forms

Hugh Welford

hi - I have a form with 6 multiline text boxes each accepting data to be
stored in a memo field.

the form accept as much date as can be typed, but refuses to send data after
a certain limit (havent actually counted the # characters)

Is there a limit to the number of characters a form can send, or is it some
other design problem

Thanks Hugh

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

What does "refuses to send" mean? Do you get an error? Are you only seeing
some of your data in a database? If so, what kind of database? What's the
data type of the column? What version of IIS? What does your code look
like?

Ray at home

Hugh Welford

Hi Ray

"refuses to send" means that the submit button ceases to function after a
certain amount of data has been typed into one or any of the text boxes -
delete one character and the form becomes active andsends.

No error - just an inactive submit button - nothing at all happens

No data gets to the data base (ACCESS) - destined for a memo field.

IIS 6

Since you are asking these questions, you have answered my original question
in the negative i.e. there is no limit, so it must be another design fault.
The code is horrendous - I will try to reconstruct the form and see how I
get on

Thanks for your time

Hugh

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

That sounds like a bizarre browser issue then. Either that, or someone put
in some client-side code to disable the submit button when a field reaches a
certain length. If you think about what aSp is, you'll see that it can't be
an ASP issue if a submit button in a browser goes from enabled to disabled
while filling out a form. If you didn't write page, look for javascript
functions that are checking the lengths of the values in your textareas and
disabling the submit button.

BTW, there is a limit on posted data:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2223

Ray at home

Hugh Welford

Thanks Ray - great help

Posted it in asp in habit cos you guys are great and know all the answers!!!

Hugh