Foxpro goto command and deleted records

Ethan Furman

In Foxpro if you do a

GOTO 7

with deleted off and record 7 is deleted, the record pointer doesn't
move (at least in version 6).

I don't like that.

I see four other options:

0) don't move the pointer (listed for completeness)
1) go to that record anyway
2) go to the next undeleted record
3) go to the seventh undeleted record (possibly the least practical)
4) raise an exception

Any opinions?

~Ethan~

Dennis Lee Bieber

One of the many database application development environments that
branched off the original simple DBase file format. Last seen as "Visual
FoxPro" from M$ (and even M$ is trying to kill it off <G>). I've only
user-level experience with two VFP applications, not with the coding
(Ultimate Family Tree -- killed off when the owning company also
obtained bottom ranked Family Tree Maker and apparently concluded that
making annual cosmetic changes to FTM and charging $30 to upgrade was
better than upgrading top-ranked UFT for 32-bit Windows; the second
application is The Master Genealogist, which had been in competition
with UFT for top slot)

The Dabo effort, as I recall, started life as an attempt to create a
VFP type development environment in Python (but not tied to a single
database backend).