Frames are Wonderful

SpaceGirl

Arondelle said:
SpaceGirl wrote:
If I had unlimited resources, I'd fire up my own server upon which I
could do whatever I want. Nice dreams....

Arondelle

It would be very hard to do any of the above. Practically impossible to
trash a machine via SSI... but I know what you mean.

Anyway, I'll mail you off list later.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

Karl said:
I was unemployed for 18 months starting in January 2002. I remember going to
job interviews and then getting my call saying "We're sorry, but you're
overqualified for this job" and I'd be like "WHAT THE ****?!?! I have bills
to pay, rent overdue, my car's about to be repossessed and you're gonna turn
me down because I'm over-fucking-qualified?!?"

-Karl

The problem is, they know if a better job elsewhere comes along that you
ARE qualified for, you'd be off in a shot. Low paid jobs for overskilled
staff doesn't breed much loyalty.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

Ash said:
First of all, I'm assuming that you index is in the form of a table. If
it isn't, amke it one, it looks nicer :) Second, turn your table into a
list of JavaScript commands, like so:

document.write("</table class='myclass'>");
document.write("</table>");

Then, place the above code into a /js file. Then, wherever you want a
table, just put:
<script type="JavaScript" src="table.js"></script>
Or something along those lines.

You can do this for links at the bottom of pages, too. And the cool part
is that you only have to modify one file in order to chage the look of
all the tables(kind of like CSS).

hmmmm well, your type="Javascript" (should be type="text/javascript") is
wrong, and the markup that your JS writes to is incorrect. Care to try
again, or you want to post this reply a few more times first?

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

PeterMcC

Cogito wrote in
Ok, that was just to get your attention :)

A short while ago I started a thread about converting a Web frame
design into non-frame. It wasn't long before the thread digressed into
some esoteric discussion that was of no help in my efforts to
understand how to go about it.

So here it is again. I have a web page that consists of a frame with
two columns. There is an index column on the left and contents on the
right. I would like to convert it to a non-frame page. Obviously my
problem is how do I handle the left index column so that I do not have
to code it in every page?

I would appreciate seeing the code of a simple page that does this.

SSI - and no, you can't see a page that uses it, or you can but you can't
see that it's been used because it's done at the server and looks just like
any other page. In fact it probably is any other page.

Ash

SpaceGirl said:
hmmmm well, your type="Javascript" (should be type="text/javascript") is
wrong, and the markup that your JS writes to is incorrect. Care to try
again, or you want to post this reply a few more times first?

See, I was under the mistaken impression that I actually cared what you
think. Oh, and when you rply to apost, it _is_ best to actually reply to
*that* post, dumbass.

SpaceGirl

Ash said:
See, I was under the mistaken impression that I actually cared what you
think. Oh, and when you rply to apost, it _is_ best to actually reply to
*that* post, dumbass.

Hey, when you stop posting shit, I'll stop giving you shit *kiss* now go
learn your HTML like a good boy.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Ash

SpaceGirl said:
Hey, when you stop posting shit, I'll stop giving you shit *kiss* now go
learn your HTML like a good boy.
Dear lord, it's amazing! the SpaceCase actually learned to use a
newsreader! Way to go! You deserve a gold star!

BTW, I actually have been to busy doing C++ to care much about HTML and
haven't done it in over a month. I only troll around here nowadays to
make fun at idiots like you!

SpaceGirl

Ash said:
Dear lord, it's amazing! the SpaceCase actually learned to use a
newsreader! Way to go! You deserve a gold star!

BTW, I actually have been to busy doing C++ to care much about HTML and
haven't done it in over a month. I only troll around here nowadays to
make fun at idiots like you!

And you thought you'd share your lack of knowledge with the n00bs.
Awwwwww, cute :)

Ummm and the only one who looks and idiot in this is....? You can keep
your gold star honeypie. You might need to pawn it when you realise
you're too clueless to hold down a job.

;-)

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Toby Inkster

Eric said:

It's only informative, but:

| B.3.3 SGML features with limited support
|
| SGML systems conforming to [ISO8879] are expected to recognize a number
| of features that aren't widely supported by HTML user agents. We
| recommend that authors avoid using all of these features.
[...]
| B.3.5 Marked Sections
|
| Marked sections play a role similar to the #ifdef construct recognized
| by C preprocessors.
|
| <![INCLUDE[
| <!-- this will be included -->
| ]]>
|
| <![IGNORE[
| <!-- this will be ignored -->
| ]]>

<URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/appendix/notes.html#sgmlfeatures>

Ash

SpaceGirl said:
And you thought you'd share your lack of knowledge with the n00bs.
Awwwwww, cute :)

Ummm and the only one who looks and idiot in this is....? You can keep
your gold star honeypie. You might need to pawn it when you realise
you're too clueless to hold down a job.

;-)

Talk about clueless . . .

Toby Inkster

Ash said:
BTW, I actually have been to busy doing C++ to care much about HTML and
haven't done it in over a month.

So you confess that your HTML skills are very rusty, but still seem to
believe your HTML advice superior to Miranda's?

Sam Hughes

Cogito said:
[... snipped two paragraphs of "How do I include one file into
another?"
First of all, I'm assuming that you index is in the form of a table. If
it isn't, amke it one, it looks nicer :)

:(

If it's not a table, it shouldn't be marked up as a table. And it can be
made even NICER in a non-table form.
Second, turn your table into a
list of JavaScript commands, like so:

document.write("</table class='myclass'>");
document.write("</table>");

Then, place the above code into a /js file. Then, wherever you want a
table, just put:
<script type="JavaScript" src="table.js"></script>
Or something along those lines.

However, about one out of twenty visitors have javascript disabled, which
is a lot. Also, it is a lazy solution; preprocessing takes hardly an
extra smidget of work and it is a much better and far more elegant
solution.

Sam Hughes

W3C's SP front-end even explicitly says so. Who am I to doubt that?

:->

Heh.

But HTML is the language that is defined in the document type definition,
and more importantly, the specification itself. Just because you have
some SGMLism that makes a document parse with the validator does not mean
that it's HTML. :)

But ignore me. Because I am ignoring myself. Let us join together in
mass worship of the all-knowing validator!

Ash

Toby said:
Ash wrote:

So you confess that your HTML skills are very rusty, but still seem to
believe your HTML advice superior to Miranda's?
I never once said I was better at HTML than anyone. I saw a thread. I
did my best to help someone, and nowI being flamed. STFU you loser.