"Found Perl"

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by brian d foy, Jan 18, 2005.

  1. brian d foy

    brian d foy Guest

    I'm creating "Found Perl"[0], a little, virtual Perl memorabilia museum.
    I've got a lot of stuff to include, and I bet the community has orders
    of magnitude more.

    I've been looking at Found Magazine[1] since I heard about it on
    This American Life[2]. They publish pictures things that people find
    lying about: mostly flat things like scraps of paper. I'd like to do
    that for Perl.

    For instance, I have on display:

    * Pictures of a couple of versions of the Perl Monger t-shirt
    * The temporary camel tattoo I was giving out at one of the Perl
    conferences
    * My original receipt for my first copy of Programming perl
    * Mark Jason's card announcing "Perl Advanced Techniques Handbook"
    (now "Higher Order Perl")
    * and some other things

    There is a lot of stuff I'd like to find, and even more stuff I probably
    don't know about. If you have something, please send me an image or scan
    at [3].

    * a picture of Amelia, the camel mascot of London.pm
    * Nat's "Perl is my bitch" sticker set (What were the other slogans?
    * An original blow-in card for The Perl Journal
    * Pictures of other Perl t-shirts, especially the one given out at
    the first couple of Perl conferences
    * The O'Reilly beret given out at one of the Perl conferences
    * Scans of signatures from various Perl people (I don't have
    any myself)
    * Tim Bunce's handwriting on a bar napkin saying "Generic database
    interface: use GDI or something" :)
    * Images of swag (keychains, water bottles, pens) that Perl
    vendors gave out.
    * Instances of the string "Perl" in everyday life. I remember seeing
    an image of a European road sign pointing to "Perl". I think it
    was German, but I can't find it.
    * and lots of other stuff that might be out there.

    Thanks, and enjoy (and contribute!)

    [0] http://www.theperlreview.com/Found/
    [1] http://www.foundmagazine.com/
    [2] http://www.thislife.org
    [3] mailto:

    --
    brian d foy,
    Subscribe to The Perl Review: http://www.theperlreview.com

    brian d foy, Jan 18, 2005

  2. In article <170120052110468477%>,
    brian d foy <> wrote:

    > * Images of swag (keychains, water bottles, pens) that Perl
    > vendors gave out.

    I _think_ I've still got my Stonehenge branded mini swiss army knife
    around somewhere... If I find it I'll send you a photo...

    > * and lots of other stuff that might be out there.

    How about the Perl fridge magnets? And one of those Perl Certifications
    that you were handing out many years ago at The Perl Conference? A big
    version of the map showing where Perl Mongers groups are?

    big (I wonder if anyone saved any fragments of Jon Orwants coffee cup?)
    --
    "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.
    That's the only way to be sure." - Ellen Ripley

    Iain Chalmers, Jan 18, 2005

  3. brian d foy

    brian d foy Guest

    In article <>, Iain
    Chalmers <> wrote:

    > How about the Perl fridge magnets?

    Yeah, the Magnetic Poetry is somewhere on the list of things I
    covet.

    > And one of those Perl Certifications
    > that you were handing out many years ago at The Perl Conference?

    I'd like some of those too, but that was Nat printing those :)

    > A big
    > version of the map showing where Perl Mongers groups are?

    I've got to get that from Leon. :)

    brian d foy, Jan 18, 2005
  4. brian d foy wrote :

    > There is a lot of stuff I'd like to find, and even more stuff I probably
    > don't know about. If you have something, please send me an image or scan
    > at [3].
    >
    > * a picture of Amelia, the camel mascot of London.pm
    > * Nat's "Perl is my bitch" sticker set (What were the other slogans?
    > * An original blow-in card for The Perl Journal
    > * Pictures of other Perl t-shirts, especially the one given out at
    > the first couple of Perl conferences
    > * The O'Reilly beret given out at one of the Perl conferences
    > * Scans of signatures from various Perl people (I don't have
    > any myself)
    > * Tim Bunce's handwriting on a bar napkin saying "Generic database
    > interface: use GDI or something" :)
    > * Images of swag (keychains, water bottles, pens) that Perl
    > vendors gave out.
    > * Instances of the string "Perl" in everyday life. I remember seeing
    > an image of a European road sign pointing to "Perl". I think it
    > was German, but I can't find it.

    Maybe you would be interested in a map with Perl on it.

    http://www.perl-mosel.de/rathaus/bilder/karte.gif
    and
    http://www.stadtplan.net/index.asp?direct=brd/saarland/perl/home.html

    Or the coat of arms of Perl.

    http://www.perl-mosel.de/bilder/perl_index2.jpg

    HTH

    --
    Epur Si Muove (Gallileo Gallilei)

    Martin Kissner, Jan 18, 2005
  5. brian d foy

    Peter Wyzl Guest

    "Martin Kissner" <> wrote in message
    :
    : Maybe you would be interested in a map with Perl on it.
    :
    : http://www.perl-mosel.de/rathaus/bilder/karte.gif

    Is there some significance to the fact that perl is right next to Apach?

    :)

    print "Just another Perl Hacker";

    Peter Wyzl, Jan 18, 2005
  6. Alan J. Flavell, Jan 18, 2005
  7. In article <170120052110468477%>,
    brian d foy <> wrote:
    >I'm creating "Found Perl"[0], a little, virtual Perl memorabilia museum.
    >I've got a lot of stuff to include, and I bet the community has orders
    >of magnitude more.

    Is there a shot of Adam Back's RSA In Four Lines of Perl around?
    Particularly of the mailing label version Duncan Frissell designed?
    There was a photograph of it in the NYT in April of 1995 when
    the NYT covered a convention on cryptographic technology.

    --
    -john

    February 28 1997: Last day libraries could order catalogue cards
    from the Library of Congress.

    John M. Gamble, Jan 18, 2005
  8. On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:10:46 -0600, brian d foy <>
    wrote:

    > * The temporary camel tattoo I was giving out at one of the Perl
    > conferences

    What about Perlguy's (IIRC the guy's "name") non-temporary one?

    Michele

    Michele Dondi, Jan 18, 2005