Foxpro goto command and deleted records

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ethan Furman, Jul 17, 2012.

  1. Ethan Furman

    Ethan Furman Guest

    In Foxpro if you do a

    GOTO 7

    with deleted off and record 7 is deleted, the record pointer doesn't
    move (at least in version 6).

    I don't like that.

    I see four other options:

    0) don't move the pointer (listed for completeness)
    1) go to that record anyway
    2) go to the next undeleted record
    3) go to the seventh undeleted record (possibly the least practical)
    4) raise an exception

    Any opinions?

    ~Ethan~
    Ethan Furman, Jul 17, 2012

  2. On 2012-07-17, Ethan Furman <> wrote:

    > In Foxpro if you do a

    Foxpro?

    --
    Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I am NOT a nut....
    at
    Grant Edwards, Jul 18, 2012

  3. Ethan Furman

    Ian Kelly Guest

    Ian Kelly, Jul 18, 2012
  4. On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 14:40:58 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards
    <> declaimed the following in
    gmane.comp.python.general:

    > On 2012-07-17, Ethan Furman <> wrote:
    >
    > > In Foxpro if you do a

    > Foxpro?

    One of the many database application development environments that
    branched off the original simple DBase file format. Last seen as "Visual
    FoxPro" from M$ (and even M$ is trying to kill it off <G>). I've only
    user-level experience with two VFP applications, not with the coding
    (Ultimate Family Tree -- killed off when the owning company also
    obtained bottom ranked Family Tree Maker and apparently concluded that
    making annual cosmetic changes to FTM and charging $30 to upgrade was
    better than upgrading top-ranked UFT for 32-bit Windows; the second
    application is The Master Genealogist, which had been in competition
    with UFT for top slot)

    The Dabo effort, as I recall, started life as an attempt to create a
    VFP type development environment in Python (but not tied to a single
    database backend).
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/