  1. Hii all
    i just wanna knw how can we create forums for our website using java
    forums like here. threads are its synonyms

    Manu a.k.a. Vishesh, Sep 16, 2007

  2. On Sep 16, 12:37 am, "Manu a.k.a. Vishesh" <>
    wrote:
    > Hii all
    > i just wanna knw how can we create forums for our website using java
    > forums like here. threads are its synonyms

    If you are looking for a message board/discussion board like software
    in Java, you can look at JForum - http://www.jforum.net/. If you do
    not care about the underlying technology, phpbb is extrenely common
    (http://www.phpbb.com/), which is written in PHP.

    -cheers,
    Manish

    Manish Pandit, Sep 16, 2007

  3. Manu a.k.a. Vishesh

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 00:37:32 -0700, "Manu a.k.a. Vishesh"
    who said :

    >i just wanna knw how can we create forums for our website using java
    >forums like here. threads are its synonyms

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/forum.html

    Please avoid the word "wanna". It grates on the "ears". It is a word
    spoiled children use to demand unreasonable favours here in Canada. It
    is usually whined. The police once brought a child molester to me to
    see if I could talk him out of molesting his 10 year old son. No
    matter what I said he would reply "but I wanna".

    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary

    Roedy Green, Sep 17, 2007
  4. To Mr. Roedy Green

    seems u r too much obsessed with Canadians.. calm down I m not a
    canadian..!
    asnd if u insist, i will not use "wanna".. ;)
    well thanks for info....!!
    Keep Smiling..!
    :)

    Manu a.k.a. Vishesh, Sep 19, 2007
  5. Manu a.k.a. Vishesh

    Lew Guest

    Manu a.k.a. Vishesh wrote:

    > To Mr. Roedy Green
    >
    > seems u r too much obsessed with Canadians.. calm down I m not a
    > canadian..!

    Rrrr?

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Sep 19, 2007
  6. Manu a.k.a. Vishesh

    Roedy Green Guest

    >seems u r too much obsessed with Canadians.. calm down I m not a
    >canadian..!

    I am merely allowing for the possibility my observation does not apply
    elsewhere.

    One of the amusing things I discovered early in life is the easiest
    way to get someone screaming at the top of their lungs is to tell them
    to calm down (even when they are already perfectly calm).

    Roedy Green, Sep 20, 2007
  7. Manu a.k.a. Vishesh

    Lew Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    >> seems u r too much obsessed with Canadians.. calm down I m not a
    >> canadian..!

    > I am merely allowing for the possibility my observation does not apply
    > elsewhere.
    >
    > One of the amusing things I discovered early in life is the easiest
    > way to get someone screaming at the top of their lungs is to tell them
    > to calm down (even when they are already perfectly calm).

    Perhaps Manu missed the "here in Canada" part of Roedy's post. Is a person
    who lives in a country, being from that country, and concerned with their
    local affairs or culture, "too much obsessed" with their homeland?

    BTW. Manu, "u" should be spelled "you", "r" should be spelled "are", "I m"
    should be spelled either "I'm" or "I am", "Canadian" should be capitalized,
    either one period or one exclamation point suffices to end a sentence, and you
    should reply to me on list, not privately.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Sep 20, 2007
  8. Well I guess that I had started this forum to know the ways to create
    forums like this one in Java for my blog. But we have landed up in a
    nationality dual. I just wanted to know a bit more about Java. That's
    it.

    Well, I suppose my grammar is correct now?

    Manu a.k.a. Vishesh, Sep 28, 2007
  9. Manu a.k.a. Vishesh wrote:
    >Well I guess that I had started this forum to know the ways to create
    >forums like this one in Java for my blog.

    'This one' is usenet. It is not some dinky little web forum.
    It is *represented* on a variety of web interfaces to usenet,
    but it is still usenet.

    >...But we have landed up in a
    >nationality dual.

    This has *nothing* to do with 'nationalities'*.

    The only reason Roedy mentioned Canada, is because
    he talks about what he is used to, and does not presume
    that the standards that apply where he is, are the same
    where(ver) you are.

    >..I just wanted to know a bit more about Java. That's
    >it.
    >
    >Well, I suppose my grammar is correct now?

    You are now taking the effort to use correct grammar,
    spelling an punctuation. Ironically, that makes your
    first pathetic efforts *more* irritating.

    We are prepared to make some allowances for people
    who have a tough time understanding English. But if you
    are fluent in English, yet cannot be bothered taking the
    few more moments needed to make your message clear,
    please don't waste our time or bandwidth.

    Oh, and in case you have any doubts about the matter,
    we will *not* want to hear about the launch of your new
    forum. That would be considered off-topic spam by me,
    and probably other contributors to this usenet newsgroup.

    * I am just as irritated by your inane, juvenile language,
    and I am from Australia. The other contributor to this
    thread is from the United States.

    And.. where the heck *are* you from? You might just as
    likely have been a lazy teenager from America, Canada,
    New Zealand or the United Kingdom, as far as I knew or
    cared, from reading your initial post.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

    Andrew Thompson, Sep 28, 2007
  10. On Sep 28, 11:48 pm, "Andrew Thompson" <u32984@uwe> wrote:
    > Manu a.k.a. Vishesh wrote:
    > >Well I guess that I had started this forum to know the ways to create
    > >forums like this one in Java for my blog.

    > 'This one' is usenet. It is not some dinky little web forum.
    > It is *represented* on a variety of web interfaces to usenet,
    > but it is still usenet.
    >
    > >...But we have landed up in a
    > >nationality dual.

    > This has *nothing* to do with 'nationalities'*.
    >
    > The only reason Roedy mentioned Canada, is because
    > he talks about what he is used to, and does not presume
    > that the standards that apply where he is, are the same
    > where(ver) you are.
    >
    > >..I just wanted to know a bit more about Java. That's
    > >it.

    > >Well, I suppose my grammar is correct now?

    > You are now taking the effort to use correct grammar,
    > spelling an punctuation. Ironically, that makes your
    > first pathetic efforts *more* irritating.
    >
    > We are prepared to make some allowances for people
    > who have a tough time understanding English. But if you
    > are fluent in English, yet cannot be bothered taking the
    > few more moments needed to make your message clear,
    > please don't waste our time or bandwidth.
    >
    > Oh, and in case you have any doubts about the matter,
    > we will *not* want to hear about the launch of your new
    > forum. That would be considered off-topic spam by me,
    > and probably other contributors to this usenet newsgroup.
    >
    > * I am just as irritated by your inane, juvenile language,
    > and I am from Australia. The other contributor to this
    > thread is from the United States.
    >
    > And.. where the heck *are* you from? You might just as
    > likely have been a lazy teenager from America, Canada,
    > New Zealand or the United Kingdom, as far as I knew or
    > cared, from reading your initial post.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Thompsonhttp://www.athompson.info/andrew/

    ha ha ha...
    I love you guys...!
    Well, I am from India, by the way!
    And my english is far better then most of the above mentioned
    countries 'Mate'!
    I 'know' this is usenet group. And I don't think there is any
    'Protocol for Grammar on Internet', so I will write in any fashion I
    like. I hoped to get some more insight on programming rather then
    quarreling. Thanks you all for your sincere efforts.

    Manu a.k.a. Vishesh, Sep 30, 2007
  11. Manu a.k.a. Vishesh

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 04:08:27 -0000, "Manu a.k.a. Vishesh"
    who said :

    >I 'know' this is usenet group. And I don't think there is any
    >'Protocol for Grammar on Internet',

    I warned a person that the word "wanna" does not mean to everyone what
    it means to him. He is free to continue if he wants to make a bad
    impression with some people.

    Roedy Green, Sep 30, 2007
  12. Manu a.k.a. Vishesh wrote:
    > I 'know' this is usenet group. And I don't think there is any
    > 'Protocol for Grammar on Internet',

    Just for fun I put that phrase into Google, it responded with links to
    RFC2813.

    > so I will write in any fashion I like.

    Certainly you can.

    > I hoped to get some more insight on programming rather then
    > quarreling.

    If you hope to get positive responses, you'll probably find it better to
    write in some fashion that the regular experts like, rather than in some
    way that you like but they hate.

    RedGrittyBrick, Sep 30, 2007
  13. Manu a.k.a. Vishesh

    Lew Guest

    RedGrittyBrick wrote:
    > Just for fun I put that phrase into Google, it responded with links to
    > RFC2813.

    Completely irrelevant, of course, since it has nothing to do with English grammar.

    Manu a.k.a. Vishesh:

    RedGrittyBrick wrote:
    > Certainly you can.

    Manu a.k.a. Vishesh:
    >> I hoped to get some more insight on programming rather then
    >> quarreling.

    Then perhaps one might consider dropping the petulant tone.

    RedGrittyBrick wrote:
    > If you hope to get positive responses, you'll probably find it better to
    > write in some fashion that the regular experts like, rather than in some
    > way that you like but they hate.

    In other words, instead of getting on your high horse about the good advice,
    consider that it is offered to help you, and further, consider following it.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Sep 30, 2007
  14. Manu a.k.a. Vishesh

    Y2A Guest

    On Sep 30, 9:09 pm, Lew <> wrote:
    > Manu a.k.a. Vishesh wrote:
    > >> I 'know' this is usenet group. And I don't think there is any
    > >> 'Protocol for Grammar on Internet',

    > RedGrittyBrick wrote:
    > > Just for fun I put that phrase into Google, it responded with links to
    > > RFC2813.

    > Completely irrelevant, of course, since it has nothing to do with English grammar.
    >
    > Manu a.k.a. Vishesh:
    >
    > >> so I will write in any fashion I like.

    > RedGrittyBrick wrote:
    > > Certainly you can.

    > Manu a.k.a. Vishesh:
    >
    > >> I hoped to get some more insight on programming rather then
    > >> quarreling.

    > Then perhaps one might consider dropping the petulant tone.
    >
    > RedGrittyBrick wrote:
    > > If you hope to get positive responses, you'll probably find it better to
    > > write in some fashion that the regular experts like, rather than in some
    > > way that you like but they hate.

    > In other words, instead of getting on your high horse about the good advice,
    > consider that it is offered to help you, and further, consider following it.
    >
    > --
    > Lew

    Can we get out of this?
    I started this thread or forum or whatever you may call it, so I thank
    everyone who has posted and I really want to quit this 'forum' post.
    Thanks in all cases. :p

    Y2A, Sep 30, 2007
  15. Manu a.k.a. Vishesh

    Lew Guest

    Y2A wrote:
    > Can we get out of this?
    > I started this thread or forum or whatever you may call it, so I thank
    > everyone who has posted and I really want to quit this 'forum' post.
    > Thanks in all cases. :p

    It is easy to leave a thread in newsgroup, by dint of not responding to it.
    It is nearly as easy to ignore others' responses in such a thread, by dint of
    marking the thread "already read" and not reading the responses.

    You can request that others do likewise, but being people of free will and
    independent interests they may choose to continue in a particular discussion
    anyway. Since this is an open forum, whose purpose is discussion, this is
    desirable behavior. No one individual owns any discussion thread here.

    This thread will die when no one cares about it any more.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Sep 30, 2007
  16. Y2A wrote:
    > Can we get out of this?
    > I started this thread or forum or whatever you may call it, so I thank
    > everyone who has posted and I really want to quit this 'forum' post.
    > Thanks in all cases. :p

    Welcome to Usenet, where many threads may go in directions not
    originally desired by the authors. Go back in the archives and look at
    "Java and avoiding software piracy" or "Java 7 Features", both 200+-post
    threads devolved into flame wars and economic arguments. Those are
    merely posts in c.l.j.p; forums with broader ranges of viewpoints can
    digress further in threads (Threads on talk.origins can have five or six
    conversations/arguments/flame wars going on in subthreads on completely
    different topics).

    If you want to "quit" a thread, most if not all competent newsreaders
    will allow you to ignore the thread, so you don't see what goes on in
    it. But a thread will eventually die of its own accord when nothing more
    is left to be said (which is why flame wars can become so long).

    tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

    Joshua Cranmer, Sep 30, 2007
  17. Manu a.k.a. Vishesh

    u254882 Guest

    All you guys, I _wanna_ tell you something, but let me start with a
    question. Have you seen the film "In the name of the father"?
    At one point, the main character, an Irishman, says something like he
    would like to put his fist in his mouth preventing him speaking a word
    of the praised English language.
    Well, I have different reasons but the same obligation, I have to
    speak English. It is forced on me, of course not directly by you, and
    in a way it's my own choise. But momentarily your culture (whatever)
    dominates the world, at least this part of the world I live in. And as
    you see, if billions of people have to speak and learn a language
    simply to be able eg. to get a job, they will have a natureal refuse/
    resist feeling, they might take the
    freedom not to have a guilty consicence making a mistake in it.
    I speak 6 lamguages, including English. How many do you speak? And on
    what level?
    I am proud eg. of my (btw typical Eastern-European) accent, I believe
    it has just as much right to exist and just as much validity as your
    own. I am trying to get better in my English, in every way though, but
    it is only because maybe I have too much time, you know. The main
    function of it is that, when I meet people from different countries,
    we all use English, and not because all want to be able to write poems
    like Poe., that's today's Latin, and that's it.
    And anyway, give it up, you got the guns, but we got the numbers.
    And where you might feel wounded around your ears, we lose complete
    languages - so please do not complain, everybody is happy if they get
    help in mastering English but only if it is articulated in a friendly
    and helpful tone, and not happy to be told to do this and that.

    u254882, Sep 30, 2007
  18. Manu a.k.a. Vishesh

    Lew Guest

    u254882 wrote:
    > All you guys, I _wanna_ tell you something, ...

    > - so please do not complain, everybody is happy if they get
    > help in mastering English but only if it is articulated in a friendly
    > and helpful tone, and not happy to be told to do this and that.

    When people put forward advice in this particular venue, they don't
    necessarily speak in a bad tone just because they stick with bald facts.
    Perhaps not everyone is equally comfortable with a keyboard, or they
    themselves are not as familiar with English as you seem to think. Regardless
    of the reason, it is common for advice here to be terse, and to focus very
    narrowly on the action under discussion. If in doing this they fail to coddle
    your sensitivities, that is unfortunate but not truly cause for you to complain.

    The purpose of this forum is not to kow-tow to you, but to discuss technical
    information of common interest. Occasionally that extends to grammar and how
    to best present oneself professionally through one's communications.

    If you are not happy to receive advice here where mostly people come to ask
    for advice, perhaps you are in the wrong venue.

    Do not take mere terseness of expression as an insult. Consider instead if
    the comment's /content/ merits consideration, and impute whatever tone makes
    you happiest, instead of the one that makes you angriest.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Oct 1, 2007
  19. Manu a.k.a. Vishesh

    Roedy Green Guest

    http://www.physci.org/xml/xmltools.html#yaxv

    I can't find the post where Andrew talked about his new XSD validator.

    I tried it out and it died immediately with a null pointer exception.

    I pasted in my JNLP text and selected JNLP.

    Some thoughts on how to make it easier to use:

    1. make the link to start the program be a button and say "LAUNCH" or
    something similar. The launch link is disguised as a simple text link.
    The well formedness checker has a similar problem.

    2. put a watermark over the sample screenshot. It looks too much like
    the app itself already running.

    3. If you need to provide your own JNLP XSD, instructions need to
    guide you on the screen.

    Whatever is causing this exception needs a better error message.

    Error: null
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at
    org.physci.xml.tool.validate.XMLValidator.parse(XMLValidator.java:324)
    at
    org.physci.xml.tool.validate.XMLValidator.validateContent(XMLValidator.java:363)
    at
    org.physci.xml.tool.validate.XMLValidator$ValidateWorker.doInBackground(XMLValidator.java:477)
    at
    org.physci.xml.tool.validate.XMLValidator$ValidateWorker.doInBackground(XMLValidator.java:471)
    at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown
    Source)
    at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)
    at
    java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown
    Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    I'm glad Andrew has tackled this problem. I had it about #4 on my to
    do list.

    Roedy Green, Oct 1, 2007
  20. Manu a.k.a. Vishesh

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 22:50:33 -0000, u254882 <> wrote,

    >All you guys, I _wanna_ tell you something, but let me start with a
    >question.

    You have every right to use non-standard English, in particular
    "wanna", but that choice has consequences. Since there is no
    advantage in doing so, and a number of negative consequences, it seems
    logical to presume when someone does that they are unaware of the
    consequences. When someone warns them, that is an act of compassion,
    not an act of coercion.

    When someone persists in using the offending word, emphasising it as
    you did, the presumption is the intent was to deliberately annoy
    others. The natural reaction to that is to avoid someone who enjoys
    doing that. Most life naturally avoids pain. The consequence to the
    taunter then is having his questions ignored.

    Deliberately using a word like "wanna" is cutting off your nose to
    spite your face.

    It does not make sense to deliberately annoy people you are a asking
    favours of.

    Roedy Green, Oct 1, 2007