Formview doesn't work on update with asp:Table. Now what?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by David, Jun 1, 2009.

  1. David

    David Guest

    I'm pretty new at ASP.Net, and I have run into a problem. I have been tasked
    to write an application, and it is supposed to mimic an existing form,
    including layout, as closely as possible. A page contains information about
    a single part, but there are lots of fields.

    An asp:formview object seemed like an obvious choice, so I made one of
    those. Then, since I had to specify layouts to match an existing form, I
    needed a way to position the fields properly, so I used an asp:Table, along
    with asp:TableRow and asp:TableCell objects. So far so
    good....except....there's a bug and asp:Table objects don't end up updating
    the database when you put them in an EditItemTemplate, so you can't really
    use them in a FormView.

    that seems to work, but it isn't as easy to deal with as their <asp:>
    equivalents.

    Is there a more "standard" way of dealing with forms that take their data
    from a single data row, and have to be formatted with particular layouts that
    aren't based on a grid-like layout?

    David, Jun 1, 2009

  2. Hi David,

    >Is there a more "standard" way of dealing with forms that take their data
    >from a single data row, and have to be formatted with particular layouts

    that
    >aren't based on a grid-like layout?

    I believe what you did is the "standard" way. To get a more flexible
    layout, <div> is a better choice than <table>, however. The following
    article compares <div> with <table>.

    http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=TablesVsDivs

    Please try to use <div> and feel free to ask if you have additional
    questions.

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support

    .

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Jun 2, 2009

  3. Hi David,

    >Is there a more "standard" way of dealing with forms that take their data
    >from a single data row, and have to be formatted with particular layouts

    that
    >aren't based on a grid-like layout?

    Do you have any progress on this issue?

    Regards,