Forms Authentication to protect .cgi application problem

Stephen Davies

I have enabled forms authentication on an IIS 6 W2k3 server to protect access
to the application files until authenticated.

The actual application apart from the login/logout files is .cgi based so I
have added a “Wildcard Application Map†entry

site properties
home directory tab
Configuration
Application Configuration

to point to the “aspnet_isapi.dll†so that .cgi application files must be
authenticated before they can run.

So far all seems to be working well, direct invocation of the .cgi
application is trapped and redirected to the login screen but after logging
in I am prompted with a download dialog (as if there were no mime type)

1. If I remove the Wildcard Application Mapping the .cgi application runs
2. If I allow users=â€*†in the authorization section of the web config (with
the wildcard application mapping in place) it also works perfectly.

On top of this I also have an httphandler routine to perform a URLRewrite to
catch the application logout command, although the symptoms above are exactly
the same when its removed from the web config.

Regards
Stephen Davies

[MSFT]

Hello Stephen,

How did you redirect from the logon form to the CGI file? If you code like:

Response.Redirect

or

Server.Transfer

Will it get work?