Formula for websafe colours?

John Latter

Hi,

Is there a formula whereby a tint can be applied to a 'grey' (not
really black & white) image so that the result becomes a websafe
colour?

For example, I have an image whose (predominant) grey is #808080 (not
websafe) and in this particular instance I added #66ffcc (a websafe
'green' and ended up with a predominant green tint of #008061 (not
websafe).

I hope the above makes some kind of sense! To put it another way, if I
start off with:

#808080

I want to know how to 'add' to it a tint of

#xxxxxxx

so that I end up with a websafe colour of

#yyyyyy

(um, I also hope the question isn't too off-topic for this
newsgroup..)

--

John Latter

The 'Socially Acceptable Violence' website:
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/sac.html

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

rf

John Latter said:
Hi,

Is there a formula whereby a tint can be applied to a 'grey' (not
really black & white) image so that the result becomes a websafe
colour?

Why bother? "Websafe" colours disappeard when 8 bit colour cards did,
towards the end of last century :)

Cheers
Richard.

Toby A Inkster

John said:
Is there a formula whereby a tint can be applied to a 'grey' (not
really black & white) image so that the result becomes a websafe
colour?

"Web safe colours" are a throwback to the days of 256-colour monitors.
They can safely be ignored.

John Latter

Thanks to everyone who replied! :)

I'm (mostly) only going to use one two-tone background image on my web
pages so I hope I'm ok in assuming that I won't exceed the 256 limit
which rf refers to in his referenced post (ty brucie) at:

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

Toby said that websafe colors can now be safely ignored but I went to
Isofarro's link at

http://www.html-faq.com/graphic/?colourpicker

which gives a link to

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/types.html#type-color

which says:
Colors specified with the BODY and FONT elements and bgcolor
on tables look different on different platforms (e.g., workstations,
Macs, Windows, and LCD panels vs. CRTs), so you shouldn't rely
entirely on a specific effect. In the future, support for the [SRGB]
color model together with ICC color profiles should mitigate this problem."

Having set the colour to my background image I then want to set the
boby background colour to the same value - does the above quote mean
that the image may (under certain circumstances) display one
predominant colour for the image and a slightly different one for the
background?

I'm pleased that websafe colours can be ignored but I did figure out
how to add the tint: Any combination of rgb values of 0, 158, 211
added to #808080 will give a websafe colour - glad I ain't restricted
anymore :)

Thanks again folks!

--

John Latter

The 'Socially Acceptable Violence' website:
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/sac.html

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

John Latter

<q>By dithering 2 or 3 browser safe colors, it is possible to make
over 10 million different combinations.</q>
http://www.colormix.com/

rf's novella on web safe colors:
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

Hi Brucie,

Does this mean that if I choose a predominant colour for my background
image which is made up of dithering 2 or 3 websafe colours then all
browsers/platforms will have no problem making the match? if so, I
guess this would also apply to the background colour and I'll have no
problem! (er, I think..)

--

John Latter

The 'Socially Acceptable Violence' website:
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/sac.html

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

brucie

Does this mean that if I choose a predominant colour for my background
image which is made up of dithering 2 or 3 websafe colours then all
browsers/platforms will have no problem making the match?

no. even identical graphics cards with identical drivers display
colors differently. i really think you're worrying about nothing.

andy johnson

"Web safe colours" are a throwback to the days of 256-colour monitors.
They can safely be ignored.

Aren't web safe colors those 216 colors that Netscape can only use?
-
Andy

"There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
- (Calvin and Hobbes) (this email addy is never checked...)