FormsAuthentication cookie problems

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Scott, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Our website is confugred to use Forms Authentication. The web.config
    <authentication> element has the timeout property set to 45 (minutes). We
    are setting the cookie using the RedirectFromLoginPage() which should use
    the <authentication> timeout value to configure it properly. At least thats
    my understanding of how it should work.

    Most times we have no problems, but occasionally a request will come into
    the server and the client is redirected to the login page for no reason. We
    have looked at the IIS logs and the request coming in has the same
    authentication cookie that was assigned previously. But all of a sudden IIS
    doesn't like it anymore, after a period of 5 or 10 minutes, nothing near the
    timeout value.

    I have read previous posts that mention Decrypt() occasionally fails to
    decrypt the cookie properly, which causes the client to be redirected to
    login. Does anyone know if this is a known bug? Does anyone have any other
    suggestions?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Scott Lorenz

    Scott, Oct 3, 2003