Forms Auth. using Active Directory - time out

Guest

I have a web application (asp.net) that uses Forms authentication to
authenticate users against an Active Directory. The problem I have is that
most of the time this works great, but every once in a while users cannot log
on, they receive a time out message instead. Sometimes restarting the IIS
solves the problem; sometimes this doesn't help at all. I'm very confused as
what is causing this behaviour, I suspect that it is not code related, but
I'm not sure what it could be instead.

Has anyone experienced this kind of problem or does anyone have tips on how
to troubleshoot this?

bruce barker

active directory can be very slow. you need to bump up the timeout on the
login page.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

| I have a web application (asp.net) that uses Forms authentication to
| authenticate users against an Active Directory. The problem I have is that
| most of the time this works great, but every once in a while users cannot
log
| on, they receive a time out message instead. Sometimes restarting the IIS
| solves the problem; sometimes this doesn't help at all. I'm very confused
as
| what is causing this behaviour, I suspect that it is not code related, but
| I'm not sure what it could be instead.
|
| Has anyone experienced this kind of problem or does anyone have tips on
how
| to troubleshoot this?

Guest

Thank you for the advice, but I already have the timeout set to one minute,
the users won't accept that long time to log in. Is there anything else that
one can do to speed things up?

When everything works as it should it takes about a second to log on.

Why do you think i experience different login times? It spans from 1 second
to several minutes...

Thanks,

Anders Björk