Forms authentication...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Paul Mason, Feb 21, 2005.

  1. Paul Mason

    Paul Mason Guest

    Hi folks,

    An odd one for the start of this week.

    I have a web project that I have taken over from a colleague. He had the
    authentication set to windows, but I have now changed that to forms
    authentication by putting the following xml in we.config :

    <authentication mode="Forms">

    <forms name="TICookie"

    loginUrl="logon.aspx"

    protection="All"

    timeout="10"

    path="/"

    requireSSL="false"

    slidingExpiration="true">

    </forms>

    </authentication>

    Unfortunately it isn't working. When I display my initial page
    (imaginativelly called default.aspx!) I expect it to re-direct to
    logon.aspx, but it doesn't. If I select the logon page manually (from a
    menu) I can connect and authenticate fine.

    I don't have a general problem with forms authentication. It works fine on
    a number of other systems. This is the first time I've changed the
    authentication method of a project, so I'm not sure if I've missed
    something.

    I've tried restarting IIS, but I haven't resorted to rebuilding the project
    yet.

    Any ideas?

    Cheers...P
    Paul Mason, Feb 21, 2005

  2. Paul Mason

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Paul, perhaps a sily question, but do you have the <authorization> set?

    <authorization>
    <deny users="?" />
    </authorization>

    the protection="All" in formsAuthentication is for how the cookie should be
    encrypted on the user's browser...not to say which pages (all) should be
    protected...

    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    http://www.openmymind.net/

    Karl Seguin, Feb 21, 2005

  3. Paul Mason

    Paul Mason Guest

    Hi,

    Yes...it's set to * at the moment. There are no <deny users>.

    Cheers...P

    Paul Mason, Feb 21, 2005
  4. Paul Mason

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Paul
    could you clarify this? are you saying you don' thave any <deny>'s in there?
    What's set to * ? the allow? the deny?

    karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials