.
    >
    > pre it is, style tag and embedded css to add
    > some beef to the font.

    Interestingly, the WWWC used poetry as its example for a use of PRE.
    <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/text.html#h-9.3.4>

    Reid, Jul 11, 2004