Forums for Teachers Using Python - Where are they?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Samuel Walters, Jan 18, 2004.

  1. I'm currently considering a position teaching math and possibly
    programming at a small local magnet school. If I was also teaching
    programming, I would, of course, be using Python.

    So, I went out and googled around for resources. I found lots of articles
    about using Python to teach programming, but I have yet to turn up one
    forum where teachers using Python talk amongst themselves.

    Can anyone point me to such a resource, or, at least any "Must Read"
    articles that I might have missed?

    Also, does anyone have any experience using "Thinking Like A Computer
    Scientist" as a textbook? Does it fit well within a single semester? If
    not, how far were you able to make it into the book?

    Thanks for any advice.

    Sam Walters.

    P.S. An thought provoking general interest paper about computers in
    education is here:
    http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/stop.html

    It was written 21 years ago and still raises a relevant question.

    --
    Never forget the halloween documents.
    http://www.opensource.org/halloween/

    Samuel Walters, Jan 18, 2004

  2. Samuel Walters

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    Samuel Walters <> wrote:

    >I'm currently considering a position teaching math and possibly
    >programming at a small local magnet school. If I was also teaching
    >programming, I would, of course, be using Python.
    >
    >So, I went out and googled around for resources. I found lots of articles
    >about using Python to teach programming, but I have yet to turn up one
    >forum where teachers using Python talk amongst themselves.

    edu-sig
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    A: No.
    Q: Is top-posting okay?

    Aahz, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Official forum of this type is the Education Special Interest Group
    (sig), or edu-sig. You can find out more, subscribe and the like here:

    HTH,
    Mike

    Samuel Walters wrote:

    >I'm currently considering a position teaching math and possibly
    >programming at a small local magnet school. If I was also teaching
    >programming, I would, of course, be using Python.
    >
    >So, I went out and googled around for resources. I found lots of articles
    >about using Python to teach programming, but I have yet to turn up one
    >forum where teachers using Python talk amongst themselves.
    >
    >Can anyone point me to such a resource, or, at least any "Must Read"
    >articles that I might have missed?
    >
    >Also, does anyone have any experience using "Thinking Like A Computer
    >Scientist" as a textbook? Does it fit well within a single semester? If
    >not, how far were you able to make it into the book?
    >
    >Thanks for any advice.
    >
    >Sam Walters.
    >
    >P.S. An thought provoking general interest paper about computers in
    >education is here:
    >http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/stop.html
    >
    >It was written 21 years ago and still raises a relevant question.

    --
    Mike C. Fletcher

    Mike C. Fletcher, Jan 18, 2004
  4. | Mike C. Fletcher said |

    > Official forum of this type is the Education Special Interest Group
    > (sig), or edu-sig. You can find out more, subscribe and the like here:

    Thank you. Like your car-keys, stuff like that is always in the most
    obvious spot you didn't check.

    Sam Walters.

    Samuel Walters, Jan 18, 2004