Forms Authentication Problem

smita

Hi,

May I know how can I use Forms Authentication without storing my
credentials information in web.Config but in some other Xml file of my own .
Since I am creating users at runtime I need to store username and passwords
in a different xml file which i need to use to authenticate the users. But
how do i inform Forms Authentication about this b'coz as far as i know it
searches the credentials section in Web.Config file for authenticating the
users.

Any advice would be helpful.

thanx,
smita.

Hernan de Lahitte

I don´t know why you want to store user credentials in a xml file (despite
you can do it with forms auth) but I definitely don´t recommend you this
practice. I think that is not possible with forms auth to store the creds
outside the web.config file but you might implement your own auth scheme
with the file you want.

Holly Mazerolle

You can authenticate against other resources with forms authentication.
For example:
316748 HOW TO: Authenticate Against the Active Directory by Using Forms
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316748

Basically it would be up to you to write some code to authenticate against
this XML file.

HTH
Holly

Ted

You may also authenticate against a DB. You must perform the credentials test yourself, if it passes just call FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage() from within the login page. If it fails, don't redirect.