FPSLIC vs Xilinx

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Richo, Dec 31, 2006.

  1. Richo

    Richo Guest

    Hi All,

    I'm looking to design and build a microcontroller & FPGA-based design
    and am considering the FPSLIC as an option. However, I'm a bit
    concerned about a few things that I've come across:

    - There has been a few suggestions on discussion forums that the
    FPSLIC is not long for this world as it hasn't been that popular - I
    really like the idea of the FPSLIC, so would be dissapointed if this
    was the case - anyone know how true this is?
    - The development kit comes with a license for the system designer
    software for the first 4 months, but I can't find anywhere that tells
    me how much I'll be up for after that. Four months is fine for the
    initial design, but what about ongoing maintenance?
    - The cost of the chip from digikey seems very high. What's is the
    indicative volume pricing of the 40k device? Single chip from digikey
    is US$50 per chip.
    - Anyone have experience with using GCC with the FPSLIC - I'm ok with
    codevision or imagecraft, but I've found that GCC has more support with
    C/C++ constructs in the past (just coding style preferences).

    Btw, I've been developing my VHDL with xilinx ISE, but there seem to be
    serious issues with the simulation engine. I keep getting the
    "ERROR:Simulator:222 - Generated C++ compilation was unsuccessful".
    This is making me reconsider the FPSLIC again.

    Best Regards,

    Glenn.
    Richo, Dec 31, 2006

  2. Richo

    Guest

    IMnsHO, the problem with the FPSLIC is the price. For less money you
    can get a "normal" FPGA that can hold a soft core and have more gates
    left over. And you get to pick your CPU.

    IIRC, the FPSLIC software is in the $5K range.

    Can you be more specific simulator problems?

    GH

    Richo wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm looking to design and build a microcontroller & FPGA-based design
    > and am considering the FPSLIC as an option. However, I'm a bit
    > concerned about a few things that I've come across:
    >
    > - There has been a few suggestions on discussion forums that the
    > FPSLIC is not long for this world as it hasn't been that popular - I
    > really like the idea of the FPSLIC, so would be dissapointed if this
    > was the case - anyone know how true this is?
    > - The development kit comes with a license for the system designer
    > software for the first 4 months, but I can't find anywhere that tells
    > me how much I'll be up for after that. Four months is fine for the
    > initial design, but what about ongoing maintenance?
    > - The cost of the chip from digikey seems very high. What's is the
    > indicative volume pricing of the 40k device? Single chip from digikey
    > is US$50 per chip.
    > - Anyone have experience with using GCC with the FPSLIC - I'm ok with
    > codevision or imagecraft, but I've found that GCC has more support with
    > C/C++ constructs in the past (just coding style preferences).
    >
    > Btw, I've been developing my VHDL with xilinx ISE, but there seem to be
    > serious issues with the simulation engine. I keep getting the
    > "ERROR:Simulator:222 - Generated C++ compilation was unsuccessful".
    > This is making me reconsider the FPSLIC again.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    >
    > Glenn.
    , Jan 4, 2007