Forms in html

Toxic Ivy

Hi,

I've got a link on my site to subscribe to my mailinglist. I am using the
mailinglist service from Coollist (www.coollist.com).

The code Coollist had on it's site is:

<form method=POST action=http://www.coollist.com/cgi-bin/subscribe.pl>
<input type=hidden name=list value=YOURLIST> <center>
<input type=text size=20 name=email>

When I enter an email adres and press the Subscribe button, I get
re-directed to the Coollist page in the first line.

Is there a way to post the email adres to the Coollist page and get
re-directed to a page I have made myself. Or, if that isn't possible, can I
get redirected to the Coollist page is a new window.

The reason I ask, is because my site has frames and it just doesn't look
good to have the Coollist page within the frames of my site.

Thank you,
Ivan
www.mistofredeemer.com

Hywel Jenkins

Hi,

I've got a link on my site to subscribe to my mailinglist. I am using the
mailinglist service from Coollist (www.coollist.com).

The code Coollist had on it's site is:

<form method=POST action=http://www.coollist.com/cgi-bin/subscribe.pl>
<input type=hidden name=list value=YOURLIST> <center>
<input type=text size=20 name=email>

When I enter an email adres and press the Subscribe button, I get
re-directed to the Coollist page in the first line.

Is there a way to post the email adres to the Coollist page and get
re-directed to a page I have made myself. Or, if that isn't possible, can I
get redirected to the Coollist page is a new window.

The reason I ask, is because my site has frames and it just doesn't look
good to have the Coollist page within the frames of my site.

What does the CoolList documentation tell you?

David Dorward

Toxic said:
I've got a link on my site to subscribe to my mailinglist. I am using the
mailinglist service from Coollist (www.coollist.com).

The code Coollist had on it's site is:

<form method=POST action=http://www.coollist.com/cgi-bin/subscribe.pl>

Well that's wrong for a start. The value of the action attribute doesn't
meet the requirements for quote marks to be optional. You must have quote
marks around that value.
<input type=hidden name=list value=YOURLIST> <center>
<input type=text size=20 name=email>

That's not very good either.

<label for="email">Please enter your email address:</label>
<input type=text size=20 name=email id="email">

would be rather better. You can style the label to be bold if you like.
When I enter an email adres and press the Subscribe button, I get
re-directed to the Coollist page in the first line.

Is there a way to post the email adres to the Coollist page and get
re-directed to a page I have made myself.
No.

Oh dear. http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames
and it just doesn't look
good to have the Coollist page within the frames of my site.

<form ... target="_top"> would be less annoying the a new window, while
still dealing with the issue of your frames surrounding a third party site.

Toxic Ivy

Hywel Jenkins said:
What does the CoolList documentation tell you?

It just gives me the code and that I have to replace "YOURLIST" with the
accountname. That's all.

Ivan

Toxic Ivy

David Dorward said:
action=http://www.coollist.com/cgi-bin/subscribe.pl>

Well that's wrong for a start. The value of the action attribute doesn't
meet the requirements for quote marks to be optional. You must have quote
marks around that value.

Just did that. It makes sense.

That's not very good either.

<label for="email">Please enter your email address:</label>
<input type=text size=20 name=email id="email">

would be rather better. You can style the label to be bold if you like.

I tried that as well, but what is the benefit of this? It still lookes the
same... or is that just me.

That's too bad... :-(

Yuck. <form ... target="_blank">

Sorry... I did the target="_top". It lookes better.

Sorry man, I didn't built the site... I'm just maintaining it. I'm just
getting started on the site building business.
If I ever build a site myself, I will try to avoid frames... happy now??
;-p

<form ... target="_top"> would be less annoying the a new window, while
still dealing with the issue of your frames surrounding a third party site.

Thank very much for your help.

Ivan

David Dorward

I tried that as well, but what is the benefit of this? It still lookes the
same... or is that just me.

Try it with a a screen reader, or try clicking on the label.