    But if they make pages without javascript, they would not need to
    bother, how to access other frame's content, would they? :)

    kaaposc
    kaaposc, Jun 18, 2007

  2. kaaposc

    -Lost Guest

    kaaposc wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > This is not question, I was just wondering, why people continue using
    > frames and iframes when we have handy AJAX approach to fill needed divs
    > with content. Is it because of some user's paranoia about javascript?
    > But if they make pages without javascript, they would not need to
    > bother, how to access other frame's content, would they? :)

    I imagine because there are still browsers that exist that don't
    properly support XMLHttpRequests. Bear in mind IFRAMEs were being used
    long before XHRs.

    Not to mention, new information never propagates as fast as we would like.

    --
    -Lost
    kidding. No I am not.
    -Lost, Jun 18, 2007

  3. kaaposc

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <f560m6$8b7$>,
    kaaposc <> wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > This is not question, I was just wondering, why people continue using
    > frames and iframes when we have handy AJAX approach to fill needed divs
    > with content. Is it because of some user's paranoia about javascript?
    > But if they make pages without javascript, they would not need to
    > bother, how to access other frame's content, would they? :)

    Having loaded the page, I then reload contents of iframes based on some
    user selections. Can I do this with AJAX any easier than I do it now?
    Tim Streater, Jun 18, 2007
  4. kaaposc

    Moyzes Guest

    We have the web searches indexing problem too. If the page open in a
    iframe or frame, the search bots open it and index it. On XHR nothing
    happens. The bot pass throw the page and don't fire the javascript
    functions, so the content will never indexed. I had to rewrite an
    entire website because of this. So XHR its good for web applications,
    that don't need indexing.
    Moyzes, Jun 18, 2007
  5. kaaposc

    kaaposc Guest

    kaaposc, Jun 19, 2007
  6. kaaposc

    dd Guest

    On Jun 19, 9:02 am, kaaposc <> wrote:
    > hmm.. interesting facts. and - woo! - they dropped "target" attribute
    > from anchor tag :)

    Actually it's the other way round. They didn't drop
    it, they UNdeprecated it.
    dd, Jun 19, 2007
  7. kaaposc

    dd Guest

    On Jun 18, 10:58 pm, Good Man <> wrote:
    > Not sure, but FRAME, FRAMESET and NOFRAMES are dropped from the HTML 5
    > spec:
    >
    > http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/html5/html4-differences/Overview....

    They maybe dropped from the currently proposed but
    not yet final spec, but it's not going to affect
    browsers significantly. It'll be a good while
    before we get browsers that are HTML5 compliant
    and just because they support the new tags that
    HTML5 brings, it doesn't mean they won't still
    support the old ones. Remember, browsers want to
    show you as much of the web as they can (except
    for Safari of course, that goes without saying),
    so they'll continue to support old HTML.
    dd, Jun 19, 2007
  8. kaaposc

    Guest

    On Jun 19, 3:51 am, dd <> wrote:
    > On Jun 18, 10:58 pm, Good Man <> wrote:
    >
    > > Not sure, but FRAME, FRAMESET and NOFRAMES are dropped from the HTML 5
    > > spec:

    > >http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/html5/html4-differences/Overview....

    > They maybe dropped from the currently proposed but
    > not yet final spec, but it's not going to affect
    > browsers significantly. It'll be a good while
    > before we get browsers that are HTML5 compliant
    > and just because they support the new tags that
    > HTML5 brings, it doesn't mean they won't still
    > support the old ones. Remember, browsers want to
    > show you as much of the web as they can (except
    > for Safari of course, that goes without saying),
    > so they'll continue to support old HTML.

    Yes, IFrames are deprecated and the target attribute has never been
    part of the standard HTML DTD (only the frameset version.) For this
    and other reasons, frames of any sort are a bad idea at this point.
    There was a time when the only good IFrame was a hidden one, but AJAX
    has rendered those needless as well.

    As for indexing AJAX sites, that isn't a problem unless the site is
    poorly designed. A site should be designed from the start without
    scripting of any kind. That is the version that the search engines
    (and users without JS) will see. AJAX and other JS tricks can then be
    layered on to enhance the user experience, but should never replace or
    break the static content.
    , Jun 20, 2007