    corresponding VHDL-programmed FPGA. Has anyone done anything similar?

    Thanks,

    Neil

    Neil Zanella, Nov 16, 2003

  2. Neil Zanella

    Iwo Mergler Guest

    Neil Zanella wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I would like to know, how hard would it be to program an FPGA so that it
    > can communicate with a Linux kernel, and/or write a Linux driver for the
    > corresponding VHDL-programmed FPGA. Has anyone done anything similar?

    Depends. ;^)

    Since the FPGA has to talk to the same hardware, designing the circuitry
    in the FPGA is exactly identical - independent of the OS.

    Writing a driver is easier than in Windows. In its simplest form you
    compile a single 'C' file and load the resulting object file into the
    running kernel.

    This is a minimal driver:

    #define MODULE
    #include <linux/module.h>

    /* This is run when the driver is inserted into the kernel */
    int init_module(void)
    {
    printk("<1>Hello world.\n");
    return 0;
    }

    /* This is run when the driver is removed from the kernel */
    void cleanup_module(void)
    {
    printk("<1>Godbye world.\n");
    }