frames and forms

Discussion in 'HTML' started by middletree, Sep 28, 2005.

  1. middletree

    middletree Guest

    Working with frames for the first time, I have found that when I put a
    little form in the left frame, and then use it, it causes the regular
    hyperlinks in that frame to forget to open up in the right frame.

    Here's the steps:

    1. Click any link in the menu on the left frame. The links are regular <a
    href-type hyperlinks. They are set to target="rightframe" which is the
    name of the right frame. It works fine.

    2. Just above the nav menu, there's a little form with just a text box and
    submit button. Type the criteria into the textbox, then hit the submit
    button. It causes the right frame to display the desired page with desired
    information. It does not reload the left frame.

    3. Now, click any link on that left frame's menu. For an apples to apples
    comparison, click the same link that was clicked in Step 1. It brings the
    correct page, but in a new browser, which also happens to be missing the
    left frame.

    Is there any known issue with forms and frames that I am not aware of?

    For the record, this is in IE only, as it's Intranet and 100% of users are
    on IE.
    Also, because it's Intranet, I cannot show it to you.
    middletree, Sep 28, 2005

  2. middletree

    Guest

    middletree wrote:
    > Working with frames for the first time, I have found that when I put a
    > little form in the left frame, and then use it, it causes the regular
    > hyperlinks in that frame to forget to open up in the right frame.
    >
    > Here's the steps:
    >
    > 1. Click any link in the menu on the left frame. The links are regular <a
    > href-type hyperlinks. They are set to target="rightframe" which is the
    > name of the right frame. It works fine.
    >
    > 2. Just above the nav menu, there's a little form with just a text box and
    > submit button. Type the criteria into the textbox, then hit the submit
    > button. It causes the right frame to display the desired page with desired
    > information. It does not reload the left frame.
    >
    > 3. Now, click any link on that left frame's menu. For an apples to apples
    > comparison, click the same link that was clicked in Step 1. It brings the
    > correct page, but in a new browser, which also happens to be missing the
    > left frame.
    >
    > Is there any known issue with forms and frames that I am not aware of?
    >
    > For the record, this is in IE only, as it's Intranet and 100% of users are
    > on IE.
    > Also, because it's Intranet, I cannot show it to you.

    Can you not strip your code down to the bare minimum and post it online
    somewhere. Odds are it's a fault in your code that you're too close to
    see, but without seeing it...

    --
    Hywel
    , Sep 29, 2005