Forms Authentication : Works locally but not when hosted in IIS???

I.W Coetzer

Hi

I have a Asp.Net 2.0 app which uses the built in Membership Role Provider
(sql server based) when I run it locally it allows me to create a new
account, log in and access the 'secured' pages.

but when I copy and host this site on a windows 2003 server IIS it does not
go to the 'secured' pages? i can also create an account and log on - but it
jumps back to the home page. the security must be working because when I
enter an incorrect password it does not jump to the home page and the
validator informs me that the user does not exist.

How does one get an asp.net 2.0 app that uses the membership provider etc.
to work in IIS?

I have already set it to anon. access and removed the windows integration
security option. (this will be an internet application - hopefully soon!)

Guest

Hi

I have a Asp.Net 2.0 app which uses the built in Membership Role Provider
(sql server based) when I run it locally it allows me to create a new
account, log in and access the 'secured' pages.

but when I copy and host this site on a windows 2003 server IIS it does not
go to the 'secured' pages? i can also create an account and log on - but it
jumps back to the home page. the security must be working because when I
enter an incorrect password it does not jump to the home page and the
validator informs me that the user does not exist.

How does one get an asp.net 2.0 app that uses the membership provider etc.
to work in IIS?

I have already set it to anon. access and removed the windows integration
security option. (this will be an internet application - hopefully soon!)

hmm, strange

If I were you, I would check if ASP.NET is properly installed on the
server. Try to reinstall it using aspnet_regiis.exe tool.

I.W Coetzer

I figured it out with the help of a colleague (thanks Sasa)

Because we are already using a forms authentication app on the same server
we had to give this one a new forms auth 'name'

Changed this: <forms name=".ASPXAUTH" loginUrl="

to this: <forms name=".RISAUTH" loginUrl="

solved the problem. !!!

Guest

I figured it out with the help of a colleague (thanks Sasa)

Because we are already using a forms authentication app on the same server
we had to give this one a new forms auth 'name'

Changed this: <forms name=".ASPXAUTH" loginUrl="

to this: <forms name=".RISAUTH" loginUrl="

solved the problem. !!!

Good to hear and thanks for letting us know!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313116