Frame Resizing

Discussion in 'HTML' started by D. Comyn, Jun 20, 2004.

  1. D. Comyn

    D. Comyn Guest

    I have a page with the following code:

    <frameset border=0 framespacing=0 rows=160,* frameborder=0>
    <frame name=header marginwidth=0 marginheight=0 bottomnargin=0
    src="header.html" scrolling=NO noresize>
    <frameset border=0 framespacing=0 cols=140,630,* frameborder=0>
    <frame NORESIZE name=menu marginwidth=15 marginheight=15
    bottomnargin=15 src="menu.html" scrolling=NO>
    <frame NORESIZE name=content marginwidth=0 marginheight=0
    bottomnargin=0 src="content.html" scrolling=YES>
    <frame name=right marginwidth=0 marginheight=0 bottomnargin=0
    src="right.html">
    </frameset>
    </frameset>

    The problem:

    In the 'menu' frame, I have a page which contains a javescript menu that I
    would like to remain visible no matter the size of the browser window.

    As it is set up right now, when the browser window is made horizontally
    smaller, the content frame overlaps the menu frame.

    Any way to prevent this from happening?

    TIA
    D. Comyn, Jun 20, 2004

  2. D. Comyn

    Els Guest

    D. Comyn wrote:

    > I have a page with the following code:

    [snip]

    > <frameset border=0 framespacing=0 cols=140,630,*
    > frameborder=0>

    [snip]

    > The problem:
    >
    > In the 'menu' frame, I have a page which contains a
    > javescript menu that I would like to remain visible no
    > matter the size of the browser window.
    >
    > As it is set up right now, when the browser window is made
    > horizontally smaller, the content frame overlaps the menu
    > frame.
    >
    > Any way to prevent this from happening?

    The reason it happens is the cols=140,630,*.
    I don't know what's in your right frame, but it would be more
    logical, to use cols="140,*,100". Replace 100 with the width
    you need for the right frame, now the menu will only disappear
    if the window gets narrower than 140+100=240. (But your
    content will disappear first :) )

    Better: ditch the frames.
    And don't forget to make an alternative for your JavaScript
    menu, or else I won't be able to navigate with my JavaScript
    turned off.

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, Jun 20, 2004

  3. D. Comyn

    Neal Guest

    On 20 Jun 2004 18:06:35 GMT, Els <> wrote:

    > And don't forget to make an alternative for your JavaScript
    > menu, or else I won't be able to navigate with my JavaScript
    > turned off.

    Or Google with its Javascript not existing...
    Neal, Jun 20, 2004
  4. D. Comyn

    Els Guest

    Neal wrote:

    > On 20 Jun 2004 18:06:35 GMT, Els <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> And don't forget to make an alternative for your
    >> JavaScript menu, or else I won't be able to navigate with
    >> my JavaScript turned off.

    > Or Google with its Javascript not existing...

    That too.
    (thanks Neal :) )

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, Jun 20, 2004
  5. D. Comyn

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <fbkBc.8266$>,
    says...
    > I have a page with the following code:
    > The problem:
    > In the 'menu' frame, I have a page which contains a javescript menu that I
    > would like to remain visible no matter the size of the browser window.

    Impossible. Your best bet is to have the "menu" in the upper left
    corner of the page in the frame.

    > As it is set up right now, when the browser window is made horizontally
    > smaller, the content frame overlaps the menu frame.
    > Any way to prevent this from happening?

    Probably not.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment