Frames are Wonderful

Cogito

Ok, that was just to get your attention :)

A short while ago I started a thread about converting a Web frame
design into non-frame. It wasn't long before the thread digressed into
some esoteric discussion that was of no help in my efforts to
understand how to go about it.

So here it is again. I have a web page that consists of a frame with
two columns. There is an index column on the left and contents on the
right. I would like to convert it to a non-frame page. Obviously my
problem is how do I handle the left index column so that I do not have
to code it in every page?

I would appreciate seeing the code of a simple page that does this.

Sam Hughes

Ok, that was just to get your attention :)

Thanks for the cardio workout :)
A short while ago I started a thread about converting a Web frame
design into non-frame. It wasn't long before the thread digressed into
some esoteric discussion that was of no help in my efforts to
understand how to go about it.

So here it is again. I have a web page that consists of a frame with
two columns. There is an index column on the left and contents on the
right. I would like to convert it to a non-frame page. Obviously my
problem is how do I handle the left index column so that I do not have
to code it in every page?

I would appreciate seeing the code of a simple page that does this.

This cannot be done with just HTML. You can use preprocessing or server-
side processing, such as with SSI or PHP.

<http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another>

rf

Cogito said:
Ok, that was just to get your attention :)

Looks like a troll to me :)
A short while ago I started a thread about converting a Web frame
design into non-frame.

And the very first answer you received then still applies

http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another
I would appreciate seeing the code of a simple page that does this.

The page above either contains or as links to examples. It is now up to you
to try one of the examples and ask again when you can't get it to work.

Arondelle

rf said:
And the very first answer you received then still applies

http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another
The page above either contains or as links to examples. It is now up to you
to try one of the examples and ask again when you can't get it to work.

But, what if his host doesn't support php, ssi, or any of the fancy
stuff, eh? The above advice was no good for me -- I had to find an easy
way to preprocess my pages.

Arondelle

Karl Groves

Arondelle said:
But, what if his host doesn't support php, ssi, or any of the fancy
stuff, eh?

Good hosting is so cheap that you're doing yourself a disservice by putting
up with a host that doesn't support stuff like PHP, SSI, etc.

-Karl

rf

Arondelle
But, what if his host doesn't support php, ssi, or any of the fancy
stuff, eh? The above advice was no good for me

Then you obviously missed the very first solution on that page, the bit that
mentions HTML preprocessing. There is even a link to the alt.html FAQ where
six of them are mentioned.

Having chosen one it's simply a matter of RTFM.
-- I had to find an easy
way to preprocess my pages.

DId you find a way? Perhaps you can supply the code the OP seems to require
:)

brucie

in post: <
Cogito said:
Ok, that was just to get your attention :)

attention this arsehole:

/"\
|\./|
| |
| |
|>~<|
| |
/'\| |/'\..
/~\| | | | \
| =[@]= | | \
| ~ ~ ~ ~ |` )
| /
\ /
\ /
\ _____ /
|--//''`\--|
| (( +==)) |
|--\_|_//--|

rf

brucie wrote
/"\
|\./|
| |
| |
|>~<|
| |
/'\| |/'\..
/~\| | | | \
| =[@]= | | \
| ~ ~ ~ ~ |` )
| /
\ /
\ /
\ _____ /
|--//''`\--|
| (( +==)) |
|--\_|_//--|

Nice watch :)

Arondelle

rf said:
DId you find a way? Perhaps you can supply the code the OP seems to require

In fact, I did. I downloaded HTML-Kit and a plugin (includeHTML) for it
that inserts a text file into your HTML anywhere you want it. I placed
my menu in an external file and then plugged it into a couple dozen
pages. Of course, when I go to update the menu, I'll have to go through
all the pages again, but at least I won't have to re-invent the damned
wheel.

Arondelle

Dave Patton

Ok, that was just to get your attention :)

A stupid thing to do.
What about those people who know the answer,
and decided not to get you attention, by not
posting an answer? What about people reading the
subject, who know the answer, and wo don't
open your posting, due to the subject.
I have a web page that consists of a frame with two columns.
There is an index column on the left and contents on the
right. I would like to convert it to a non-frame page.

Forget about how it looks how.
Take the content, and rewrite it in HTML that is valid,
and correct. Then you can use CSS for the presentation.

rf

Arondelle said:
require

In fact, I did. I downloaded HTML-Kit and a plugin (includeHTML) for it

Many here recomment HTML-Kit, though I have never looked at it. Host
provides scripting and the editor I usually use is .NET framework.
Of course, when I go to update the menu, I'll have to go through
all the pages again,

Hmmm. Sounds like a perfect case for a little bit of batch processing.
HTML-kit won't do this for you?

<looks/> http://www.chami.com/html-kit/changelog/pages/hk_build292.html a
couple of pages down they talk about "batch action" tab. Perhaps they are
getting ready to do it.

Arondelle

rf said:
Hmmm. Sounds like a perfect case for a little bit of batch processing.
HTML-kit won't do this for you?

<looks/> http://www.chami.com/html-kit/changelog/pages/hk_build292.html a
couple of pages down they talk about "batch action" tab. Perhaps they are
getting ready to do it.

Allegedly, includeHTML (which is not written by Chami, BTW) is supposed
to batch process, and, in fact, did -- once. I couldn't get it to do so
the second time I tried it. Maybe I changed a option I shouldn't have.

In my case, it's no big deal, since I'll only have to up date the menu
on an infrequent basis, but it could be annoying to the contant updater.

Arondelle

rf

Mark Parnell
Ha! I use HTML-Kit, but the last time it was updated was 2002,
(according to the copyright information in the program). There's nothing
on the site saying it is no longer under development, but after 2 years
you've got to wonder...

Oops. Missed the date on that page. Might long beta period :)

Cogito

Forget about how it looks how.
Take the content, and rewrite it in HTML that is valid,
and correct. Then you can use CSS for the presentation.

Gee, why didn't I think of it?
This is exactly what I'm asking help in.

Cogito

But, what if his host doesn't support php, ssi, or any of the fancy
stuff, eh? The above advice was no good for me -- I had to find an easy
way to preprocess my pages.

Please tell me what you found.

Cogito

attention this arsehole:

/"\
|\./|
| |
| |
|>~<|
| |
/'\| |/'\..
/~\| | | | \
| =[@]= | | \
| ~ ~ ~ ~ |` )
| /
\ /
\ /
\ _____ /
|--//''`\--|
| (( +==)) |
|--\_|_//--|

Do HTML expert have no sense of humour?

SpaceGirl

Arondelle said:
But, what if his host doesn't support php, ssi, or any of the fancy
stuff, eh? The above advice was no good for me -- I had to find an easy
way to preprocess my pages.

Arondelle

get a new host for god sake.

--