    i know css is moving away from using tables but - frankly speaking - I'm not
    "there" yet....

    Frigetta
    Frigett, Jul 30, 2004

  2. Frigett

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Frigett" <>
    writing in news:hQgOc.138043$eO.121298@edtnps89:

    > hello,
    >
    > in my experience with designing user input forms, using tables for page
    > formatting, i often have problems where I lose the alignment of the
    > table, or the table exceeds the visible window horizontally.
    >
    > are there any "tips or secrets" about form-and-table formats that work?
    >
    > i know css is moving away from using tables but - frankly speaking -
    > I'm not "there" yet....

    Actually, you can do things very easily with CSS, and not have to use
    tables. For instance:

    label {display:block; float:left; width:10em; text-align:right;}
    input, select, textarea {margin-left:1em;}
    fieldset {padding:1em;}
    legend {padding:.5em;}
    br {clear:both;}
    p.submit {text-align:center;}
    </head>
    <form id="cssform" method="post" action="yourscript">
    <label for="firstname">First Name: </label> <input type="text"
    name="firstname" id="firstname"><br>
    <label for="lastname">Last Name: </label> <input type="text"
    name="lastname" id="lastname"><br>
    </fieldset>
    </form>

    You can also look at http://www.intraproducts.com/beta/requiredform.asp
    that has some nice things to do server and client side for missing required
    information. It is in ASP, but can easily be converted to another
    language.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com