Formular data exchange: Is the code cleanly HTML?

Markus Stein

In a previous thread I asked "How to exchange data between forms in one document with pure HTML"?

Now I find a solution not with pure HTML but with a little bit of Javacript
(onclick="this.form.textfeld.value='...'). But I have not a question
about JavaScript but about the correctness of my code.

It works. But is it also correct?

Is it Standard HTML that I can see in a form the variables
that I have defined in another form?

This works with FF1.5 and IE7:

<head>
<title>Formular-Test</title>
</head>
<h3>Formular Test</h3>

<h3>Formular 1</h3>
<form name="Formular1" action="input_button.htm">
<textarea cols="20" rows="4" name="textfeld"></textarea>
<input type="button" name="Text 1" value="Show text 1"
onclick="this.form.textfeld.value='ABC'">
<input type="button" name="Text 2" value="Show text 2"
onclick="this.form.textfeld.value='123'">
</form>

<h3>Formular 2</h3>
<form name="Formular2" action="input_button.htm">
<textarea cols="20" rows="4" name="textfeld2"></textarea>
<input type="button" name="Text 3" value="Show Textarea from formular 1"
onclick="this.form.textfeld2.value=Formular1.textfeld.value">
</form>

Jonathan N. Little

Markus said:
In a previous thread I asked "How to exchange data between forms in one
document with pure HTML"?

Now I find a solution not with pure HTML but with a little bit of Javacript
(onclick="this.form.textfeld.value='...'). But I have not a question
about JavaScript but about the correctness of my code.

It works. But is it also correct?

*IF* JavaScript is enabled, but whether or not JavaScript is enabled on
the client's computer is *not* in your control. Therefore if this is
required for the page to function, then the answer is "no", it is not
correct. What would be correct is to use JavaScript if available, but
also provide a fallback if it is not. The fallback would require the
user to submit the form and a server-side script would fill in the value
for the second form when it rebuilds the page. Note however that a
server-side script will only receive values from a single form, the one
submitted...