    Ideally, I want this to be done without the registrant having to see
    it.

    Can anyone help me out here?

    Drew Kellas, Dec 4, 2003

  2. Drew Kellas

    Chris Smith Guest

    Drew Kellas wrote:
    > OK I admit it I'm new at java & java scripts. I have been asked to
    > create a registration form for a club page on the web. I have been
    > able to create my input boxes and am now trying to find a way to get
    > the material entered in the boxes to populate an email to myself.
    > Ideally, I want this to be done without the registrant having to see
    > it.
    >
    > Can anyone help me out here?

    Drew,

    I already replied to you in comp.lang.java.programmer, where you posted
    an identical article. If you would like to write to several places at
    once, it's really best to use a cross-post, which doesn't split up the
    resulting conversation, along with an appropriate followup header if
    possible. That also makes it easier on you, since you don't have to
    check many different places for isolated responses.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Dec 4, 2003

  3. (Drew Kellas) writes:

    > OK I admit it I'm new at java & java scripts.

    Very!
    I don't know what "Java scripts" are, but Java has nothing to do with
    the language we are discussing in this group: Javascript. It is not
    scripts written in Java. It is not Java. It is a completely different
    language. The marktoid at Netscape Corp who decided to rename
    LiveScript to JavaScript (probably to ride the wave of hype) will not
    soon be forgiven.

    > I have been asked to create a registration form for a club page on
    > the web. I have been able to create my input boxes and am now
    > trying to find a way to get the material entered in the boxes to
    > populate an email to myself.

    Use server side programming for that. Forms are basic HTML, and
    they work without any Javascript, including sending them to the
    server.

    If you use an action URL with the mailto: protocol, you can
    (sometimes) get the form sent as mail instead of to a server.
    However, that depends *heavily* on the configuration of the user's
    machine (he has a mail program and accepts mailto: URLs), and
    the format of the mail depends on the browser used too.

    It is much safer to just send it to a server that you control, and
    let that send the mail.

    > Ideally, I want this to be done without the registrant having to see
    > it.

    Cannot be done. Luckily. Otherwise you could send spam mail from
    people's browsers when they visit your page ... without them knowning.

    > Can anyone help me out here?

    1) Use server side programming.

    2) If completely unavailable, use some free mailer form that you find on
    the net, i.e., use somebody else's server side programming (I don't
    know where to begin to look).

    3) If desperate, use a mailto: URL as the action of the form, but expect
    it to fail.

    In none of these cases do you need Javascript.

    /L
    --
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen -

    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen, Dec 4, 2003