Frame

Krzysiek C

Hi

I have problem. I don't know as creating centre frame. How Can I do this.

I am sorry too mistakes but I am Polish.:)

Travis Newbury

I have problem. I don't know as creating centre frame. How Can I do this.

There are a million reasons to not use frames, and about 4 to use them.
I am guessing you are not one of the four.
I am sorry too mistakes but I am Polish.:)

It would just be too easy....

Neal

Hi

I have problem. I don't know as creating centre frame. How Can I do this.

It's recommended to NOT use frames on the WWW in general. Very few
exceptions exist, and I have yet to encounter them.
I am sorry too mistakes but I am Polish.:)

We need a URL address to a webpage where you have this problem. Can you
post one, please?

Jan Faerber

Krzysiek said:
Hi

I have problem. I don't know as creating centre frame. How Can I do this.

I am sorry too mistakes but I am Polish.:)

<frameset rows="20%,*,20%"> or same with cols.

Mitja

It's recommended to NOT use frames on the WWW in general. Very few
exceptions exist, and I have yet to encounter them.
Java API reference springs to mind....

Mitja

It's a great idea until you want to link to a specific class.
Or bookmark it. Been there :)
But with all that data and consequently loading times I still think it's a
tradeoff worth making.

Mr Bean

Krzysiek said:
Hi

I have problem. I don't know as creating centre frame. How Can I do this.

I am sorry too mistakes but I am Polish.:)

Napisz po polsku i podaj link.

;)

Neal

Mitja:
True, but I consider the framed version much easier to use.

The fact that a no-frames option is available is rather illustrative,
however. One is better than the other based on your needs with the
content, clearly. If you merely need a quick reference and never plan to
bookmark any pages or use a search engine to locate the info contained
within, then the frames are not terribly harmful after all.

This, however, does not mean frames should be used in a typical web page
where we want to allow bookmarking, and complete usability for search
engine spiders and the users of the search engines. Framesets either
complicate or ruin attempts to do otherwise commonplace things users want
to do with web pages in general. Unless the user will not require these
functionalities, frames are ill-advised.

Mitja

Mitja:
True, but I consider the framed version much easier to use.

The fact that a no-frames option is available is rather illustrative,
however. One is better than the other based on your needs with the
content, clearly. If you merely need a quick reference and never plan to
bookmark any pages or use a search engine to locate the info contained
within, then the frames are not terribly harmful after all.

This, however, does not mean frames should be used in a typical web page
[...]
I never even hinted at that and do, of course, agree with you in that
aspect. By pointing at the Java reference I merely wanted to show one of
the few real-life examples where I beleive frames to be a good thing.

(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
This, however, does not mean frames should be used in a typical web page
where we want to allow bookmarking, and complete usability for search
engine spiders and the users of the search engines. Framesets either
complicate or ruin attempts to do otherwise commonplace things users want
to do with web pages in general. Unless the user will not require these
functionalities, frames are ill-advised.

Could somebody detail some of the user-type things that frames get in the way
of?

So far, it's sounding like frames actually help me with something I'm trying to
put up that I specifically do *not* want bookmarked or indexed by search
engines.

But since I don't know much....that little bubble may go "poof" with whatever
replies I get....

rf

(Pete Cresswell)
Could somebody detail some of the user-type things that frames get in the way
of?

The telephone.

Try ringing up your girlfriend and telling her where you found an image of
that great new something or other she wants.

Frames:
Go to example.com. Now click the widgits button. No, the one at the left,
not the one at the top. Ok, now do you see a link to green widgits? You
don't? Oh well, this other site has them:

No frames:
Go to example2.com/widgits/green.hmtl. Nice widgit eh? Yep, I'll buy one
from them right now.

David Dorward

(Pete Cresswell) said:
So far, it's sounding like frames actually help me with something I'm
trying to put up that I specifically do *not* want bookmarked or indexed
by search engines.

It prevents neither, it just makes attempting to use them annoying for
users. In the case of bookmarking, the user will get something other then
that which they expect when they try to return to the page. In the case of
search engines, the user will get the content ... but without the
surrounding documents (so menus in other frames will be lost).

Neal

While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:

So as long as I have no girlfriend frames are OK?

Unless your sexual persuasion demands otherwise, I recommend a girlfriend
over frames any day.

jake

rf said:
(Pete Cresswell)

The telephone.

Try ringing up your girlfriend and telling her where you found an image of
that great new something or other she wants.

Frames:
Go to example.com. Now click the widgits button. No, the one at the left,
not the one at the top. Ok, now do you see a link to green widgits? You
don't? Oh well, this other site has them:

No frames:
Go to example2.com/widgits/green.hmtl. Nice widgit eh? Yep, I'll buy one
from them right now.

Or:

Frames:
Go to example.com, then look at 'shoes' under 'latest fashions'.

Non-Frames:
Go to example.com/shoes_m23a_section/Fashions_July23_current.htm

No. That's 'm_23a' .... no ... that's 'm' as in 'mother' ...
23_asection/ .... oh, forget it ... this other site has them.

It's always fun to chose the most extreme example to fit your case ...
isn't it?

regards.

jake

Mitja:
True, but I consider the framed version much easier to use.

The fact that a no-frames option is available is rather illustrative,
however. One is better than the other based on your needs with the
content, clearly. If you merely need a quick reference and never plan
to bookmark any pages or use a search engine to locate the info
contained within, then the frames are not terribly harmful after all.

This, however, does not mean frames should be used in a typical web
page [...]
I never even hinted at that and do, of course, agree with you in that
aspect. By pointing at the Java reference I merely wanted to show one
of the few real-life examples where I beleive frames to be a good thing.
In fact, you've locked on to one application where frames excel --
quick, random access to the contents of a collection of documents.

regards.