Forums

Manu a.k.a. Vishesh

Hii all
i just wanna knw how can we create forums for our website using java
forums like here. threads are its synonyms

Manish Pandit

Hii all
i just wanna knw how can we create forums for our website using java
forums like here. threads are its synonyms

If you are looking for a message board/discussion board like software
in Java, you can look at JForum - http://www.jforum.net/. If you do
not care about the underlying technology, phpbb is extrenely common
(http://www.phpbb.com/), which is written in PHP.

-cheers,
Manish

Roedy Green

i just wanna knw how can we create forums for our website using java
forums like here. threads are its synonyms

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/forum.html

Please avoid the word "wanna". It grates on the "ears". It is a word
spoiled children use to demand unreasonable favours here in Canada. It
is usually whined. The police once brought a child molester to me to
see if I could talk him out of molesting his 10 year old son. No
matter what I said he would reply "but I wanna".

Manu a.k.a. Vishesh

To Mr. Roedy Green

seems u r too much obsessed with Canadians.. calm down I m not a
canadian..!
asnd if u insist, i will not use "wanna".. ;)
well thanks for info....!!
Keep Smiling..!
:)

Roedy Green

seems u r too much obsessed with Canadians.. calm down I m not a
canadian..!

I am merely allowing for the possibility my observation does not apply
elsewhere.

One of the amusing things I discovered early in life is the easiest
way to get someone screaming at the top of their lungs is to tell them
to calm down (even when they are already perfectly calm).

Lew

Roedy said:
I am merely allowing for the possibility my observation does not apply
elsewhere.

One of the amusing things I discovered early in life is the easiest
way to get someone screaming at the top of their lungs is to tell them
to calm down (even when they are already perfectly calm).

Perhaps Manu missed the "here in Canada" part of Roedy's post. Is a person
who lives in a country, being from that country, and concerned with their
local affairs or culture, "too much obsessed" with their homeland?

BTW. Manu, "u" should be spelled "you", "r" should be spelled "are", "I m"
should be spelled either "I'm" or "I am", "Canadian" should be capitalized,
either one period or one exclamation point suffices to end a sentence, and you
should reply to me on list, not privately.

Manu a.k.a. Vishesh

Well I guess that I had started this forum to know the ways to create
forums like this one in Java for my blog. But we have landed up in a
nationality dual. I just wanted to know a bit more about Java. That's
it.

Well, I suppose my grammar is correct now?

Andrew Thompson

Manu said:
Well I guess that I had started this forum to know the ways to create
forums like this one in Java for my blog.

'This one' is usenet. It is not some dinky little web forum.
It is *represented* on a variety of web interfaces to usenet,
but it is still usenet.
...But we have landed up in a
nationality dual.

This has *nothing* to do with 'nationalities'*.

The only reason Roedy mentioned Canada, is because
he talks about what he is used to, and does not presume
that the standards that apply where he is, are the same
where(ver) you are.
..I just wanted to know a bit more about Java. That's
it.

Well, I suppose my grammar is correct now?

You are now taking the effort to use correct grammar,
spelling an punctuation. Ironically, that makes your
first pathetic efforts *more* irritating.

We are prepared to make some allowances for people
who have a tough time understanding English. But if you
are fluent in English, yet cannot be bothered taking the
few more moments needed to make your message clear,
please don't waste our time or bandwidth.

Oh, and in case you have any doubts about the matter,
we will *not* want to hear about the launch of your new
forum. That would be considered off-topic spam by me,
and probably other contributors to this usenet newsgroup.

* I am just as irritated by your inane, juvenile language,
and I am from Australia. The other contributor to this
thread is from the United States.

And.. where the heck *are* you from? You might just as
likely have been a lazy teenager from America, Canada,
New Zealand or the United Kingdom, as far as I knew or
cared, from reading your initial post.

Manu a.k.a. Vishesh

[...]

ha ha ha...
I love you guys...!
Well, I am from India, by the way!
And my english is far better then most of the above mentioned
countries 'Mate'!
I 'know' this is usenet group. And I don't think there is any
'Protocol for Grammar on Internet', so I will write in any fashion I
like. I hoped to get some more insight on programming rather then
quarreling. Thanks you all for your sincere efforts.

Roedy Green

I 'know' this is usenet group. And I don't think there is any
'Protocol for Grammar on Internet',

I warned a person that the word "wanna" does not mean to everyone what
it means to him. He is free to continue if he wants to make a bad
impression with some people.

RedGrittyBrick

Manu said:
I 'know' this is usenet group. And I don't think there is any
'Protocol for Grammar on Internet',

Just for fun I put that phrase into Google, it responded with links to
RFC2813.
so I will write in any fashion I like.

Certainly you can.
I hoped to get some more insight on programming rather then
quarreling.

If you hope to get positive responses, you'll probably find it better to
write in some fashion that the regular experts like, rather than in some
way that you like but they hate.

Lew

Just for fun I put that phrase into Google, it responded with links to
RFC2813.

Completely irrelevant, of course, since it has nothing to do with English grammar.

Manu a.k.a. Vishesh:
Certainly you can.

Manu a.k.a. Vishesh:
Then perhaps one might consider dropping the petulant tone.
If you hope to get positive responses, you'll probably find it better to
write in some fashion that the regular experts like, rather than in some
way that you like but they hate.

In other words, instead of getting on your high horse about the good advice,
consider that it is offered to help you, and further, consider following it.

Y2A

Completely irrelevant, of course, since it has nothing to do with English grammar.

Manu a.k.a. Vishesh:

Manu a.k.a. Vishesh:

Then perhaps one might consider dropping the petulant tone.

In other words, instead of getting on your high horse about the good advice,
consider that it is offered to help you, and further, consider following it.

Can we get out of this?
I started this thread or forum or whatever you may call it, so I thank
everyone who has posted and I really want to quit this 'forum' post.
Thanks in all cases. :p

Lew

Y2A said:
Can we get out of this?
I started this thread or forum or whatever you may call it, so I thank
everyone who has posted and I really want to quit this 'forum' post.
Thanks in all cases. :p

It is easy to leave a thread in newsgroup, by dint of not responding to it.
It is nearly as easy to ignore others' responses in such a thread, by dint of
marking the thread "already read" and not reading the responses.

You can request that others do likewise, but being people of free will and
independent interests they may choose to continue in a particular discussion
anyway. Since this is an open forum, whose purpose is discussion, this is
desirable behavior. No one individual owns any discussion thread here.

This thread will die when no one cares about it any more.

Joshua Cranmer

Y2A said:
Can we get out of this?
I started this thread or forum or whatever you may call it, so I thank
everyone who has posted and I really want to quit this 'forum' post.
Thanks in all cases. :p

Welcome to Usenet, where many threads may go in directions not
originally desired by the authors. Go back in the archives and look at
"Java and avoiding software piracy" or "Java 7 Features", both 200+-post
threads devolved into flame wars and economic arguments. Those are
merely posts in c.l.j.p; forums with broader ranges of viewpoints can
digress further in threads (Threads on talk.origins can have five or six
conversations/arguments/flame wars going on in subthreads on completely
different topics).

If you want to "quit" a thread, most if not all competent newsreaders
will allow you to ignore the thread, so you don't see what goes on in
it. But a thread will eventually die of its own accord when nothing more
is left to be said (which is why flame wars can become so long).

u254882

All you guys, I _wanna_ tell you something, but let me start with a
question. Have you seen the film "In the name of the father"?
At one point, the main character, an Irishman, says something like he
would like to put his fist in his mouth preventing him speaking a word
of the praised English language.
Well, I have different reasons but the same obligation, I have to
speak English. It is forced on me, of course not directly by you, and
in a way it's my own choise. But momentarily your culture (whatever)
dominates the world, at least this part of the world I live in. And as
you see, if billions of people have to speak and learn a language
simply to be able eg. to get a job, they will have a natureal refuse/
resist feeling, they might take the
freedom not to have a guilty consicence making a mistake in it.
I speak 6 lamguages, including English. How many do you speak? And on
what level?
I am proud eg. of my (btw typical Eastern-European) accent, I believe
it has just as much right to exist and just as much validity as your
own. I am trying to get better in my English, in every way though, but
it is only because maybe I have too much time, you know. The main
function of it is that, when I meet people from different countries,
we all use English, and not because all want to be able to write poems
like Poe., that's today's Latin, and that's it.
And anyway, give it up, you got the guns, but we got the numbers.
And where you might feel wounded around your ears, we lose complete
languages - so please do not complain, everybody is happy if they get
help in mastering English but only if it is articulated in a friendly
and helpful tone, and not happy to be told to do this and that.

Lew

u254882 said:
All you guys, I _wanna_ tell you something, ... ....
- so please do not complain, everybody is happy if they get
help in mastering English but only if it is articulated in a friendly
and helpful tone, and not happy to be told to do this and that.

When people put forward advice in this particular venue, they don't
necessarily speak in a bad tone just because they stick with bald facts.
Perhaps not everyone is equally comfortable with a keyboard, or they
themselves are not as familiar with English as you seem to think. Regardless
of the reason, it is common for advice here to be terse, and to focus very
narrowly on the action under discussion. If in doing this they fail to coddle
your sensitivities, that is unfortunate but not truly cause for you to complain.

The purpose of this forum is not to kow-tow to you, but to discuss technical
information of common interest. Occasionally that extends to grammar and how
to best present oneself professionally through one's communications.

If you are not happy to receive advice here where mostly people come to ask
for advice, perhaps you are in the wrong venue.

Do not take mere terseness of expression as an insult. Consider instead if
the comment's /content/ merits consideration, and impute whatever tone makes
you happiest, instead of the one that makes you angriest.

Roedy Green

I can't find the post where Andrew talked about his new XSD validator.

I tried it out and it died immediately with a null pointer exception.

I pasted in my JNLP text and selected JNLP.

Some thoughts on how to make it easier to use:

1. make the link to start the program be a button and say "LAUNCH" or
something similar. The launch link is disguised as a simple text link.
The well formedness checker has a similar problem.

2. put a watermark over the sample screenshot. It looks too much like
the app itself already running.

3. If you need to provide your own JNLP XSD, instructions need to
guide you on the screen.

Whatever is causing this exception needs a better error message.

Error: null
java.lang.NullPointerException
at
org.physci.xml.tool.validate.XMLValidator.parse(XMLValidator.java:324)
at
org.physci.xml.tool.validate.XMLValidator.validateContent(XMLValidator.java:363)
at
org.physci.xml.tool.validate.XMLValidator$ValidateWorker.doInBackground(XMLValidator.java:477)
at
org.physci.xml.tool.validate.XMLValidator$ValidateWorker.doInBackground(XMLValidator.java:471)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown
Source)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)
at
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown
Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I'm glad Andrew has tackled this problem. I had it about #4 on my to
do list.

Roedy Green

All you guys, I _wanna_ tell you something, but let me start with a
question.

You have every right to use non-standard English, in particular
"wanna", but that choice has consequences. Since there is no
advantage in doing so, and a number of negative consequences, it seems
logical to presume when someone does that they are unaware of the
consequences. When someone warns them, that is an act of compassion,
not an act of coercion.

When someone persists in using the offending word, emphasising it as
you did, the presumption is the intent was to deliberately annoy
others. The natural reaction to that is to avoid someone who enjoys
doing that. Most life naturally avoids pain. The consequence to the
taunter then is having his questions ignored.

Deliberately using a word like "wanna" is cutting off your nose to
spite your face.

It does not make sense to deliberately annoy people you are a asking
favours of.