Forms in html

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Toxic Ivy, Apr 15, 2005.

  1. Toxic Ivy

    Toxic Ivy Guest

    Hi,

    I've got a link on my site to subscribe to my mailinglist. I am using the
    mailinglist service from Coollist (www.coollist.com).

    The code Coollist had on it's site is:

    <form method=POST action=http://www.coollist.com/cgi-bin/subscribe.pl>
    <input type=hidden name=list value=YOURLIST> <center>
    <input type=text size=20 name=email>

    When I enter an email adres and press the Subscribe button, I get
    re-directed to the Coollist page in the first line.

    Is there a way to post the email adres to the Coollist page and get
    re-directed to a page I have made myself. Or, if that isn't possible, can I
    get redirected to the Coollist page is a new window.

    The reason I ask, is because my site has frames and it just doesn't look
    good to have the Coollist page within the frames of my site.

    Thank you,
    Ivan
    www.mistofredeemer.com
    Toxic Ivy, Apr 15, 2005

  2. In article <4260309e$0$25646$>,
    i.v.montauban*no*@*spam*gmx.li says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got a link on my site to subscribe to my mailinglist. I am using the
    > mailinglist service from Coollist (www.coollist.com).
    >
    > The code Coollist had on it's site is:
    >
    > <form method=POST action=http://www.coollist.com/cgi-bin/subscribe.pl>
    > <input type=hidden name=list value=YOURLIST> <center>
    > <input type=text size=20 name=email>
    >
    > When I enter an email adres and press the Subscribe button, I get
    > re-directed to the Coollist page in the first line.
    >
    > Is there a way to post the email adres to the Coollist page and get
    > re-directed to a page I have made myself. Or, if that isn't possible, can I
    > get redirected to the Coollist page is a new window.
    >
    > The reason I ask, is because my site has frames and it just doesn't look
    > good to have the Coollist page within the frames of my site.

    What does the CoolList documentation tell you?

    --
    Hywel
    Hywel Jenkins, Apr 15, 2005

  3. Toxic Ivy wrote:

    > I've got a link on my site to subscribe to my mailinglist. I am using the
    > mailinglist service from Coollist (www.coollist.com).
    >
    > The code Coollist had on it's site is:
    >
    > <form method=POST action=http://www.coollist.com/cgi-bin/subscribe.pl>

    Well that's wrong for a start. The value of the action attribute doesn't
    meet the requirements for quote marks to be optional. You must have quote
    marks around that value.

    > <input type=hidden name=list value=YOURLIST> <center>
    > <input type=text size=20 name=email>

    That's not very good either.

    <label for="email">Please enter your email address:</label>
    <input type=text size=20 name=email id="email">

    would be rather better. You can style the label to be bold if you like.

    > When I enter an email adres and press the Subscribe button, I get
    > re-directed to the Coollist page in the first line.
    >
    > Is there a way to post the email adres to the Coollist page and get
    > re-directed to a page I have made myself.

    No.

    > Or, if that isn't possible, can
    > I get redirected to the Coollist page is a new window.

    Yuck. <form ... target="_blank">

    Oh dear. http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames

    > and it just doesn't look
    > good to have the Coollist page within the frames of my site.

    <form ... target="_top"> would be less annoying the a new window, while
    still dealing with the issue of your frames surrounding a third party site.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Apr 15, 2005
  4. Toxic Ivy

    Toxic Ivy Guest

    "Hywel Jenkins" <> schreef in bericht
    > In article <4260309e$0$25646$>,
    > i.v.montauban*no*@*spam*gmx.li says...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I've got a link on my site to subscribe to my mailinglist. I am using

    the
    > > mailinglist service from Coollist (www.coollist.com).
    > >
    > > The code Coollist had on it's site is:
    > >
    > > <form method=POST

    action=http://www.coollist.com/cgi-bin/subscribe.pl>
    > > <input type=hidden name=list value=YOURLIST> <center>
    > > <input type=text size=20 name=email>
    > >
    > > When I enter an email adres and press the Subscribe button, I get
    > > re-directed to the Coollist page in the first line.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to post the email adres to the Coollist page and get
    > > re-directed to a page I have made myself. Or, if that isn't possible,

    can I
    > > get redirected to the Coollist page is a new window.
    > >
    > > The reason I ask, is because my site has frames and it just doesn't look
    > > good to have the Coollist page within the frames of my site.

    > What does the CoolList documentation tell you?
    >
    > --
    > Hywel

    It just gives me the code and that I have to replace "YOURLIST" with the
    accountname. That's all.

    Ivan
    Toxic Ivy, Apr 15, 2005
  5. Toxic Ivy

    Toxic Ivy Guest

    "David Dorward" <> schreef in bericht
    > Toxic Ivy wrote:
    >
    > > The code Coollist had on it's site is:
    > >
    > > <form method=POST

    action=http://www.coollist.com/cgi-bin/subscribe.pl>

    > Well that's wrong for a start. The value of the action attribute doesn't
    > meet the requirements for quote marks to be optional. You must have quote
    > marks around that value.

    Just did that. It makes sense.

    > > <input type=hidden name=list value=YOURLIST> <center>
    > > <input type=text size=20 name=email>

    > That's not very good either.
    >
    > <label for="email">Please enter your email address:</label>
    > <input type=text size=20 name=email id="email">
    >
    > would be rather better. You can style the label to be bold if you like.

    I tried that as well, but what is the benefit of this? It still lookes the
    same... or is that just me.

    > > When I enter an email adres and press the Subscribe button, I get
    > > re-directed to the Coollist page in the first line.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to post the email adres to the Coollist page and get
    > > re-directed to a page I have made myself.

    > No.

    That's too bad... :-(

    > > Or, if that isn't possible, can
    > > I get redirected to the Coollist page is a new window.

    > Yuck. <form ... target="_blank">

    Sorry... I did the target="_top". It lookes better.

    > > The reason I ask, is because my site has frames

    > Oh dear. http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames

    Sorry man, I didn't built the site... I'm just maintaining it. I'm just
    getting started on the site building business.
    If I ever build a site myself, I will try to avoid frames... happy now??
    ;-p

    > > and it just doesn't look
    > > good to have the Coollist page within the frames of my site.

    > <form ... target="_top"> would be less annoying the a new window, while
    > still dealing with the issue of your frames surrounding a third party

    site.

    > Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    Thank very much for your help.

    Ivan
    Toxic Ivy, Apr 15, 2005
  6. Toxic Ivy wrote:
    >> <label for="email">Please enter your email address:</label>
    >> <input type=text size=20 name=email id="email">

    > I tried that as well, but what is the benefit of this? It still lookes the
    > same... or is that just me.

    Try it with a a screen reader, or try clicking on the label.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Apr 15, 2005