Formview Control - Identifying if a change has been made

Neil

I need to be able to determine if a user has actually made a change
when on either the edititem or insertitem templates of a formview
control.

Is there a standard way of handling this to prevent the user from
moving off the page.

I haven't seen this topic mentioned in any books I've looked at but it
must be something that everybody has to tackle in a production system.

Bruce Barker

this can only be done with client script. catch the page unload event. the
unload fires whenever the a new page is loaded, even the postback for the
page, so you will need some logic added in the postback routine to notify
the unload routine, that it does not need to do any checks.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Neil

Thanks Bruce

I have a menu on a master page and my formview is on a content page.

If the user selects a different page off the menu the unload event
wouldn't be fired on the original page would it as it isn't being
posted back at that stage?

I have to admit to being rather confused about this area. It was
something that I didn't really need to think about in VB.

Do you have a reference to some sample code you can point me to so i
can get my head round this?