FormView & object

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by David Thielen, Jan 31, 2007.

  1. David Thielen, Jan 31, 2007

  2. Hello Dave,

    As for the ASP.NET FormView control, it is the same as normal databound
    control, you can supply a custom class instance as Datasource through its
    "DataSource" property and call DataBind method to perform the databinding.
    The difference here is that when you manually supply the custom data object
    and perform databinding, you also need to manually bandle all the
    edit/update/delete events(hooking the ItemUpdating ..... events) and put
    your own code logic there.

    One way to still facilitate the ASP.NET 2.0 databound control/data source
    control model is to define a custom class which wrapper your custom data
    class that will be manipulated through FormView. Then, you can configure
    the ObjectDatasource to use your that wrapper class. How do you think?

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    ications.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 31, 2007

  3. I tried that but when I attached my object as the DataSource it threw an
    exception saying it had to implement one of 3 classes (don't remember their
    names). I was hoping to not have to do that.

    --
    thanks - dave
    david_at_windward_dot_net

    David Thielen, Jan 31, 2007
  4. Thanks for the reply Dave,

    Yes, I forgot to mention that most of the databoundcontrol based
    Controls(like GridView, DataList....) require the datasource to support the
    following interfaces(see the validation code picked from reflector)

    ========================
    protected override void ValidateDataSource(object dataSource)
    {
    if (((dataSource != null) && !(dataSource is IListSource)) &&
    (!(dataSource is IEnumerable) && !(dataSource is IDataSource)))
    {
    throw new
    InvalidOperationException(SR.GetString("DataBoundControl_InvalidDataSourceTy
    pe"));

    ===============================

    However, for your scenario, if you have a single object want to bind to a
    databound control, you can simply wrapper it in a object Array, e.g.

    MyData data = new MyData();

    MyData[] dataarray = new MyData[1];
    dataarray[0] = data;

    DataControl1.DataSource = dataarray;