forms authentication returns 401 instead of going to login page

Andy Fish

Hi,

I have an app in the 1.1 framework that uses forms authentication .

In the normal case, if the user requests a page and is not logged in, he is
redirected to the login page. However, I have noticed that if the original
request includes a parameter called "ReturnUrl", the server immediately
responds with a 401 error.

I realise that ReturnUrl is also the name of a parameter used by forms
authentication, but I don't see why this should cause any conflict, so it
seems this is simply a bug in the framework. I can't find any documentation
to say that ReturnUrl is a reserved name and cannot be used as an HTTP
request parameter.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this (apart from not having the
parameter called ReturnUrl)? are there any other parameter names I should
avoid?

TIA

Andy

Malik Asif Joyia

Hello
send the URL String ....it is problem due to ReturnURL...
that is why server is giving error message of 401
Regards
Malik ASIF