Frames and borders around specific frames

Discussion in 'HTML' started by meyousikmann@yahoo.com, Feb 9, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Let's say I have a 3 frame layout. A top frame that spans the width of
    the page (this is a header frame) then two column frames below the
    header frame (left is a navigation pane and right is a content frame).
    Quick code snippet that may explain what I am doing:

    <frameset rows="10%,*">
    <frame src="header.aspx">
    <frameset cols="30%,*">
    <frame src="navigation.aspx">
    <frame src="content.aspx">
    </frameset>
    </frameset>

    What I want is no horizontal border on the bottom of the header frame
    and only the vertical border between the navigation and content frame.
    I will attempt to display what I am looking for but I don't know if it
    will come out looking properly here.........

    | header |
    | |
    | | |
    | | |
    | | |
    | navigation | content |
    | | |
    | | |
    | | |

    Now, I know about all of the frame attributes such as frameborder,
    noresize, marginwidth, etc... but I can't get the affect I am looking
    for with those simple attributes. It is easy enough to remove the
    border around the top frame, but that still leaves the border around
    the navigation and content frames, which includes the top portion of
    both of those frames, effectively putting the horizontal border between
    the header and the other two frames that I am looking to remove. Any
    suggestions on how I might accomplish this? Oh, and I know I can
    achieve a frameless implementation using CSS instead, but that
    implementation does not allow the user to resize the navigation and
    content areas (or I haven't been able to accomplish that task using
    CSS) by grabbing the border between the two and dragging it. I need
    the user to be able to move the border between the navigation and
    content frames to resize them.

    TIA.

    , Feb 9, 2006

  2. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "" <> wrote:

    > Let's say I have a 3 frame layout. A top frame that spans the width of
    > the page (this is a header frame) then two column frames below the
    > header frame (left is a navigation pane and right is a content frame).
    > Quick code snippet that may explain what I am doing:
    >
    > <frameset rows="10%,*">
    > <frame src="header.aspx">
    > <frameset cols="30%,*">
    > <frame src="navigation.aspx">
    > <frame src="content.aspx">
    > </frameset>
    > </frameset>
    >
    > What I want is no horizontal border on the bottom of the header frame
    > and only the vertical border between the navigation and content frame.

    Have no frame borders at all. And be careful not to have such
    different colours to the bg of the frames that you get what you
    don't want anyway, no real border notwithstanding.

    You then can have a wrapper div in each of your two non-header
    frames (left and right). The divs must expand to fill the whole
    frame, at least the left frame must have a div that has no right
    margin; the right frame must (if using this border to mark the
    point for mouse insertion for border change - a sort of cheat
    but be a devil) have a div with no left margin. You can specify a
    right border for the left frame or a left border for the right
    frame. Or indeed both (but check the look). You know how to do
    this?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Feb 10, 2006