Forms Authentication Problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by vss, Aug 23, 2006.

  1. vss

    vss Guest

    Hi,
    I have a .net web application hosted within an asp web site.
    that is at root web is an ASP site under the root there is a .net web
    application.
    -root
    |_ DotNetApplication
    We have menus on a ASP page and on one menu item click it open a new browser
    window and in this new window I invoke my DotNetApplication page.
    The DotNetApplication uses forms authentication so it has authentication
    lines in Web.config of the DotNEtApplication.
    When user Invokes the Aplication from ASP page first time it works fine and
    a Login page is displayed...but if user click on the menu item on ASP page
    again it opens another window but this time it does not show the Login Page
    but tries to access some random page and I get redirection Error.
    If I close my ASP page browser window and try clicking on the menuitem it
    works and Login page shows up.

    Any help in resolving the issue is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    VS
    vss, Aug 23, 2006

  2. Hello,

    Regarding the issue, Can you show us some details on how you open a new
    browser window after user click the menu item, with some script? And how
    you invoke the ASP.NET page in the new window? This may help better
    understand the issue, and find what is going there.

    Also, if we directly access the ASP.NET web application (not from asp
    application) like opening http://myserver/DotNetApplication in IE directly,
    will this also generate the error?

    Sincerely,

    Luke Zhang

    Microsoft Online Community Support
    ications.

    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Aug 24, 2006

  3. vss

    vss Guest

    Code to open the asp.net page is
    LP's" border="0"></a>

    here Xtranet is an asp.net application under main web...It opens the asp.net
    pager correctly first time but fails on susequent Launch application.

    Thanks,

    v2ss

    vss, Aug 28, 2006
  4. Hello,

    With this hyber link, user will be redirected to the sub folder
    "/xtranet/". Is there a "default.aspx" file in this sub folder? By default,
    an authenticated user will be rediret to this page if we just access
    "/xtranet/".

    In you first message, you mentioned:

    but tries to access some random page and I get redirection Error.

    What is the redirection error? is it redirected to a page not existing?

    Also, if we directly access the ASP.NET web application (not from asp
    application) like opening "http://myserver/xtranet/"in IE directly,

    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Aug 29, 2006
  5. vss

    vss Guest

    Yes! Default.aspx is in this subfolder.
    The logic of my application is such that once user get authenticated it
    takes him to 'defaultstart.aspx'
    But as mentioned previously , if user try accessing the link second time it
    tries to take him to 'defaultstart.aspx' and as user is not authenticated it
    forces him back to 'default.aspx'( in browser url is
    http://www.myserver.com/Xtranet/Default.aspx?ReturnUrl=/Xtranet/DefaultStart.aspx)
    but this time around it gives 'The page isn't redirecting properly' error.

    if user click once on the link and it launches the xtranet application
    correctly...then if user opens IE and enter url address
    http://myserver/xtranet/ it again gives redirection error.
    But if user bypasses parent asp page and opens multiple IE sessions and
    entert the URL http://myserver/xtranet/ then it opens the application
    correclty in all browser windows.
    Sincerely,

    vss, Aug 30, 2006
  6. Hello,

    Thank you for the information.

    Regarding the error message "The page isn't redirected properly", is it a
    customized error message raised from your application. I didn't know a
    similar system error in ASP.NET. Can you check the code to see the code to
    generate such an error? what is the logic there?

    And, is the "Xtranet" set as a virtual folder in IIS? If so, you may check
    its properties in IIS manager and select "Documents". The default content
    page will be list there. If you want to user goto "defaultstart.aspx" with
    "http://myserver/xtranet/", you need add "defaultstart.aspx" here. If the
    "default.aspx" is just login form for form authentication, you may remove
    it here and only leave it in web.config like:

    <authentication mode="Forms">
    <forms name=".ASPXFORMSDEMO" loginUrl="default.aspx"
    protection="All" path="/" timeout="30" />
    </authentication>

    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Aug 31, 2006
  7. vss

    vss Guest

    Thanks for your response.
    But it did not resolve the problem..i changed the default content page...

    Another issue that i observed is that ..Once i open my application in my
    browser window...i can not navigate to any website otherthan my application
    in that window...If i type in www.microsoft.com...it takes me back to the
    Login page ..
    Please help me resolve the issue.
    Thanks,

    vss, Aug 31, 2006
  8. Hello,

    DId you say the ASP.NET application here? Let us say:

    1. You type "http://myserver/xtranet/" in IE, and it will first redierct
    you to the login form (defult.aspx)
    2. After authentication, it will redirect to "DefaultStart.aspx"
    3. If you type "http://www.microsoft.com" in the url text box of IE now
    (not only "www.microsoft.com"), it will redirect you to the defult.aspx?

    If my understanding is correct, you may check if there is any client script
    in the "DefaultStart.aspx", which restrict user to leave current page?
    Also, I suggest you may create a very simple ASPX page in the application,
    for example "test.aspx" with a blank form. Set this page as the default
    content page instead of "DefaultStart.aspx". In other words, user will be
    redirect to "test.aspx" after authentication (defult.aspx), will this make
    the problem disappear?

    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Sep 1, 2006