frames alternative for refreshing only part of page?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jules, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. Jules

    Jules Guest

    I haven't done any serious HTML coding for a few years, so am a little
    behind... :)

    I've put together some php code for displaying a Windows Explorer-like
    tree control within a web browser; what I want to do is have the tree
    displayed in a left-hand panel and for content to come up in the right
    hand panel when an item within the tree is clicked on.

    Obviously I don't want to have to refresh the tree every time I load new
    content in the right-hand content display panel, as that's just wasteful.

    It's the sort of thing that frames would lend themselves to; two frames
    and the links for items in the tree control have a target of the right
    hand frame.

    Out of interest though, what are the alternatives that don't use frames,
    but also don't require a total page refresh when something is clicked on?
    (preferably with pointers to examples! :)

    Due to the nature of the tree code I'm using, target browsers are a
    minimum of Netscape 6, Opera 6, IE4, and presumably Firefox (although I
    haven't tried my tree code in this yet). Doubtless plenty of others too,
    and of course newer browser releases should work.

    cheers,

    Jules

    Jules, Sep 6, 2004

  2. Jules

    Karl Groves Guest

    "Jules" <> wrote in message

    > I haven't done any serious HTML coding for a few years, so am a little
    > behind... :)

    You're also a little behind in netiquette.
    This question is asked at least once a week.
    Please respect the regular posters of the group by having the courtesy of
    searching the group's archives before asking for help.

    -Karl

    Karl Groves, Sep 6, 2004

  3. Jules

    Jules Guest

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:21:27 -0400, Karl Groves wrote:

    > "Jules" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I haven't done any serious HTML coding for a few years, so am a little
    >> behind... :)
    >>

    > You're also a little behind in netiquette.
    > This question is asked at least once a week.
    > Please respect the regular posters of the group by having the courtesy of
    > searching the group's archives before asking for help.

    Already did that before posting. But having waded through hundreds of
    posts on the topic of frames in general and not found a useful answer to
    what I'm specifically trying to do, I thought I'd ask the advice of the
    (far more knowledgable) readers of the group, figuring that someone
    would be polite enough to give a good reply.

    Sorry for your waste of bandwidth in feeling the need to reply to my waste
    of bandwidth :)

    seeya

    Jules

    Jules, Sep 6, 2004
  4. Jules

    Sam Hughes Guest

    Jules <> wrote in

    > Out of interest though, what are the alternatives that don't use
    > frames, but also don't require a total page refresh when something is
    > clicked on? (preferably with pointers to examples! :)

    Magic. Or, an external javascript could write the entire tree (but this is
    a stupid idea -- hopefully your page will be usable with javascript turned
    off).

    You could also use frames, but they have megagrams of issues.

    Compared to the size of any images that turn up on your site, reloading the
    text probably won't be the main problem when it comes to bandwidth.

    Sam Hughes, Sep 6, 2004
  5. Jules

    Isofarro Guest

    Jules wrote:

    > I've put together some php code for displaying a Windows Explorer-like
    > tree control within a web browser; what I want to do is have the tree
    > displayed in a left-hand panel and for content to come up in the right
    > hand panel when an item within the tree is clicked on.

    A tree ==> nested list ==> typical left hand menu of a website.

    > Obviously I don't want to have to refresh the tree every time I load new
    > content in the right-hand content display panel, as that's just wasteful.

    Its probably wasteful if you are listing a couple of hundred items in the
    left hand menu. But then that's also not good HCI.

    --
    Isofarro.
    FAQ: http://www.html-faq.com/

    Isofarro, Sep 6, 2004
  6. Jules

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Jules wrote:

    > Out of interest though, what are the alternatives that don't use frames,
    > but also don't require a total page refresh when something is clicked on?
    > (preferably with pointers to examples! :)

    <iframe> and <object> would do the job, though neither are supported as
    widely as frames.

    Client-side scripting (lots of document.writes) will probably do what you
    need as well. But abandon all hope ye who pass through those particular
    gates!

    If the directory tree isn't very big, then just keep everything on the
    same page and forget about it. If it's more than a few KB though, go with
    frames -- they are probably the best solution for what you're doing. (Even
    though they are *evil* in general!)

    I am part-way through writing a guide on implementing non-evil frames.
    Some of the information there may be relevant to you, other bits less so.
    It's here, but I might move it later (I'll do a redirect though).
    http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/frames/frameset.php?page=problems
    Keep checking back, as I am adding bits. That might help you make your
    frames only quasi-evil.

    > Due to the nature of the tree code I'm using, target browsers are a
    > minimum of Netscape 6, Opera 6, IE4, and presumably Firefox (although I
    > haven't tried my tree code in this yet). Doubtless plenty of others too,
    > and of course newer browser releases should work.

    I bet you could target Opera 3.6, Safari and Konqueror 3.x for only a tiny
    bit more effort. And it will make you feel a whole lot better!

    Useful tip: in Opera 7.x, you can go to "Preferences" -> "Page Style" and
    entirely disable frames support. This is a great way of testing your
    framed pages in a non-frames browser and making sure that you've provided
    some good alternative <noframes> stuff.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./bruce_springsteen/gratest_hits/09_my_hometown.ogg

    Toby Inkster, Sep 6, 2004
  7. Jules

    Jules Guest

    thanks for the replies all - that should give me enough to go on :)

    cheers!

    Jules

    Jules, Sep 6, 2004
  8. Jules wrote:

    > I haven't done any serious HTML coding for a few years, so am a little
    > behind... :)
    >
    > I've put together some php code for displaying a Windows Explorer-like
    > tree control within a web browser; what I want to do is have the tree
    > displayed in a left-hand panel and for content to come up in the right
    > hand panel when an item within the tree is clicked on.

    Have a look at the recent 'click on thumbnail' thread and Toby Inkster's
    'butterflies' or 'numbers' pages.

    --
    Robert
    http://brightonfixedodds.net