    problem is how do I handle the left index column so that I do not have
    to code it in every page?

    I would appreciate seeing the code of a simple page that does this.
    Cogito, Aug 2, 2004

  2. Cogito

    Sam Hughes Guest

    Cogito <> wrote in
    news::

    > Ok, that was just to get your attention :)

    Thanks for the cardio workout :)

    > A short while ago I started a thread about converting a Web frame
    > design into non-frame. It wasn't long before the thread digressed into
    > some esoteric discussion that was of no help in my efforts to
    > understand how to go about it.
    >
    > So here it is again. I have a web page that consists of a frame with
    > two columns. There is an index column on the left and contents on the
    > right. I would like to convert it to a non-frame page. Obviously my
    > problem is how do I handle the left index column so that I do not have
    > to code it in every page?
    >
    > I would appreciate seeing the code of a simple page that does this.

    This cannot be done with just HTML. You can use preprocessing or server-
    side processing, such as with SSI or PHP.

    <http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another>
    Sam Hughes, Aug 2, 2004

  3. Cogito

    rf Guest

    Cogito wrote:

    > Ok, that was just to get your attention :)

    Looks like a troll to me :)

    > A short while ago I started a thread about converting a Web frame
    > design into non-frame.

    And the very first answer you received then still applies

    http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

    > I would appreciate seeing the code of a simple page that does this.

    The page above either contains or as links to examples. It is now up to you
    to try one of the examples and ask again when you can't get it to work.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Aug 2, 2004
  4. Cogito

    Arondelle Guest

    rf wrote:

    > And the very first answer you received then still applies
    >
    > http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another
    >
    >>I would appreciate seeing the code of a simple page that does this.

    > The page above either contains or as links to examples. It is now up to you
    > to try one of the examples and ask again when you can't get it to work.

    But, what if his host doesn't support php, ssi, or any of the fancy
    stuff, eh? The above advice was no good for me -- I had to find an easy
    way to preprocess my pages.

    Arondelle
    To email me, empty the pond with a net
    Arondelle, Aug 2, 2004
  5. Cogito

    Karl Groves Guest

    "Arondelle" <> wrote in message
    > rf wrote:
    >
    > > And the very first answer you received then still applies
    > >
    > > http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another
    > >
    > >>I would appreciate seeing the code of a simple page that does this.

    > > The page above either contains or as links to examples. It is now up to

    you
    > > to try one of the examples and ask again when you can't get it to work.

    > But, what if his host doesn't support php, ssi, or any of the fancy
    > stuff, eh?

    Good hosting is so cheap that you're doing yourself a disservice by putting
    up with a host that doesn't support stuff like PHP, SSI, etc.

    -Karl
    Karl Groves, Aug 2, 2004
  6. Cogito

    rf Guest

    Arondelle
    > rf wrote:
    >
    > > And the very first answer you received then still applies
    > >
    > > http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another
    > >
    > >>I would appreciate seeing the code of a simple page that does this.

    > > The page above either contains or as links to examples. It is now up to

    you
    > > to try one of the examples and ask again when you can't get it to work.

    > But, what if his host doesn't support php, ssi, or any of the fancy
    > stuff, eh? The above advice was no good for me

    Then you obviously missed the very first solution on that page, the bit that
    mentions HTML preprocessing. There is even a link to the alt.html FAQ where
    six of them are mentioned.

    Having chosen one it's simply a matter of RTFM.

    > -- I had to find an easy
    > way to preprocess my pages.

    DId you find a way? Perhaps you can supply the code the OP seems to require
    :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Aug 2, 2004
  7. Cogito

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:>
    Cogito <> said:

    > Ok, that was just to get your attention :)

    attention this arsehole:

    /"\
    |\./|
    | |
    | |
    |>~<|
    | |
    /'\| |/'\..
    /~\| | | | \
    | =[@]= | | \
    | ~ ~ ~ ~ |` )
    | /
    \ /
    \ /
    \ _____ /
    |--//''`\--|
    | (( +==)) |
    |--\_|_//--|

    --
    i h e a r v o i c e s
    brucie, Aug 2, 2004
  8. Cogito

    rf Guest

    brucie wrote

    > /"\
    > |\./|
    > | |
    > | |
    > |>~<|
    > | |
    > /'\| |/'\..
    > /~\| | | | \
    > | =[@]= | | \
    > | ~ ~ ~ ~ |` )
    > | /
    > \ /
    > \ /
    > \ _____ /
    > |--//''`\--|
    > | (( +==)) |
    > |--\_|_//--|

    Nice watch :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Aug 2, 2004
  9. Cogito

    Arondelle Guest

    rf wrote:

    > DId you find a way? Perhaps you can supply the code the OP seems to require

    In fact, I did. I downloaded HTML-Kit and a plugin (includeHTML) for it
    that inserts a text file into your HTML anywhere you want it. I placed
    my menu in an external file and then plugged it into a couple dozen
    pages. Of course, when I go to update the menu, I'll have to go through
    all the pages again, but at least I won't have to re-invent the damned
    wheel.

    Arondelle, Aug 2, 2004
  10. Cogito

    Dave Patton Guest

    Cogito <> wrote in

    > Ok, that was just to get your attention :)

    A stupid thing to do.
    What about those people who know the answer,
    and decided not to get you attention, by not
    posting an answer? What about people reading the
    subject, who know the answer, and wo don't
    open your posting, due to the subject.

    > I have a web page that consists of a frame with two columns.
    > There is an index column on the left and contents on the
    > right. I would like to convert it to a non-frame page.

    Forget about how it looks how.
    Take the content, and rewrite it in HTML that is valid,
    and correct. Then you can use CSS for the presentation.

    --
    Dave Patton
    http://www.confluence.org/
    Dave Patton, Aug 2, 2004
  11. Cogito

    rf Guest

    Arondelle wrote:
    > rf wrote:
    >
    > > DId you find a way? Perhaps you can supply the code the OP seems to

    require

    > In fact, I did. I downloaded HTML-Kit and a plugin (includeHTML) for it

    Many here recomment HTML-Kit, though I have never looked at it. Host
    provides scripting and the editor I usually use is .NET framework.

    > Of course, when I go to update the menu, I'll have to go through
    > all the pages again,

    Hmmm. Sounds like a perfect case for a little bit of batch processing.
    HTML-kit won't do this for you?

    <looks/> http://www.chami.com/html-kit/changelog/pages/hk_build292.html a
    couple of pages down they talk about "batch action" tab. Perhaps they are
    getting ready to do it.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Aug 2, 2004
  12. Cogito

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 03:41:55 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> declared in alt.html:

    > http://www.chami.com/html-kit/changelog/pages/hk_build292.html a
    > couple of pages down they talk about "batch action" tab. Perhaps they are
    > getting ready to do it.

    Ha! I use HTML-Kit, but the last time it was updated was 2002,
    (according to the copyright information in the program). There's nothing
    on the site saying it is no longer under development, but after 2 years
    you've got to wonder...

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Aug 2, 2004
  13. Cogito

    Arondelle Guest

    rf wrote:
    > Hmmm. Sounds like a perfect case for a little bit of batch processing.
    > HTML-kit won't do this for you?
    >
    > <looks/> http://www.chami.com/html-kit/changelog/pages/hk_build292.html a
    > couple of pages down they talk about "batch action" tab. Perhaps they are
    > getting ready to do it.

    Allegedly, includeHTML (which is not written by Chami, BTW) is supposed
    to batch process, and, in fact, did -- once. I couldn't get it to do so
    the second time I tried it. Maybe I changed a option I shouldn't have.

    In my case, it's no big deal, since I'll only have to up date the menu
    on an infrequent basis, but it could be annoying to the contant updater.

    Arondelle, Aug 2, 2004
  14. Cogito

    rf Guest

    Mark Parnell
    > On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 03:41:55 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> declared in alt.html:
    >
    > > http://www.chami.com/html-kit/changelog/pages/hk_build292.html a
    > > couple of pages down they talk about "batch action" tab. Perhaps they

    are
    > > getting ready to do it.

    > Ha! I use HTML-Kit, but the last time it was updated was 2002,
    > (according to the copyright information in the program). There's nothing
    > on the site saying it is no longer under development, but after 2 years
    > you've got to wonder...

    Oops. Missed the date on that page. Might long beta period :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Aug 2, 2004
  15. Cogito

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:7KiPc.28310$>
    rf <rf@.invalid> said:

    > Many here recomment HTML-Kit,

    not me!

    > though I have never looked at it.

    it appears to be trying to be all things to all people. very over
    bloated and slow to start.

    --
    i h e a r v o i c e s
    brucie, Aug 2, 2004
  16. Cogito

    Cogito Guest

    On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 02:43:12 GMT, Dave Patton <>
    wrote:

    >Forget about how it looks how.
    >Take the content, and rewrite it in HTML that is valid,
    >and correct. Then you can use CSS for the presentation.

    Gee, why didn't I think of it?
    This is exactly what I'm asking help in.
    Cogito, Aug 2, 2004
  17. Cogito

    Cogito Guest

    On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 01:47:49 GMT, Arondelle <>
    wrote:

    >But, what if his host doesn't support php, ssi, or any of the fancy
    >stuff, eh? The above advice was no good for me -- I had to find an easy
    >way to preprocess my pages.

    Please tell me what you found.
    Cogito, Aug 2, 2004
  18. Cogito

    Cogito Guest

    On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 12:17:40 +1000, brucie <>
    wrote:

    >attention this arsehole:
    >
    > /"\
    > |\./|
    > | |
    > | |
    > |>~<|
    > | |
    > /'\| |/'\..
    > /~\| | | | \
    > | =[@]= | | \
    > | ~ ~ ~ ~ |` )
    > | /
    > \ /
    > \ /
    > \ _____ /
    > |--//''`\--|
    > | (( +==)) |
    > |--\_|_//--|
    >

    >--
    >i h e a r v o i c e s

    Do HTML expert have no sense of humour?
    Cogito, Aug 2, 2004
  19. Cogito

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:>
    Cogito <> said:

    >> /"\
    >> |\./|
    >> /'\| |/'\..
    >> /~\| | | | \

    > Do HTML expert have no sense of humour?

    that is my sense of humor but i'm not an expert

    --
    i h e a r v o i c e s
    brucie, Aug 2, 2004
  20. Cogito

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Arondelle wrote:

    > rf wrote:
    >
    >> And the very first answer you received then still applies
    >>
    >> http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another
    >>
    >>> I would appreciate seeing the code of a simple page that does this.

    >> The page above either contains or as links to examples. It is now up
    >> to you
    >> to try one of the examples and ask again when you can't get it to work.

    > But, what if his host doesn't support php, ssi, or any of the fancy
    > stuff, eh? The above advice was no good for me -- I had to find an easy
    > way to preprocess my pages.
    >
    > Arondelle

    get a new host for god sake.

    --