    extensive internal networking.

    http://www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=56713

    Website: https://sites.google.com/site/fpgacpldgroup/

    cpld-fpga-asic, Jun 28, 2009

  2. cpld-fpga-asic

    Guest

    On Jun 28, 5:09 pm, cpld-fpga-asic <> wrote:
    > Group for People Involved In the Design and Verification of FPGA's,
    > other Programmable Logic , and CPLD's to Exchange Idea's and
    > Techniques. You should have FPGA / CPLD Design / Verification on your
    > Profile. (The focus is more on FPGA/CPLD in the product as opposed to
    > FPGA's solely as a path to an ASIC) VHDL / Verilog / ABLE / SystemC
    > and other HDL's as well. Vendors included: Xilinx, Altera, Actel,
    > Lattice, Atmel, QuickLogic, Tabula, Silicon Blue, Mentor, Cadence,
    > Synopsys, Aldec, NI, Altium, and Many Others.
    >
    > Networking on LinkedIn can be a way to get technical questions
    > answered. It can also be a way to meet contacts with expertise in
    > other domains of knowledge other than your own. Additionally, many
    > career enhancing contacts, and mentors can potentially found
    > especially if one is at a smaller company that lacks the resources for
    > extensive internal networking.
    >
    > http://www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=56713
    >
    > Website:https://sites.google.com/site/fpgacpldgroup/

    could you describe the last technical FPGA related question
    that your linkedin networking group solved?

    unless you are able todo that, i see you repeated postings
    to c.a.f. as complete spam

    Antti

    , Jun 28, 2009

  3. cpld-fpga-asic

    rickman Guest

    On Jun 28, 10:52 am, ""
    <> wrote:
    > On Jun 28, 5:09 pm, cpld-fpga-asic <> wrote:
    >

    > > Group for People Involved In the Design and Verification of FPGA's,
    > > other Programmable Logic , and CPLD's to Exchange Idea's and
    > > Techniques. You should have FPGA / CPLD Design / Verification on your
    > > Profile. (The focus is more on FPGA/CPLD in the product as opposed to
    > > FPGA's solely as a path to an ASIC) VHDL / Verilog / ABLE / SystemC
    > > and other HDL's as well. Vendors included: Xilinx, Altera, Actel,
    > > Lattice, Atmel, QuickLogic, Tabula, Silicon Blue, Mentor, Cadence,
    > > Synopsys, Aldec, NI, Altium, and Many Others.

    > > Networking on LinkedIn can be a way to get technical questions
    > > answered. It can also be a way to meet contacts with expertise in
    > > other domains of knowledge other than your own. Additionally, many
    > > career enhancing contacts, and mentors can potentially found
    > > especially if one is at a smaller company that lacks the resources for
    > > extensive internal networking.

    > >http://www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=56713

    > > Website:https://sites.google.com/site/fpgacpldgroup/

    > could you describe the last technical FPGA related question
    > that your linkedin networking group solved?
    >
    > unless you are able todo that, i see you repeated postings
    > to c.a.f. as complete spam
    >
    > Antti

    Hi, I am one of the moderators at this group and I must be honest
    about it. It is not a very technically oriented group. I have tried
    to make some technically oriented posts there with few responses.
    This did not seem to stimulate much in the way of subsequent new
    topics either. I have also made an effort to separate the technical
    content from the recruiting content and gotten feedback that the
    recruiters are the ones paying the way for LinkedIn and cutting them
    out would be a mistake.

    So I have given up on this group as well as other FPGA related groups
    at LinkedIn. I have not removed myself from membership, but I can't
    say I recommend them unless you wish to use it for employment or self
    promotion.

    Rick

    rickman, Jun 29, 2009
  4. cpld-fpga-asic

    steve Guest

    On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:08:16 +0800, rickman wrote
    (in article
    <>):

    > On Jun 28, 10:52 am, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >> On Jun 28, 5:09 pm, cpld-fpga-asic <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Group for People Involved In the Design and Verification of FPGA's,
    >>> other Programmable Logic , and CPLD's to Exchange Idea's and
    >>> Techniques. You should have FPGA / CPLD Design / Verification on your
    >>> Profile. (The focus is more on FPGA/CPLD in the product as opposed to
    >>> FPGA's solely as a path to an ASIC) VHDL / Verilog / ABLE / SystemC
    >>> and other HDL's as well. Vendors included: Xilinx, Altera, Actel,
    >>> Lattice, Atmel, QuickLogic, Tabula, Silicon Blue, Mentor, Cadence,
    >>> Synopsys, Aldec, NI, Altium, and Many Others.

    >>> Networking on LinkedIn can be a way to get technical questions
    >>> answered. It can also be a way to meet contacts with expertise in
    >>> other domains of knowledge other than your own. Additionally, many
    >>> career enhancing contacts, and mentors can potentially found
    >>> especially if one is at a smaller company that lacks the resources for
    >>> extensive internal networking.

    >>> http://www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=56713

    >>> Website:https://sites.google.com/site/fpgacpldgroup/

    >> could you describe the last technical FPGA related question
    >> that your linkedin networking group solved?
    >>
    >> unless you are able todo that, i see you repeated postings
    >> to c.a.f. as complete spam
    >>
    >> Antti

    > Hi, I am one of the moderators at this group and I must be honest
    > about it. It is not a very technically oriented group. I have tried
    > to make some technically oriented posts there with few responses.
    > This did not seem to stimulate much in the way of subsequent new
    > topics either. I have also made an effort to separate the technical
    > content from the recruiting content and gotten feedback that the
    > recruiters are the ones paying the way for LinkedIn and cutting them
    > out would be a mistake.
    >
    > So I have given up on this group as well as other FPGA related groups
    > at LinkedIn. I have not removed myself from membership, but I can't
    > say I recommend them unless you wish to use it for employment or self
    > promotion.
    >
    > Rick

    I'm completely confused as to how you can have a FPGA group that is not
    "technically orientated" , it would be like having a flower arranging class
    without the flowers.

    steve, Jul 3, 2009
  5. cpld-fpga-asic

    rickman Guest

    On Jul 2, 8:23 pm, steve <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:08:16 +0800, rickman wrote
    > (in article
    > <>):
    >

    > > On Jun 28, 10:52 am, ""
    > > <> wrote:

    > >> could you describe the last technical FPGA related question
    > >> that your linkedin networking group solved?

    > >> unless you are able todo that, i see you repeated postings
    > >> to c.a.f. as complete spam

    > >> Antti

    > > Hi, I am one of the moderators at this group and I must be honest
    > > about it.  It is not a very technically oriented group.  I have tried
    > > to make some technically oriented posts there with few responses.
    > > This did not seem to stimulate much in the way of subsequent new
    > > topics either.  I have also made an effort to separate the technical
    > > content from the recruiting content and gotten feedback that the
    > > recruiters are the ones paying the way for LinkedIn and cutting them
    > > out would be a mistake.

    > > So I have given up on this group as well as other FPGA related groups
    > > at LinkedIn.  I have not removed myself from membership, but I can't
    > > say I recommend them unless you wish to use it for employment or self
    > > promotion.

    > > Rick

    >  I'm completely confused as to how you can have a FPGA  group that is not
    > "technically orientated" , it would be like having a flower arranging class
    > without the flowers.

    There are other aspects to any occupation than just the technical
    issues. LinkedIn is oriented toward the business issues such as
    getting a job or filling a job. As much as I would like to see it be
    more technical, it seems like it is pretty firmly rooted in networking
    with technical discussions being secondary.

    Is it really that odd to consider?

    Rick

    rickman, Jul 3, 2009
  6. cpld-fpga-asic

    MM Guest

    "rickman" <> wrote in message
    On Jul 2, 8:23 pm, steve <> wrote:

    > There are other aspects to any occupation than just the technical
    > issues. LinkedIn is oriented toward the business issues such as
    > getting a job or filling a job. As much as I would like to see it be
    > more technical, it seems like it is pretty firmly rooted in networking
    > with technical discussions being secondary.
    >
    > Is it really that odd to consider?
    >
    > Rick

    A bigger problem is how technical discussions are set up (or at least used
    to be set up when I last looked) and viewed on LinkedIn. Answering questions
    is supposed to earn you points to improve your image. The questions remain
    active for only limited period of time upon expiration of which no one can
    contribute. Finally, you need to be a premium (read paid) member to be able
    to send a private message to another member.

    /Mikhail

    MM, Jul 3, 2009
  7. cpld-fpga-asic

    rickman Guest

    On Jul 3, 1:47 pm, "MM" <> wrote:
    > "rickman" <> wrote in message

    > On Jul 2, 8:23 pm, steve <> wrote:
    >

    > > There are other aspects to any occupation than just the technical
    > > issues.  LinkedIn is oriented toward the business issues such as
    > > getting a job or filling a job.  As much as I would like to see it be
    > > more technical, it seems like it is pretty firmly rooted in networking
    > > with technical discussions being secondary.

    > > Is it really that odd to consider?

    > > Rick

    > A bigger problem is how technical discussions are set up (or at least used
    > to be set up when I last looked) and viewed on LinkedIn. Answering questions
    > is supposed to earn you points to improve your image. The questions remain
    > active for only limited period of time upon expiration of which no one can
    > contribute. Finally, you need to be a premium (read paid) member to be able
    > to send a private message to another member.
    >
    > /Mikhail

    I have not seen anything about points on LinkedIn. I think the only
    way to "improve" your image at LinkedIn is what you put in your
    profile. LinkedIn does not rate anyone that I am aware of.

    I think you may be remembering a different site than LinkedIn. They
    don't limit the time to reply to a discussion and I am not a paid
    member and I can send private messages. If I could find you, I would
    send you a private message to demonstrate, but there are a lot of
    Mikhails on LinkedIn.

    Rick

    rickman, Jul 3, 2009
  8. cpld-fpga-asic

    MM Guest

    "rickman" <> wrote in message
    On Jul 3, 1:47 pm, "MM" <> wrote:

    >I have not seen anything about points on LinkedIn. I think the only
    >way to "improve" your image at LinkedIn is what you put in your
    >profile. LinkedIn does not rate anyone that I am aware of.
    >
    >I think you may be remembering a different site than LinkedIn. They
    >don't limit the time to reply to a discussion and I am not a paid
    >member and I can send private messages. If I could find you, I would
    >send you a private message to demonstrate, but there are a lot of
    >Mikhails on LinkedIn.

    I should have put points in quote marks. There is no rating, but there is an
    option to see all the answers by a person. I am not confusing LinkedIn with
    another site but I might be confusing discussions in its groups with its
    Answers section though. With regards to the private mail, it seems as they
    have recently changed their policy. It used to be that you could only send a
    message to someone in your network, for anyone else the only type of message
    you could send was an invitation to join your network.

    /Mikhail

    MM, Jul 3, 2009
  9. cpld-fpga-asic

    rickman Guest

    On Jul 3, 3:46 pm, "MM" <> wrote:
    > "rickman" <> wrote in message

    > On Jul 3, 1:47 pm, "MM" <> wrote:
    >

    > >I have not seen anything about points on LinkedIn. I think the only
    > >way to "improve" your image at LinkedIn is what you put in your
    > >profile. LinkedIn does not rate anyone that I am aware of.

    > >I think you may be remembering a different site than LinkedIn. They
    > >don't limit the time to reply to a discussion and I am not a paid
    > >member and I can send private messages. If I could find you, I would
    > >send you a private message to demonstrate, but there are a lot of
    > >Mikhails on LinkedIn.

    > I should have put points in quote marks. There is no rating, but there is an
    > option to see all the answers by a person. I am not confusing LinkedIn with
    > another site but I might be confusing discussions in its groups with its
    > Answers section though. With regards to the private mail, it seems as they
    > have recently changed their policy. It used to be that you could only send a
    > message to someone in your network, for anyone else the only type of message
    > you could send was an invitation to join your network.
    >
    > /Mikhail

    I believe you are correct about the change. I don't use it that often
    so I don't recall all the details, but I seem to recall that when I
    tried to contact someone a while back I had to "invite" them to my
    network. Fortunately that has changed now.

    I'm not at all familiar with the Answers section. I guess I just have
    not explored it a lot. I find the interface to be a bit less than
    obvious, but then I think that about a lot of web sites like Facebook
    and Twitter.

    For example, I can't find a way to reach a human at Twitter to report
    spam to or to ask to block emails to my domain. I keep getting form
    emails back about using their support web pages. I guess I will have
    to resort to the post office.

    Speaking of Twitter, I got some spam (an invitation to join as one of
    their "twits") from someone there and I can't find a way to report
    them. There used to be a law here in Maryland that would allow you to
    sue a spammer for $500 for each email they knowingly sent to a
    Maryland state resident. A guy decided to fight back by taking an
    email address at <marylandstateresident.com> and started suing
    spammers. He snared a couple of small time spammers selling BS
    assembly projects that you could assemble and then get paid for. Of
    course no one ever made them good enough to get through "quality
    control". Then a spammer fought back and won in court with the ruling
    that it would be next to impossible for a spammer to "know" he was
    spamming a Maryland state resident. Otherwise participation by the
    State Attorney General is required in order to sue a spammer if I
    understand the current law.

    Rick

    rickman, Jul 3, 2009
  10. cpld-fpga-asic

    MM Guest

    "rickman" <> wrote

    > For example, I can't find a way to reach a human at Twitter

    Why on earth a grown man would want to use Twitter? :)

    /Mikhail

    MM, Jul 5, 2009
  11. cpld-fpga-asic

    rickman Guest

    On Jul 4, 11:02 pm, "MM" <> wrote:
    > "rickman" <> wrote
    >

    > > For example, I can't find a way to reach a human at Twitter

    > Why on earth a grown man would want to use Twitter? :)
    >
    > /Mikhail

    I'm not trying to *use* it, I want them to stop sending me junk
    email! Didn't you read the post?

    Rick

    rickman, Jul 5, 2009
  12. cpld-fpga-asic

    Nico Coesel Guest

    steve <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:08:16 +0800, rickman wrote
    >(in article
    ><>):
    >
    >> On Jun 28, 10:52=A0am, ""
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> could you describe the last technical FPGA related question
    >>> that your linkedin networking group solved?
    >>>
    >>> unless you are able todo that, i see you repeated postings
    >>> to c.a.f. as complete spam
    >>>
    >>> Antti

    >> Hi, I am one of the moderators at this group and I must be honest
    >> about it. It is not a very technically oriented group. I have tried
    >> to make some technically oriented posts there with few responses.
    >> out would be a mistake.
    >>
    >> So I have given up on this group as well as other FPGA related groups
    >> at LinkedIn. I have not removed myself from membership, but I can't
    >> say I recommend them unless you wish to use it for employment or self
    >> promotion.
    >>
    >> Rick

    > I'm completely confused as to how you can have a FPGA group that is not
    >"technically orientated" , it would be like having a flower arranging class
    >without the flowers.

    LinkedIn is not about solving problems. It is about hiring the right
    people to solve problems. To get back to your example: you could find
    someone thru LinkedIn that can arrange the flowers for you.

    "If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer!"

    Nico Coesel, Jul 5, 2009
  13. cpld-fpga-asic

    steve Guest

    On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 16:23:01 +0800, Nico Coesel wrote
    (in article <>):

    > steve <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:08:16 +0800, rickman wrote
    >> (in article
    >> <>):

    >>> Hi, I am one of the moderators at this group and I must be honest
    >>> about it. It is not a very technically oriented group. I have tried
    >>> to make some technically oriented posts there with few responses.
    >>> out would be a mistake.
    >>>
    >>> So I have given up on this group as well as other FPGA related groups
    >>> at LinkedIn. I have not removed myself from membership, but I can't
    >>> say I recommend them unless you wish to use it for employment or self
    >>> promotion.
    >>>
    >>> Rick

    >> I'm completely confused as to how you can have a FPGA group that is not
    >> "technically orientated" , it would be like having a flower arranging class
    >> without the flowers.

    > LinkedIn is not about solving problems. It is about hiring the right
    > people to solve problems. To get back to your example: you could find
    > someone thru LinkedIn that can arrange the flowers for you.

    we are not talking about "linkedin" ,we are talking about a technical group
    within the "LI" network.
    If you cannot keep up, there is Lego and crayons over in the play area.

    steve, Jul 6, 2009
  14. cpld-fpga-asic

    rickman Guest

    On Jul 6, 9:12 am, Jonathan Bromley <>
    wrote:
    > On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 21:02:42 +0800, steve <> wrote:
    > >we are not talking about "linkedin"  ,we are talking about a technical group
    > >within the  "LI" network.
    > >If you cannot keep up, there  is Lego and crayons over in the play area.

    > Ah, the New Media Priesthood.  Their mantra: If you
    > Don't Get It, we will patronize you to death.
    >
    > Me, I definitely Don't Get It, and I really don't
    > care all that much, and I've been patronized in
    > the past by people I respect a lot more than the
    > Noo Meeja Vangelists, so I don't feel too worried.
    >
    > Is there a LinkedIn group for elderly curmudgeons?
    > I'm in there...
    > --
    > Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

    I haven't found one, but you can start it! I'll probably join as
    well. What is it about getting old anyway???

    Rick

    rickman, Jul 6, 2009