formfeed \f, vertical tab \v usage

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Greenhorn, Mar 5, 2005.

  1. Greenhorn

    Greenhorn Guest

    Hi,
    Can i know how formfeed exactly works,
    also vertical tab, i have used vertical tab with printf() as shown
    below:

    printf("This is the \v line");

    the output:
    This is the ♂ line

    greenhorn.
     
    Greenhorn, Mar 5, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Greenhorn

    -berlin.de Guest

    Greenhorn <> wrote:
    > Can i know how formfeed exactly works,
    > also vertical tab, i have used vertical tab with printf() as shown
    > below:


    > printf("This is the \v line");


    > the output:
    > This is the ??? line


    Looks as if your terminal (or wherever the output goes to) doesn't
    understand the special character created by '\v'. I get

    This is the
    line

    Or are you perhaps sending the output to a file and then use a viewer
    that does not interpret the '\v' character as a vertical tab?

    Regards, Jens
    --
    \ Jens Thoms Toerring ___ -berlin.de
    \__________________________ http://www.toerring.de
     
    -berlin.de, Mar 5, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Greenhorn

    Greenhorn Guest

    i am not sending it to a file, its going to the terminal, seems its not
    recognizing, even the formfeed.

    greenhorn.
     
    Greenhorn, Mar 5, 2005
    #3
  4. On 5 Mar 2005 06:46:52 -0800, in comp.lang.c , "Greenhorn"
    <> wrote:

    >i am not sending it to a file, its going to the terminal, seems its not
    >recognizing, even the formfeed.


    Its worth considering what "formfeed" means - think paper forms.

    In any events, the way that escape sequences are interpreted is dependent
    on your output device hardware. Some hardware can't do some things (how to
    backspace on a teletype? how to go up one line on a single-line display?
    how to formfeed a VDU? ).

    --
    Mark McIntyre
    CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>
    CLC readme: <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt>
     
    Mark McIntyre, Mar 5, 2005
    #4
  5. Greenhorn

    Villy Kruse Guest

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 17:45:49 +0000,
    Mark McIntyre <> wrote:


    > On 5 Mar 2005 06:46:52 -0800, in comp.lang.c , "Greenhorn"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>i am not sending it to a file, its going to the terminal, seems its not
    >>recognizing, even the formfeed.

    >
    > Its worth considering what "formfeed" means - think paper forms.
    >



    In the old times there were printer where you could define vertical
    tab positions, for example on line 20 and line 50. The vertical tab
    character would then cause the printer to move to the next vertical
    tab position, which could be line number 50 if the current line is
    greater than 20. With todays printers you can use the escape
    character followed by some magic other characters to cause the same
    action.


    Villy
     
    Villy Kruse, Mar 7, 2005
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Chun-Chieh Wang

    What is formfeed

    Chun-Chieh Wang, Jul 3, 2003, in forum: C Programming
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    14,720
    Micah Cowan
    Jul 5, 2003
  2. Bill Nicholson
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    1,492
    Eliyahu Goldin
    Aug 2, 2007
  3. Spiros Bousbouras

    What good are vertical tab and form feed for ?

    Spiros Bousbouras, Aug 20, 2007, in forum: C Programming
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,000
    Barry Schwarz
    Aug 24, 2007
  4. Andy Fish

    vertical tab in XML

    Andy Fish, Nov 6, 2007, in forum: XML
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    2,916
    Pavel Lepin
    Nov 9, 2007
  5. PW

    ASP formfeed ?

    PW, May 19, 2004, in forum: ASP General
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    191
Loading...

Share This Page