Forms Authentication - Sudden Redirect Failure on Login

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Stephen Davies, Jul 6, 2006.

  1. I have a strange problem, for months now we have had a dotnet 2.0 application
    (previously 1.1 but now upgraded) running on a 2003 server without issue. A
    recent small change was made to the sites underlying code and tested on the
    development platform of Windows XP, migrated to the QA platform (a Win 2003
    server) and finally migrated to production.

    Just when you think you are following best practice procedures and fully
    testing in each environment the production system fails the login (forms
    authentication) for everyone. Now the change was to the binary alone so
    that's all that was replaced (I am using the VS2005 Web Deployment Project
    tool), so reverting the single old binary in the bin folder brought back the
    old login functionality.

    The code was reviewed, nothing in the login process was altered, debugging
    was added to show that the user was actually authenticated and retrieval of
    user data from the login further confirmed that. Its just when the redirect
    happens (confirmed correct with debug.writeline of GetRedirectUrl) that it
    seems forms authentication intercepts again and redisplays the login page (as
    if via a redirect, is not a postback). I have installed fiddler and it looks
    like the authentication cookie is correctly placed, I have even tried setting
    the authentication as cookieless, still the problem persists.

    I have also moved the code binary (and site) to another win2003 server box,
    again all works fine. Move the binary back to the production server and the
    login fails on redirect again!

    I can only assume there is something wrong with the .Net framework on the
    production server so did the following:
    Shut down IIS,
    delete the cache from
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files (using
    shift delete, and empty the recycle bin to be sure)
    Restart IIS and observe the recreation of the cache.

    Still the problem persists, I am lost and at wits end! I have changes that
    need to go into production and short of rebuilding the machine (I know that
    would fix it) I have run out of ideas.

    Does anyone have some fresh ideas or experienced this before themselves

    --
    Regards
    Stephen Davies

    Stephen Davies, Jul 6, 2006

  2. Hello Stephen,

    I suggest you may create a very simple form authentication web application
    and deply to the production server, to test if it is a IIS or .NET
    framework issue. Also, did the problem occur you update a new version of
    the binary assembly? Is the web.config file changed before the problem
    happened?

    Regards,

    Luke Zhang
    Microsoft Online Community Lead

    rights.)

    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Jul 6, 2006

  3. Thanks for the response Luke

    "Luke Zhang [MSFT]" wrote:

    > I suggest you may create a very simple form authentication web application
    > and deply to the production server, to test if it is a IIS or .NET
    > framework issue.

    How does this point to an IIS or .Net issue?

    I have the application deployed in a Production and Test site on the same
    IIS Server (different IP addresses & domain names) with the problem
    exhibiting the same symptoms on both sites. Move the same code (binary &
    aspx) to any number of other Win2003, Win2K and WinXp machines and the code
    works perfectly (as it has done for more that 12 months).

    >Also, did the problem occur you update a new version of
    > the binary assembly?

    Yes, the previous binary (on the production machine) still works (for some
    odd reason)

    >Is the web.config file changed before the problem happened?

    Nope.

    Stephen Davies, Jul 6, 2006
  4. Hello,

    Thank you for the update. Have you tried compile the project on the
    production server? Also, I saw you work with VS2005 and your original
    project is with .NET framework 1.1. Is it possible there is problem on .NET
    framework version? You may check the site's property in IIS manager, and
    select the ASP.NET tab, the .NET framework version registered is there.

    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Jul 7, 2006
  5. "Luke Zhang [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Thank you for the update. Have you tried compile the project on the
    > production server?

    This is not an option as the machine is a dedicated server (lots of red tape
    to get through). Shouldn't make any difference.

    I think you are missing the point here. The application has worked for
    nearly 12 months on this machine under the dotnet 2.0 framework, I can copy
    the site to other machines (that are dotnet 2.0) and the login process
    redirect works perfectly (win2k, win2003 and XP). I am sure its something in
    the framework that needs tending to, I just don't know what.

    >Also, I saw you work with VS2005 and your original
    > project is with .NET framework 1.1.

    It was upgraded to 2.0

    >Is it possible there is problem on .NET framework version?

    No, it is 2.0, it wouldn't work at all compiled with vs2005 if the framework
    was 1.1

    Stephen Davies, Jul 7, 2006
  6. Hello Stephen,

    Could you please show us the code you used for form authentication, for
    example, how did you call RedirectFromLoginPage method in your code? Is
    CookiePath specified in the method?

    Thanks,

    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Jul 10, 2006
  7. Remember this authentication method has been working for 6 months or more
    under .net 2.0 and at least 12 months before that under .net 1.1.

    The executable currently running on the box is still working!!! Its just
    when I recompile this one it fails. Move the executable and pages to another
    machines its fine, move it back to this one and it fails. This is what makes
    me think its a .net thing not a code this but here it is anyway:

    DateTime dtTimeout;
    if (bPersistant)
    dtTimeout = DateTime.Now.AddMonths(6);
    else
    dtTimeout = DateTime.Now.AddMinutes(60);

    FormsAuthentication.Initialize();
    FormsAuthenticationTicket ticket = new FormsAuthenticationTicket(
    1, // Ticket version
    strUser.ToUpper(), // Username associated with ticket
    DateTime.Now, // Date/time issued
    dtTimeout, // Date/time to expire
    bPersistant, // "true" for a persistent user cookie
    role, // User-data, in this case the roles
    FormsAuthentication.FormsCookiePath); // Path cookie valid for

    // Encrypt the cookie using the machine key for secure transport
    string hash = FormsAuthentication.Encrypt(ticket);
    HttpCookie cookie = new HttpCookie(FormsAuthentication.FormsCookieName, hash);

    // Set the cookie's expiration time to the tickets expiration time
    if (ticket.IsPersistent) cookie.Expires = ticket.Expiration;

    // Add the cookie to the list for outgoing response
    Response.Cookies.Add(cookie);

    if (redirectURL == null || redirectURL == "noRedirect") return;

    Debug.WriteLine("FormsAuthCore set cookie lastlogin->" + strUser.ToUpper());
    SetCookie("lastlogin", strUser.ToUpper());
    Debug.WriteLine("FormsAuthCore - Redirect to ->" + redirectURL);
    Response.Redirect(redirectURL);

    The last Debug.WriteLine has the correct redirectURL in it, it is just
    intercepted and front ended with the login page once again with the requested
    redirect URL (target secured page) in the ReturnUrl querystring variable.
    --
    Regards
    Stephen Davies

    Stephen Davies, Jul 17, 2006
  8. Didn't have the methods header on the last post so here is it complete:

    /// <summary>
    /// The central core for processing the forms authentication
    /// This has been located in the common PageBase to allow
    /// external function to call it and automatically log the
    /// user into the system.
    /// </summary>
    /// <param name="redirectURL"></param>
    /// <param name="role"></param>
    /// <param name="strUser"></param>
    protected void FormsAuthCore(string redirectURL, string role, string
    strUser, bool bPersistant)
    {
[...]

    // Don't call FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage since it could
    // replace the authentication ticket (cookie) we just added
    // string fred = FormsAuthentication.GetRedirectUrl(strUser, false);
    // Debug.WriteLine("FormsAuthCore GetRedirectURL (not used) ->" + fred);

    Stephen Davies, Jul 17, 2006
  9. Hello Stephen,

    Thank you for the code. After review the code, I suggest you may check
    following issues:

    1. Since you have check the redirectURL, and confirm it is correct. You may
    also check these values: FormsCookiePath, DateTime.Now and dtTimeout. ( I
    understand the system has been working for months, and these values are
    almost no problem. But it is still worthy of a try to ensure we have check
    everything there).
    2. Temporarily use FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage instead
    setting cookies by code. (Just ensure there is no problem on the cookies ).

    Please let me the result of above tests. I am looking forward to hear from
    you.

    Sincerely,

    Luke Zhang

    Microsoft Online Community Support
    ications.

    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Jul 18, 2006
  10. FormCookiePath is "/"

    dtTimeout set to one hour from the login time (in the case of non persistent)

    DateTime.Now is correct

    Removing the code

[...]

    and replacing with

    FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage(strUser.ToUpper(), bPersistant);
    return;

    Yields the problem on ALL platforms, the redirect does not happen. Switch
    back to the original code and it functions correctly (with the redirect to
    the desired secured page), interesting?

    The redirect still gets intercepted by the login authorisation on the
    production platform in either scenario.

    Regards
    Stephen Davies
    --
    Regards
    Stephen Davies

    Stephen Davies, Jul 19, 2006
  11. Just ensure we don't miss the simplest thing: If you copy the web.config
    from QA Server to the production sever, what is the result? Also, have you
    test the application by loging on the production server, opening IE and
    browsing thr web application? This make us ensure if there is any problem
    like proxy or firewall.

    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Jul 19, 2006
  12. Refer my original post, I have copied to complete site (web config included)
    to another win2003 box and it works perfectly

    As I mentioned I am sure its a .net problem not an application problem.

    --
    Regards
    Stephen Davies

    Stephen Davies, Jul 19, 2006
  13. To confirm if this is .NET framework issue, you may first try to
    re-register the ASP.NET on the server:

    Aspnet_regiis -ua

    and then:

    Aspnet_regiis -i

    For more details on Aspnet_regiis:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/1
    f74eac5-9005-4f91-9137-f63b73eefde8.mspx?mfr=true

    And you also can try to repair the framework:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;306160

    Luke Zhang [MSFT], Jul 20, 2006
  14. Stephen Davies

    Guest

    Any resolution to this issue? I have a similar problem: developing a
    web app in VS 2005 using forms authentication. My dev box is win XP and
    the app is in c#. Forms authentication used to work just fine on my dev
    box. Recently, the login page is not redirecting to the return URL, and
    I keep getting the login page back. I have a directory in the app with
    all the pages that require login. The directory as well as the login
    page are defined in web.config. Last version of the app is deployed to
    a win2003 server is working fine there. Now, I can't deploy the latest
    version until I fix forms authentication on my dev box and figure out
    what's going on?

    The code is very similar to Stephen's and the debug statements yield
    similar values. Sounds like an environment issue but I can't figure out
    what has happened. What do you guys think. Thanks, Khaled.

    Luke Zhang [MSFT] wrote:
    > To confirm if this is .NET framework issue, you may first try to
    > re-register the ASP.NET on the server:
    >
    > Aspnet_regiis -ua
    >
    > and then:
    >
    > Aspnet_regiis -i
    >
    > For more details on Aspnet_regiis:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/1
    > f74eac5-9005-4f91-9137-f63b73eefde8.mspx?mfr=true
    >
    > And you also can try to repair the framework:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;306160
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Luke Zhang
    >
    > Microsoft Online Community Support
    > ications.

    , Jul 24, 2006
  15. Hi Like (and Khaled)

    Well unfortunately we could not wait any longer and the box was rebuilt
    before I could resolve this issue.

    Upon reloading the site from the development XP machine (which has always
    worked) the production site functions as expected with the correct redirect.

    Thank you Luke for your attempts to resolve the issue and Khaled, sounds
    like you have a problem in your code if none of the platforms work. In my
    case the development platform functioned correctly but when shipping the
    login page and executable to the production environment failed, this said to
    me the code was fine.

    Do what Luke suggested and create a new simple project aspnet authentication
    project and see if that functions in your test environment. If it does then
    you need to look deeper into your code. You might further prove the code by
    shipping the aspx and assembly to another machine and trying it there.

    --
    Regards
    Stephen Davies

    Stephen Davies, Jul 26, 2006