Fragile Fences

Roedy Green

This response is typical of the kind of thinking that started this whole
Eclipse subthread. Instead of going to see what kind documentation the
Eclipse project actually has, you make assumptions. Instead of reading
the Eclipse documentation, you make assumptions about how it works based
on observational behavior.

The documentation I have read so far is not encouraging.

Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Dale King

Virgil said:
I was mystified by the steadfastness manner in which you continue to argue
since I firmly believe that you are a professional rather than a hobbyist.
The lack of specifics in your arguments seemed to indicate that you were
still in the superstition camp in this debate.

Doesn't mystify me. Look how Roedy still keeps claiming in his sig that
a member of the Bush family embezzeled $3 trillion dollars from the
Pentagon when I have repeatedly shown him that is false.

Stephan Eggermont

Chris Smith said:
This is how it should be. Visual Age taught IBM that many programmers
aren't ready to have their IDE completely own their source code, and the
universal form of source code, at least in Java, is text.

Well, that was the wrong conclusion to draw. Programmers don't like
it when their source code disappears never to be found again. That's
what killed Visual Age.

Stephan

Virgil Green

Roedy said:
Why? because I had done experiments and I had results. I presumed
others had not done any experiments, or surely they would have got the
same results. Others seemed far more interested in putting me down
than doing any experiments. I just assumed you were a stupid jerk who
was flatly refusing to test this out for yourself and was simply
pontificating that I was wrong. Once an idea like that gets locked in
my head, it takes something quite major to shake it.

"Why?" Presumption, assumption and stubborness... there was quite enough
evidence that was fairly presented in contradiction to your claims.
I have yet to sort out how I could have got different results earlier.
I did the experiments repeatedly because I was so surprised by the
results.

Which is why we (I) asked for a fully specified experiment. That would have
included file name, paths, versions, etc. Just specifying the exact steps
and conditions would probably have resolved this far more quickly in your
mind.
My theories now are that the my strange early results were caused by:

1. I was actually editing files outside eclipse and copying them in
rather than editing eclipse's files in place. Perhaps the files I was
replacing were somehow dated older than the ones Eclipse last had so
it did not notice the changes.

They aren't "Eclipse's files". Eclipse opens the file from wherever the
Project path points.
2. Perhaps I actually had eclipse running, but supposedly not using
the files in question.

3. Perhaps I actually had eclipse running, but the files it was
supposedly not using were just offscreen.

4. Perhaps you have to do the experiment very quickly or slowly to get
the anomalous results.

5. I was in an alternate reality where Eclipse is a true SCID.

6. I was copying my changed files to some bit bucket rather than the
eclipse working directory. At this point, this seems the most probable
explanation.

Sorry for leading you all on this wild goose chase.

If you really care about what may have caused your anamolous results, fully
document each experiment. I suspect you won't have it happen again unless
and until you discover that the process was flawed.

Virgil Green

Roedy said:
Come now. I was just making sure that you as a more advanced user
than me had set something away from the default that might change the
outcome. If you had, you should be aware of this switch. Eclipse is
like a rabbit warren. I had not yet found the switches you allude to,
but still wanted you to be aware such settings might affect our
experiment.

I had things on default.

Then you merely needed to identify your version, build, and state that you
had all default settings. How hard was that? You're the one who originally
brought up the "auto-refresh" setting, so you were expected to explicitly
identify it for the discussion. Yes, we're now discussing the discovery and
investigation process.
Part of the reason I had so much trouble with you is that I assumed
you were more motivated by a desire to put down than to discover
truth.

Assumptions... unfounded, I might add. There was more than enough evidence
in this thread to demonstrate otherwise.
You appeared then as a deceptive enemy, not a fellow seeker of what is
truly so.

Which is more of the assumptions on your part (to which you earlier
alluded).

Dale King

Stephan said:
Well, that was the wrong conclusion to draw. Programmers don't like
it when their source code disappears never to be found again. That's
what killed Visual Age.

No, what killed Visual Age was that having its own compiler and runtime
that was written in SmallTalk made it too hard to keep up with changing
versions of Java. They stopped at 1.1.8 and never developed a 1.2 version.

The other problem was that the envy database did not handle flat files
so resource files had to be handled differently than source.

I never had an instance of diappearing source code.

Roedy Green

Doesn't mystify me. Look how Roedy still keeps claiming in his sig that
a member of the Bush family embezzeled $3 trillion dollars from the
Pentagon when I have repeatedly shown him that is false.

As far as I can tell, all you have said is you can't get through to
the site.

Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

IchBin

Roedy said:
As far as I can tell, all you have said is you can't get through to
the site.
Roedy for what it is worth. Just to let you know, when you first posted
that url. I had no problem loading that page an video.

It was very interesting...

--

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA http://weconsultants.servebeer.com

' If there is one, Knowledge is the "Fountain of Youth"'
-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Dale King

Roedy said:
As far as I can tell, all you have said is you can't get through to
the site.

Then you obviously aren't reading. I pointed you to a transctipt of the
same thing as the video and:

- There is no confession of anything by Rumsfeld. The only thing said by
Rumsfeld on that issue was we'll get back to you on that.
- Even if there were, Rumsfeld is not a member of the Bush family
- The money in question was from 1999 and 2000. Bush was not President
until 2001.

Therefore your claim that a member of the Bush family lost or embezzeled
any money from the Pentagon or that Rumsfeld confessed to something is a
complete lie and has no business in this group.