Fragile

Thom Little

Create two ASP.NET applications. Run them on the development machine to
make sure they are error free.

Publish the fist application to the root of a remote webspace.
Call a page and see that it operates correctly.

Publish the second application to the root of the same remote webspace.
Permit it to overwrite existing files.
Call a page and notice that it waits forever.

Using a third-party FTP program delete all files in the root of the remote
webspace.
Publish the second application to the seemingly empty root of the same
remote webspace.
Call a page and notice that it waits forever.

In all cases Visual Studio 2005 reports "Publish Succeeded".

What "magic" must be performed to reset the error condition on the remote
server?

Thom Little

If the remote server is manually "reset" then the hanging condition
(whatever it is) goes away and pages are again served from the 2.0
application.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Thom,

For IIS web applicaiton virtual directory, when an application is already
running, there exists worker process for that application and asp.net
runtime will also monitoring the application's physical directory and its
files and contents.... So if we directly use the VS IDE's publish site's
publish a web application to a new website, it'll directly change the
virtual directory's physical dir(such as clear the directory and copy new
files...), that'll make the running application get problem. And when we
visit the new application, there may occur problems. So the prefered means
is stop that application in IIS before we do such deployment change...
Also, if you're using IIS 6, we can just stop or recycle the Application's
Applicatino Pool instead of using IISreset to restart the whole IIS
server......

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "Thom Little" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Fragile
| Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:35:45 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| If the remote server is manually "reset" then the hanging condition
| (whatever it is) goes away and pages are again served from the 2.0
| application.
|
| --
| -- Thom Little -- www.tlanet.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
| --
|
| | > Create two ASP.NET applications. Run them on the development machine
| > make sure they are error free.
| >
| > Publish the fist application to the root of a remote webspace.
| > Call a page and see that it operates correctly.
| >
| > Publish the second application to the root of the same remote webspace.
| > Permit it to overwrite existing files.
| > Call a page and notice that it waits forever.
| >
| > Using a third-party FTP program delete all files in the root of the
| > remote webspace.
| > Publish the second application to the seemingly empty root of the same
| > remote webspace.
| > Call a page and notice that it waits forever.
| >
| > In all cases Visual Studio 2005 reports "Publish Succeeded".
| >
| > What "magic" must be performed to reset the error condition on the
remote
| > server?
| >
| > --
| > -- Thom Little -- www.tlanet.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
| > --

Thom Little

Thank you for the explanation.

I am using a hosting service that is remote from my development environment.
It is IIS 5.0 under Server 2000. My environment is XP Pro SP2 with VS 2005
(and IIS 5.1 for what difference that makes).

Is there a method/technique that will permit me to shut down the application
on the remote machine?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response Thom,

Yes, we can control a remote IIS server on local machine through the
following means:

1. using the IIS manager (inetmgr)'s connect function to connect to a
remote IIS server. Just right click the server machine node in IIS
manager, and choose the "Connect" menu item. In the popup dialog specify
the remote machine name and the specify user account you want to connect to
that remote server....
After you successfully connect to the remote server, you can manage the IIS
site just as the local IIS site....

#Remote IIS 5.0 Administration
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/24472/24472.html

#note that IIS 5 can only remotely connect IIS5 .....

2. use the ADSI programming interface to manipulate remote IIS website:

Here are some reference in the technet IIS script center:

#Sample scripts for managing Web sites on Internet Information Server 5.0
and 5.1.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/iis/iis5x/web/default.
mspx

For further detailed info on IIS management, you can also try posting in
the IIS(inetserver) newsgroup....

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Thom Little" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Fragile
| Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 02:43:52 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Thank you for the explanation.
|
| I am using a hosting service that is remote from my development
environment.
| It is IIS 5.0 under Server 2000. My environment is XP Pro SP2 with VS
2005
| (and IIS 5.1 for what difference that makes).
|
| Is there a method/technique that will permit me to shut down the
application
| on the remote machine?
|
| --
| -- Thom Little -- www.tlanet.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
| --
|
| | > Hi Thom,
| >
| > For IIS web applicaiton virtual directory, when an application is
already
| > running, there exists worker process for that application and asp.net
| > runtime will also monitoring the application's physical directory and
its
| > files and contents.... So if we directly use the VS IDE's publish
site's
| > publish a web application to a new website, it'll directly change the
| > virtual directory's physical dir(such as clear the directory and copy
new
| > files...), that'll make the running application get problem. And when we
| > visit the new application, there may occur problems. So the prefered
means
| > is stop that application in IIS before we do such deployment change...
| > Also, if you're using IIS 6, we can just stop or recycle the
| > Application's
| > Applicatino Pool instead of using IISreset to restart the whole IIS
| > server......
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Thom Little" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Fragile
| > | Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:35:45 -0500
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | If the remote server is manually "reset" then the hanging condition
| > | (whatever it is) goes away and pages are again served from the 2.0
| > | application.
| > |
| > | --
| > | -- Thom Little -- www.tlanet.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
| > | --
| > |

| > webspace.

| > remote

Ltd.

| > |
| > |
| > |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Thom,

Does my suggestion in last message helps a little? If there're anything
else need assistance, please feel free to post here.
Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 04:46:23 GMT
| Subject: Re: Fragile
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Thanks for your response Thom,
|
| Yes, we can control a remote IIS server on local machine through the
| following means:
|
| 1. using the IIS manager (inetmgr)'s connect function to connect to a
| remote IIS server. Just right click the server machine node in IIS
| manager, and choose the "Connect" menu item. In the popup dialog specify
| the remote machine name and the specify user account you want to connect
| that remote server....
| After you successfully connect to the remote server, you can manage the
IIS
| site just as the local IIS site....
|
| #Remote IIS 5.0 Administration
| http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/24472/24472.html
|
| #note that IIS 5 can only remotely connect IIS5 .....
|
| 2. use the ADSI programming interface to manipulate remote IIS website:
|
| Here are some reference in the technet IIS script center:
|
| #Sample scripts for managing Web sites on Internet Information Server 5.0
| and 5.1.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/iis/iis5x/web/default.
| mspx
|
| For further detailed info on IIS management, you can also try posting in
| the IIS(inetserver) newsgroup....
|
| Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|

| --------------------
| | From: "Thom Little" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: Fragile
| | Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 02:43:52 -0500
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| |
| | Thank you for the explanation.
| |
| | I am using a hosting service that is remote from my development
| environment.
| | It is IIS 5.0 under Server 2000. My environment is XP Pro SP2 with VS
| 2005
| | (and IIS 5.1 for what difference that makes).
| |
| | Is there a method/technique that will permit me to shut down the
| application
| | on the remote machine?
| |
| | --
| | -- Thom Little -- www.tlanet.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
| | --
| |

| | > For IIS web applicaiton virtual directory, when an application is
| already
| | > running, there exists worker process for that application and asp.net
| | > runtime will also monitoring the application's physical directory and
| its
| | > files and contents.... So if we directly use the VS IDE's publish
| site's
| | > publish a web application to a new website, it'll directly change the
| | > virtual directory's physical dir(such as clear the directory and copy
| new
| | > files...), that'll make the running application get problem. And when
we
| | > visit the new application, there may occur problems. So the prefered
| means
| | > is stop that application in IIS before we do such deployment change...
| | > Also, if you're using IIS 6, we can just stop or recycle the
| | > Application's
| | > Applicatino Pool instead of using IISreset to restart the whole IIS
| | > server......
| | >
| | > Thanks,
| | >
| | > Steven Cheng
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | >
| | > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| | > (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| | > rights.)
| | > --------------------
| | > |
Ltd.
| | > |
| machine

| | > webspace.

| same

| | > remote

| Ltd.

| | > |
| | > |
| | > |

| |
| |
| |

Thom Little

(The multiple threads were cumbersome. I am providing the feedback here
instead.)

I have not given up ... some of the problem that I was having was caused by
an unusual structure on my providers server and part of it was the behavior
pf "Publish" in Visual Studio.

1. "mother directory"

I have multiple customer webspaces on a remote server. Each is separated
from the others EXCEPT that my provider also added the capability to login
once to FTP to them all. My ftp connection typically looks like

ftp://ftp.tlanet.net and a starting directory of /tlanet. This structure is
a little redundant but never caused any problems ... until now. In Visual
Studio I need to publish to

ftp://ftp.tlanet.net/tlanet ... if the starting directory is erroneously by
omitted the subdirectory and simply use

ftp://ftp.tlanet.net the Visual Studio happily places the website in this
"hinterland" area that is never served (is inaccessible) by the HTTP server.
This adds a Web.Config file that "I think" is then inherited by all the
webspaces on that physical server.

I think this problem is unique to this provider. If Visual Studio
"remembered" the publish location of each Solution and defaulted to it each
time then the possibility of typing errors would be greatly reduced.

2. Deleted during Publish

Visual Studio precedes a publish with a deletion of all the files in the
directory of the webspace. When this is done false information can be shown
remotely as the status of the ftp space.

At one point in my testing the simple absence of a subdirectory in the
string given to Visual Studio resulted in the instantaneous deletion of all
12 webspaces (108MB) of data on the remote server! It was reported to me
that there was no indication in the log that this had happened ... it all
just evaporated instantly.

This behavior is understandable but there should be a gigantic WARNING label
concerning it.

3. DLL Name

Version 1.1 would set the name of the DLL to the name of the NameSpace.
This permitted easy copying into the common /bin in the root of all the DLLs
in the webspace.

Version 2.0 has no namespace and seems to insist on dynamically creating a
new DLL name for each Publish of the website. This makes administration of
the common /bin folder rather tedious.

Is there a way to force a static DLL name?

Thom Little

I have successfully deployed two 2.0 applications to the same webspace ...

One (with a master page) is in the root.
The other is in a subdirectory.

After Publishing the site in the subdirectory I moved the DLLs in the /bin
directory of the subdirectory to the /bin directory of the root.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your followup Thom,

Glad that you've made progress on this. As for the solution/project postion
of asp.net 2.0/vs 2005, since it use projectless model, there is no such
info like vs 2003 which point the project position, however, this also
improve the flexibility and loose coupled extent of web site application
with IDE....

For generating single main assembly as vs 2003 project, the asp.net team
provide a new web deployment project which provide some features on this,
it can let us make all page's dynamic classes compiled into one single
assembly or force each page being compiled into separate assembly:

#Visual Studio 2005 Web Deployment Projects (Beta Preview)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/reference/infrastructure/wdp/default.aspx

In addition, seems the ASP.NET dev team is also planing to provide a new
web project model which is targeting those customers who prefer the vs 2003
web project style. You can find the info at the web &platform team GM's
blog:

#New Web Project Model Option Coming for VS 2005
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/12/07/432630.aspx

BTW, as you mentioned
===============
After Publishing the site in the subdirectory I moved the DLLs in the /bin
directory of the subdirectory to the /bin directory of the root.
===============

Are you configuring the sub directory as a normal virtual dir rather than
an application dir? If so, that's ok. However, for application virtual dir,
we have to put that application's assemblies in its own "bin" dir rather
than parent's bin dir....

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Thom Little" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Deployment Status
| Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 04:36:54 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I have successfully deployed two 2.0 applications to the same webspace ...
|
| One (with a master page) is in the root.
| The other is in a subdirectory.
|
| After Publishing the site in the subdirectory I moved the DLLs in the
/bin
| directory of the subdirectory to the /bin directory of the root.
|
| --
| -- Thom Little -- www.tlanet.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
| --

Thom Little

Did you see the preceding message on the thread that had three issues for
your consideration?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Thom,

Do you mean the following three questions:

1. "mother directory"

2. Deleted during Publish

3. DLL Name

As for #3, I've mentioned the web deployment project which may helps
building a single assembly for one website....

For #2, I've also found some other customers and community members
discussing on this. Actually, for publishing site and prevent deleting
original directory and sub directories, I think we can consider use the
following means;

1) first use PublishSite to publish the website to a local physical folder
2)use VS2005 ide to open that published local folder (precompiled site) and
use the "Copy WebSite" function to deploy it to target site....

The "Copy WebSite" in vs 2005 IDE just provide a FTP client like function
which help us add,edit or remove files on remote webserver ..... (won't
deleting existing files automatically...).

For #1, I'm afraid so far vs 2005 will not have such memory on web
appication(site) location since the new asp.net 2.0 web application is
project less. When we need to open a website in vs 2005, we need to make
sure we point to the correct root folder (on file system or IIS virtual
dir).. Also, in IIS server, an asp.net application still must be deployed
in an application virtual dir(this is the same with asp.net 1.1).

> [...]

| > dir,
| > we have to put that application's assemblies in its own "bin" dir rather
| > than parent's bin dir....
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Thom Little" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Deployment Status
| > | Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 04:36:54 -0500
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | One (with a master page) is in the root.
| > | The other is in a subdirectory.
| > |
| > | After Publishing the site in the subdirectory I moved the DLLs in the
| > /bin
| > | directory of the subdirectory to the /bin directory of the root.
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Thom,

Does my further information helps a little?

Please feel free to post here if anything else we can help.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<#[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<Q#[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 06:20:54 GMT
| Subject: Re: Deployment Status
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi Thom,
|
| Do you mean the following three questions:
|
| 1. "mother directory"
|
| 2. Deleted during Publish
|
| 3. DLL Name
|
| As for #3, I've mentioned the web deployment project which may helps
| building a single assembly for one website....
|
| For #2, I've also found some other customers and community members
| discussing on this. Actually, for publishing site and prevent deleting
| original directory and sub directories, I think we can consider use the
| following means;
|
| 1) first use PublishSite to publish the website to a local physical
folder
| ..
| 2)use VS2005 ide to open that published local folder (precompiled site)
and
| use the "Copy WebSite" function to deploy it to target site....
|
| The "Copy WebSite" in vs 2005 IDE just provide a FTP client like function
| which help us add,edit or remove files on remote webserver ..... (won't
| deleting existing files automatically...).
|
| For #1, I'm afraid so far vs 2005 will not have such memory on web
| appication(site) location since the new asp.net 2.0 web application is
| project less. When we need to open a website in vs 2005, we need to make
| sure we point to the correct root folder (on file system or IIS virtual
| dir).. Also, in IIS server, an asp.net application still must be
deployed
| in an application virtual dir(this is the same with asp.net 1.1).
|
| Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|
| --------------------
| | From: "Thom Little" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: Deployment Status
| | Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 09:59:19 -0500
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| |
| | Did you see the preceding message on the thread that had three issues
for
| | your consideration?
| |
| | --
| | -- Thom Little -- www.tlanet.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
| | --
| |

| | > Glad that you've made progress on this. As for the solution/project
| | > postion
| | > of asp.net 2.0/vs 2005, since it use projectless model, there is no
such
| | > info like vs 2003 which point the project position, however, this also
| | > improve the flexibility and loose coupled extent of web site
application
| | > with IDE....
| | >
| | > For generating single main assembly as vs 2003 project, the asp.net
team
| | > provide a new web deployment project which provide some features on
| this,
| | > it can let us make all page's dynamic classes compiled into one single
| | > assembly or force each page being compiled into separate assembly:
| | >
| | > #Visual Studio 2005 Web Deployment Projects (Beta Preview)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/reference/infrastructure/wdp/default.aspx

| | > In addition, seems the ASP.NET dev team is also planing to provide a
new
| | > web project model which is targeting those customers who prefer the
vs
| | > 2003
| | > web project style. You can find the info at the web &platform team
GM's
| | > blog:
| | >
| | > #New Web Project Model Option Coming for VS 2005
| | > http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/12/07/432630.aspx
| | >

| | > BTW, as you mentioned
| | > ===============
| | > After Publishing the site in the subdirectory I moved the DLLs in the
| /bin
| | > directory of the subdirectory to the /bin directory of the root.
| | > ===============
| | >
| | > Are you configuring the sub directory as a normal virtual dir rather
| than
| | > an application dir? If so, that's ok. However, for application
virtual
| | > dir,
| | > we have to put that application's assemblies in its own "bin" dir
rather
| | > than parent's bin dir....
| | >
| | > Thanks,
| | >
| | > Steven Cheng
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | >
| | > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| | > (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| | > rights.)
| | >

| | > --------------------
| | > |
| | > |