FormView DropdownList - On Selection Change populate Text Box

Satish

C#, ASP.NET
Q: Have a formview, with a dropdownlist which is bound to a column. This
dropdownlist has a datasource of DataSet type. Now my objective is, on
Selection Changed of this DropdownList, I need to populate a couple of
TextBox's. How can I do this? What event does the code go into? The
selectionindexchanged even for the DropDownList does not seem to fire.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Just Me

The selectIndexChanged event absolutely should fire. However, if you are
expecting it to cause a postback when you change the selection, you need to
set the AutoPostback property= true in the properties for this control.

Once you have got the event fireing its jsut a matter of writing your code
based on the selected index data.

HTH

Satish

Nope, tried adding code in SelectionIndexChanged Event and even tried with
the Debugger, nothing.

Just Me

Does your page_load event fire ?, if not, check that your Autowireup event
is set to true. Also, you didnt comment on the Autopostback I mentioned have
you checked this.

Whatever you problem is, its likely to be very basic.

Just Me

Should read "Autowireup" @page property

Just Me said:
Does your page_load event fire ?, if not, check that your Autowireup event
is set to true. Also, you didnt comment on the Autopostback I mentioned
have you checked this.

Whatever you problem is, its likely to be very basic.

Stan

The selectIndexChanged event absolutely should fire. However, if you are
expecting it to cause a postback when you change the selection, you need to
set the AutoPostback property= true in the properties for this control.

Once you have got the event fireing its jsut a matter of writing your code
based on the selected index data.

HTH

Unfortunately, even when AutoPostback is enabled on a drop-downlist it
won't trigger a postback unless the selected value is *different* from
the previous one (or unless the SelectedIndex property actually
changes). Merely clicking on it will not do the trick.

This exposes a fundamental problem with Satish's design. Since the DDL
is preloaded with data it will not necessarily work in the intended
fashion. The best approach is to preload the other controls with
relevent data (based on the initial selection) during the FormView
DataBound event.

claritymedispa

C#, ASP.NET
Q: Have a formview, with a dropdownlist which is bound to a column. This
dropdownlist has a datasource of DataSet type. Now my objective is, on
Selection Changed of this DropdownList, I need to populate a couple of
TextBox's. How can I do this? What event does the code go into? The
selectionindexchanged even for the DropDownList does not seem to fire.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

why not use javascipt?
if you have element, for example, like this:
<select id="selectDriveList"
onchange="change_drive(this.options[this.selectedIndex].value);">
<option .....>
<option ....>
</select>

then javascript:
<script>
function change_drive( drive_letter )
{
document.getElementById("textTextBox1").value ="user selected " +
drive_letter;
}
</script>

no?

... more at http://www.siccolo.com/articles.asp

Satish

Page load fires, regardless of Postback - true/false.

However, the selectionindexchanged event just does not fire.
I read thru the AutoEventWireup attribute and made sure that it is set to
true everywhere, webconfig as well as the aspx page itself.

I am also using VS2008.