frame "onload" fires only first time in NN?

TPG

I'd like a Javascript function I have written to be invoked whenever
*any* new document is been loaded into a particular frame (i.e I don't
control the incoming document's BODY tag). Under MSIE5.5, I've found
that the ONLOAD handler attribute of the corresponding frame element
is invoked *every* time a new document is loaded into that frame.
This works fine for me.

Under NN6.2, however, I find that the same ONLOAD handler attribute
fires only the *first* time a new document is loaded - and never
subsequently.

I have tried inserting a trigger via scripts that set the "onload"
propery of the frame-element and the frame-window objects, but under
NN6.2 neither causes the onload handler to be invoked after the
initial load.

I have thought of (and wasted a lot of time implementing) several
ingenious but fruitless attempts at workarounds - and now I am ready
to admit that I need some expert help.

TPG

Michael Winter

TPG wrote on 24 Nov 2003:
[...]

According to the HTML 4.01 specification, there is no 'onload'
intrinsic event for FRAME elements, only the BODY and FRAMESET
elements. This means that Internet Explorer isn't implementing the
specification properly (what a surprise). I would think the only
reason why Netscape would allow it is because the Frame object is
basically the window object.

Perhaps someone else could suggest a way around this.

Mike