forms authentication with loginurl on a remote machine contd

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Hermit Dave, Jan 13, 2004.

  1. Hermit Dave

    Hermit Dave Guest

    Steven,

    Just a quick query.... in the two apps i have... it works fine on my local
    machine... but was talking to someone who was implementing a very similar
    method.... and it was then that i noticed... that the returnURL value...
    when it was forwarded to secure application contained
    "/virtualdir/virtualdir2/index.aspx"
    This would mean that in a scenario like mine.. where the second app is on a
    different server i would have to set a manual redirection to the first
    applicaton... (cause returnURL is not a fully qualified URL....

    however i did notice... that passport authentication (i know its a totally
    different mechanism) but the returnURL is indeed fully qualified...

    Was also reading some posts earlier when someone mentioned that the behavior
    was indeed very similar till beta 1 but was later on change to not have full
    URL
    would appreciate you comments on this...

    --
    Regards,

    HD

    PS: still havent tried it on my live servers (messed up the permissions on
    db and am waiting for it to be restored... )

    "Hermit Dave" <> wrote in message

    > Steven,
    >
    > I had already set the machine key value for one of the apps... all i had

    > do was use the same machine key and authentication across.
    > all i did was just copied the web.config file over to the other place...
    >
    > yes i am already using authenticaiton and role info stored in the db and

    am
    > hashing the password before storage during registration.
    >
    > And it did work just fine on my local dev machine with two different apps.
    >
    > The only difference in web.config files is that the loginurl for one of

    the

    --
    Regards,

    HD