FORMS: Rank Data from User Input

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Sylvie Stone, Dec 2, 2003.

  1. Sylvie Stone

    Sylvie Stone Guest

    Hello Gurus! re: http://www.cranberrycorners.ca/rank/rankonly.html

    I'm creating an online survey and one of the questions asks people to
    rank 5 characteristics in order of importantce. I'm not too sure how
    to do this effieciently.

    Currently I am using a pull down menu with all 5 options in each pull
    down like this:
    http://www.cranberrycorners.ca/rank/rankonly.html

    Should I just assign a number for each characteritic and then the
    database field will storee the data like this: 2,5,1,3,4

    ???

    This isn't making a lot of sense right now.

    Any advice or comments on how to do this better or improve on my own
    strategy would be greatly appreciated!

    Sylvie.

    Sylvie Stone, Dec 2, 2003

  2. Sylvie Stone

    Augustus Guest

    "Sylvie Stone" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Gurus! re: http://www.cranberrycorners.ca/rank/rankonly.html
    >
    > I'm creating an online survey and one of the questions asks people to
    > rank 5 characteristics in order of importantce. I'm not too sure how
    > to do this effieciently.
    >
    > Currently I am using a pull down menu with all 5 options in each pull
    > down like this:
    > http://www.cranberrycorners.ca/rank/rankonly.html
    >
    > Should I just assign a number for each characteritic and then the
    > database field will storee the data like this: 2,5,1,3,4
    >
    > ???
    >
    > This isn't making a lot of sense right now.
    >
    > Any advice or comments on how to do this better or improve on my own
    > strategy would be greatly appreciated!

    Since you don't have that many options, I would maybe do it instead with 5
    radio buttons on the left hand side, and then the options on the right hand
    side... kinda like:

    1 2 3 4 5
    O O O O O Item 1
    O O O O O Item 2
    O O O O O Item 3
    O O O O O Item 4
    O O O O O Item 5

    So your radio buttons under #1 all share the same name, but a different
    value

    Augustus, Dec 2, 2003