forward the request to a window with specific parameters (please help)

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by jrefactors@hotmail.com, Dec 23, 2004.

  1. Guest

    page0.asp->page1.jsp

    When the user click submit button in page0.asp, it will post the form
    request to page1.jsp.
    page0.asp and page1.jsp are in separate machines. In page1.jsp, based
    on the parameter
    interfaceName, it will forward to different jsp pages. However, we want
    to forward the request
    to a window with parameter like the following, without the menu bar and
    toolbar.

    The question is how to forward the request to a window like that?

    window.open("test2.jsp",null,

    "height=500,width=500,status=yes,toolbar=no,menubar=no,location=no");

    //page1.jsp
    <%
    String interfaceName = request.getParameter("interfaceName");
    if (interfaceName != null)
    { if (interfaceName.equalsIgnoreCase("id1"))
    url="/id1.jsp";
    else if (interfaceName.equalsIgnoreCase("id2"))
    url="/id2.jsp";
    else if (interfaceName.equalsIgnoreCase("id3"))
    url="/id3.jsp";
    //etc...

    request.getRequestDispatcher(url).forward(request,response);
    }
    %>

    Please help and advise. thanks!!
    , Dec 23, 2004

    Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > Controlled intranet, or on the wilds of the internet?

    This is intranet web application. And this is exactly what customer
    what.

    please advise. thanks!!
    , Dec 23, 2004

  3. Ivo Guest

    <> wrote
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > > However, we want
    > > > to forward the request
    > > > to a window with parameter like the following, without the menu
    > > > bar and toolbar.

    > > Controlled intranet, or on the wilds of the internet?

    I don't know your parameters, but the principle of pop-ups is this:

    window.open('someurl.html','windowname','features');

    See:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/open_0.asp
    http://www.mozilla.org/docs/dom/domref/dom_window_ref76.html

    A thought: making a window not resizable is silly. People who have no desire
    to resize the window will never notice anything either way, while those that
    do want to change the size and find it impossible to do, will rightly wonder
    why.

    > This is intranet web application. And this is exactly what customer
    > what.

    Nevertheless, if your customer is not a web expert (their request for a
    pop-up proves this), you should inform them of the downsides of popups. This
    may be a controlled environment, where you may have carefully disabled all
    pop-up blocking software, but still the majority of users (your customer's
    employees) *hate* pop-ups, just because they pop up. This may not be
    rational, but it is a fact. No amount of programming can alter that. And
    right they are: pop-ups break the natural flow of webpages, mess up their
    preference settings, etc. With modern browsers capable of DHTML and XML HTTP
    requests, there is nothing that cannot be done without pop-ups.

    The same in other words: it is your responsibility to talk to your customer
    and stop them wanting pop-ups at all. As long as they see some good in
    pop-ups, you have not done your work properly.
    --
    Ivo
    Ivo, Dec 23, 2004