    Hi

    I have problem. I don't know as creating centre frame. How Can I do this.

    I am sorry too mistakes but I am Polish.:)

    Krzysiek C, Dec 11, 2004

  2. In article <cpfn80$odi$>, says...
    > I have problem. I don't know as creating centre frame. How Can I do this.

    There are a million reasons to not use frames, and about 4 to use them.
    I am guessing you are not one of the four.

    > I am sorry too mistakes but I am Polish.:)

    It would just be too easy....
    --
    -=*Tn*=-

    Travis Newbury, Dec 11, 2004

  3. Krzysiek C

    Neal Guest

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 22:02:00 +0100, Krzysiek C <> wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I have problem. I don't know as creating centre frame. How Can I do this.

    It's recommended to NOT use frames on the WWW in general. Very few
    exceptions exist, and I have yet to encounter them.

    > I am sorry too mistakes but I am Polish.:)

    We need a URL address to a webpage where you have this problem. Can you
    post one, please?

    Neal, Dec 11, 2004
  4. Krzysiek C

    Jan Faerber Guest

    Krzysiek C wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I have problem. I don't know as creating centre frame. How Can I do this.
    >
    > I am sorry too mistakes but I am Polish.:)

    <frameset rows="20%,*,20%"> or same with cols.

    --
    Jan

    http://linux.janfaerber.com

    Jan Faerber, Dec 11, 2004
  5. Krzysiek C

    Mitja Guest

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:26:19 -0500, Neal <> wrote:

    > It's recommended to NOT use frames on the WWW in general. Very few
    > exceptions exist, and I have yet to encounter them.

    Java API reference springs to mind....

    --
    Mitja

    Mitja, Dec 11, 2004
  6. Mitja wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:26:19 -0500, Neal <> wrote:
    >
    >> It's recommended to NOT use frames on the WWW in general. Very few
    >> exceptions exist, and I have yet to encounter them.

    > Java API reference springs to mind....

    It's a great idea until you want to link to a specific class.

    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 11, 2004
  7. Krzysiek C

    Mitja Guest

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:37:23 -0500, Leif K-Brooks <>
    wrote:

    > Mitja wrote:
    >> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:26:19 -0500, Neal <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> It's recommended to NOT use frames on the WWW in general. Very few
    >>> exceptions exist, and I have yet to encounter them.

    >> Java API reference springs to mind....

    > It's a great idea until you want to link to a specific class.

    Or bookmark it. Been there :)
    But with all that data and consequently loading times I still think it's a
    tradeoff worth making.

    --
    Mitja

    Mitja, Dec 11, 2004
  8. Krzysiek C

    Mr Bean Guest

    Krzysiek C wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have problem. I don't know as creating centre frame. How Can I do this.
    >
    > I am sorry too mistakes but I am Polish.:)

    Napisz po polsku i podaj link.

    ;)

    Mr Bean, Dec 11, 2004
  9. In article <opsiu66tn7dob4us@localhost>, Mitja () dropped
    a +5 bundle of words...

    > On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:26:19 -0500, Neal <> wrote:
    >
    > > It's recommended to NOT use frames on the WWW in general. Very few
    > > exceptions exist, and I have yet to encounter them.

    > Java API reference springs to mind....

    You can choose a no-frames option for it.

    --
    Starshine Moonbeam
    mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

    Starshine Moonbeam, Dec 12, 2004
  10. Krzysiek C

    Mitja Guest

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 20:23:28 -0600, Starshine Moonbeam
    <> wrote:

    > In article <opsiu66tn7dob4us@localhost>, Mitja () dropped
    > a +5 bundle of words...
    >
    >> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:26:19 -0500, Neal <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > It's recommended to NOT use frames on the WWW in general. Very few
    >> > exceptions exist, and I have yet to encounter them.

    >> Java API reference springs to mind....

    > You can choose a no-frames option for it.

    True, but I consider the framed version much easier to use.

    --
    Mitja

    Mitja, Dec 12, 2004
  11. Krzysiek C

    Neal Guest

    Mitja:
    > True, but I consider the framed version much easier to use.

    The fact that a no-frames option is available is rather illustrative,
    however. One is better than the other based on your needs with the
    content, clearly. If you merely need a quick reference and never plan to
    bookmark any pages or use a search engine to locate the info contained
    within, then the frames are not terribly harmful after all.

    This, however, does not mean frames should be used in a typical web page
    where we want to allow bookmarking, and complete usability for search
    engine spiders and the users of the search engines. Framesets either
    complicate or ruin attempts to do otherwise commonplace things users want
    to do with web pages in general. Unless the user will not require these
    functionalities, frames are ill-advised.

    Neal, Dec 12, 2004
  12. Krzysiek C

    Mitja Guest

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 13:24:17 -0500, Neal <> wrote:

    > Mitja:
    >> True, but I consider the framed version much easier to use.

    > The fact that a no-frames option is available is rather illustrative,
    > however. One is better than the other based on your needs with the
    > content, clearly. If you merely need a quick reference and never plan to
    > bookmark any pages or use a search engine to locate the info contained
    > within, then the frames are not terribly harmful after all.
    >
    > This, however, does not mean frames should be used in a typical web page
    > [...]

    I never even hinted at that and do, of course, agree with you in that
    aspect. By pointing at the Java reference I merely wanted to show one of
    the few real-life examples where I beleive frames to be a good thing.

    --
    Mitja

    Mitja, Dec 12, 2004
  13. RE/
    >This, however, does not mean frames should be used in a typical web page
    >where we want to allow bookmarking, and complete usability for search
    >engine spiders and the users of the search engines. Framesets either
    >complicate or ruin attempts to do otherwise commonplace things users want
    >to do with web pages in general. Unless the user will not require these
    >functionalities, frames are ill-advised.

    Could somebody detail some of the user-type things that frames get in the way
    of?

    So far, it's sounding like frames actually help me with something I'm trying to
    put up that I specifically do *not* want bookmarked or indexed by search
    engines.

    But since I don't know much....that little bubble may go "poof" with whatever
    replies I get....
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Dec 12, 2004
  14. Krzysiek C

    rf Guest

    (Pete Cresswell)

    > Could somebody detail some of the user-type things that frames get in the

    way
    > of?

    The telephone.

    Try ringing up your girlfriend and telling her where you found an image of
    that great new something or other she wants.

    Frames:
    Go to example.com. Now click the widgits button. No, the one at the left,
    not the one at the top. Ok, now do you see a link to green widgits? You
    don't? Oh well, this other site has them:

    No frames:
    Go to example2.com/widgits/green.hmtl. Nice widgit eh? Yep, I'll buy one
    from them right now.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 12, 2004
  15. (Pete Cresswell) wrote:

    > So far, it's sounding like frames actually help me with something I'm
    > trying to put up that I specifically do *not* want bookmarked or indexed
    > by search engines.

    It prevents neither, it just makes attempting to use them annoying for
    users. In the case of bookmarking, the user will get something other then
    that which they expect when they try to return to the page. In the case of
    search engines, the user will get the content ... but without the
    surrounding documents (so menus in other frames will be lost).

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Dec 12, 2004
  16. Krzysiek C

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:

    > The telephone.
    >
    > Try ringing up your girlfriend

    So as long as I have no girlfriend frames are OK?

    --
    Mr. D?
    Never trust a cat to do a dog's job.

    Duende, Dec 12, 2004
  17. Krzysiek C

    Neal Guest

    On 12 Dec 2004 23:41:28 GMT, Duende <> wrote:

    > While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:
    >
    >> The telephone.
    >>
    >> Try ringing up your girlfriend

    > So as long as I have no girlfriend frames are OK?

    Unless your sexual persuasion demands otherwise, I recommend a girlfriend
    over frames any day.

    Neal, Dec 13, 2004
  18. Krzysiek C

    Neal Guest

    Mitja wrote:

    > I never even hinted at that and do, of course, agree with you in that
    > aspect.

    Understood. I felt it beared emphasis.

    Neal, Dec 13, 2004
  19. Krzysiek C

    jake Guest

    In message <ks3vd.70381$>, rf
    <rf@?.invalid> writes
    >(Pete Cresswell)
    >
    >> Could somebody detail some of the user-type things that frames get in the

    >way
    >> of?

    >The telephone.
    >
    >Try ringing up your girlfriend and telling her where you found an image of
    >that great new something or other she wants.
    >
    >Frames:
    >Go to example.com. Now click the widgits button. No, the one at the left,
    >not the one at the top. Ok, now do you see a link to green widgits? You
    >don't? Oh well, this other site has them:
    >
    >No frames:
    >Go to example2.com/widgits/green.hmtl. Nice widgit eh? Yep, I'll buy one
    >from them right now.

    Or:

    Frames:
    Go to example.com, then look at 'shoes' under 'latest fashions'.

    Non-Frames:
    Go to example.com/shoes_m23a_section/Fashions_July23_current.htm

    No. That's 'm_23a' .... no ... that's 'm' as in 'mother' ...
    23_asection/ .... oh, forget it ... this other site has them.

    It's always fun to chose the most extreme example to fit your case ...
    isn't it?

    regards.
    --
    Jake

    jake, Dec 13, 2004
  20. Krzysiek C

    jake Guest

    In message <opsiwxegdldob4us@localhost>, Mitja <> writes
    >On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 13:24:17 -0500, Neal <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mitja:
    >>> True, but I consider the framed version much easier to use.

    >> The fact that a no-frames option is available is rather illustrative,
    >>however. One is better than the other based on your needs with the
    >>content, clearly. If you merely need a quick reference and never plan
    >>to bookmark any pages or use a search engine to locate the info
    >>contained within, then the frames are not terribly harmful after all.
    >>
    >> This, however, does not mean frames should be used in a typical web
    >>page [...]

    >I never even hinted at that and do, of course, agree with you in that
    >aspect. By pointing at the Java reference I merely wanted to show one
    >of the few real-life examples where I beleive frames to be a good thing.

    In fact, you've locked on to one application where frames excel --
    quick, random access to the contents of a collection of documents.

    regards.

    --
    Jake

    jake, Dec 13, 2004