FormsAuthentication doesn't redirect properly after timeout

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Danny, Jun 17, 2004.

  1. Danny

    Danny Guest

    Hi there,

    I was wondering if anyone would be able to shed some light on the
    following behaviour for me.

    I have an application that is using Forms Authentication with
    non-persistent cookies, a forms timeout of 10 minutes, and a
    FormsAuthenticationTicket Expiration of 10 minutes. Almost everything is
    working as expected... when users try to enter restricted parts of the
    site they are redirected to the login.aspx page that I have specified in
    order to authenticate themselves. Once authenticated they are returned
    successfully to the originally requested page.

    (aside: I am able to do this using a call to
    Response.Redirect(FormsAuthentication.GetRedirectUrl(txtUserName.Text,
    false)); or FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage(txtUserName.Text,
    false); - either method works.)

    If the timeout expires and the user then wishes to access some
    restricted content again, they are booted back to the login page
    (obviously, this is supposed to happen). The part that doesn't work as
    expected is as follows:

    After this timeout, once the user then successfully
    authenticates themself again they do not get redirected to the page they
    were trying for, instead they are redirected to default.aspx at the root
    of the application.

    I noticed that there is no ReturnUrl parameter present in the query
    string when redirected to the login page following an authentication
    timeout.

    Hope to hear from someone.

    Regards,

    Danny