FORMS: Rank Data from User Input

Sylvie Stone

Hello Gurus! re: http://www.cranberrycorners.ca/rank/rankonly.html

I'm creating an online survey and one of the questions asks people to
rank 5 characteristics in order of importantce. I'm not too sure how
to do this effieciently.

Currently I am using a pull down menu with all 5 options in each pull
down like this:
http://www.cranberrycorners.ca/rank/rankonly.html

Should I just assign a number for each characteritic and then the
database field will storee the data like this: 2,5,1,3,4

???

This isn't making a lot of sense right now.

Any advice or comments on how to do this better or improve on my own
strategy would be greatly appreciated!

Sylvie.

Augustus

Sylvie Stone said:
Hello Gurus! re: http://www.cranberrycorners.ca/rank/rankonly.html

I'm creating an online survey and one of the questions asks people to
rank 5 characteristics in order of importantce. I'm not too sure how
to do this effieciently.

Currently I am using a pull down menu with all 5 options in each pull
down like this:
http://www.cranberrycorners.ca/rank/rankonly.html

Should I just assign a number for each characteritic and then the
database field will storee the data like this: 2,5,1,3,4

???

This isn't making a lot of sense right now.

Any advice or comments on how to do this better or improve on my own
strategy would be greatly appreciated!

Since you don't have that many options, I would maybe do it instead with 5
radio buttons on the left hand side, and then the options on the right hand
side... kinda like:

1 2 3 4 5
O O O O O Item 1
O O O O O Item 2
O O O O O Item 3
O O O O O Item 4
O O O O O Item 5

So your radio buttons under #1 all share the same name, but a different
value