formatting text with XSLT

Steven

I have song lyrics typed out in my XML file in paragraphcs (verse,
chorus, verse, etc) but when I load them with my XSLT stylesheet, the
paragraphs are lost and all the words are jumbled together. I've tried
everything I could find in Microsoft's SDK help file, but nothing
worked. any ideas?

Richard Light

In message said:
I have song lyrics typed out in my XML file in paragraphcs (verse,
chorus, verse, etc) but when I load them with my XSLT stylesheet, the
paragraphs are lost and all the words are jumbled together. I've tried
everything I could find in Microsoft's SDK help file, but nothing
worked. any ideas?

Are you willing to share examples of your XML, and your XSLT stylesheet,
with the group? We might then be able to help.

Steven

-------------------XML File-----------------------

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="/BBN/songs.xsl"?>

<data>
<artist>Hoobastank</artist>
<album>The Reason</album>
<release>2004</release>
<song title="The Reason" track="08">
I'm not a perfect person
As many things I wish I didn't do
But I continue learning
I never meant to do those things to you
And so I have to say before I go
That I just want you to know

I've found a reason for me
To change who I used to be
A reason to start over new
And the reason is you
</song>
</data>

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^XML File^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

select="artist"/> - <xsl:value-of select="album"/>
</i></font>
<xsl:for-each select="song">
<xsl:sort select="./@track"/>

<xsl:apply-templates select="."/>
</xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="song">
<xsl:value-of select="@title"/>
</b></font>
<xsl:value-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^XSL File^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Richard Light

The specific problem is that this code:

<xsl:value-of select="."/>

outputs the text of your <song> element, followed by an empty paragraph.
If you want the text _inside_ the paragraph, do:

<xsl:value-of select="."/>

However, this won't get you a lot further: the basic markup of each song
is a bit on the light side. If you had e.g.:

<verse>
<l>I'm not a perfect person</l>
<l>As many things I wish I didn't do</l>
</verse>
<verse>
<l>I've found a reason for me</l>

it would be possible to make much better use of the information, and
specifically it would make it easy to format it nicely using XSLT.

Richard

Steven

so there's no way to just have it displayed/copied exactly the way it's
typed in the XML?

Richard Light

In message said:
so there's no way to just have it displayed/copied exactly the way it's
typed in the XML?

Remember you are outputting this to HTML, so you are stuck with what a
browser will do to your output. If there isn't, as a minimum, a <br/>
tag at the end of each line, it will simply render your lyrics as one
big paragraph.

It _is_ possible to write XSLT to convert newlines in your source to
back over in microsoft.public.xsl), but marking up the source sensibly
in the first place is (in my view) a much cleaner way of going about the
job.

Richard

Martin Honnen

Steven said:
so there's no way to just have it displayed/copied exactly the way it's
typed in the XML?

If you are transforming to HTML you can use the <pre> element e.g.

<xsl:template match="song">
<h2><xsl:value-of select="@title" /></h2>
<pre><xsl:value-of select="." /></pre>
</xsl:template>

Steven

hey, the <pre> tag did it! Thanks Martin and Richard. That's what I
needed, because I didn't want the lyrics marked up any more than they
were.