    I'll appreciate any help/example you can provide.
    I am using visual studio 2005.

    Thanks, Mark
    Mark, Jun 30, 2008

  2. Mark

    Anoj Guest

    Hi Mark,

    There is nothing to do with ASP.NET if you want to put frames, you can
    define frames using smple HTML.
    Check how to create frames here : http://www.w3schools.com/HTML/html_frames.asp

    /Anoj
    [www.TheTechHub.com]

    Anoj, Jun 30, 2008

  3. Mark

    Junior Guest

    Frames are HTML and if you can't write HTML yet you are not ready for
    ASP.NET. Furthermore, the use of Frames is generally considered the best way
    to create a web site that is not user friendly nor search engine friendly.

    IMO Frames are only useful for very limited tasks such as a Frameset using a
    Frame as a fixed header with a scrolling Frame of columnar data below it.
    Otherwise? Framesets are ca-ca

    As a neophyte though if you explain what you think you need to achieve I or
    others may have better suggestions

    Junior, Jun 30, 2008
  4. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Thanks for the reply.
    I have a HTML page with frames, but I cannot open it in Dotnet development
    environment(Visual Studio). It says "element Frameset is not supported".

    If frames are not good then I am ready to remove it.
    As a junior developer please suggest me how to do it?
    I have one menu page with few hyperlinks. On click I want to show a new page
    on another frame without reloading the menu page.
    Let me know if it is possible or any other way to do it.

    Please help this junior developer.
    Thanks, Mark.

    Mark, Jun 30, 2008
  5. You don't need to put the menu into a frame. Instead, show a new page in a
    iframe control.Alternatively you can look into Ajax-based solutions, depends
    on your task.

    --
    Eliyahu Goldin,
    Software Developer

    Eliyahu Goldin, Jun 30, 2008
  6. Mark

    Junior Guest

    I avoid iFrames like the plague for the same reason as Framesets. I agree
    AJAX will support what is wanted by refreshing a portion og the page without
    a noticeable PostBack but I also think looking at MasterPages should be
    considered. I would avoid AJAX though or use very very sparingly as AJAX can
    drag down performance if not used sparingly. Like iFrames and Framesets not
    everything that has been created has proven to be usefull in --all--
    circumstances and tends to get overused. Personally, I think trying to beat
    the stateless model of the web is a no-win compromise for the same reasons.

    "Eliyahu Goldin" <> wrote in
    message news:OK7$...

    Junior, Jun 30, 2008
  7. Mark

    Scott M. Guest

    Framesets are not supported in XHTML 1.0, which is what VS 2005/08 validate
    against.

    Generally, people tend to use CSS and DHTML to simulate what frames used to
    provide.

    -Scott

    Scott M., Jun 30, 2008
  8. ere:
    !> Framesets are not supported in XHTML 1.0, which is what VS 2005/08 validate against.
    !> people tend to use CSS and DHTML to simulate what frames used to provide.

    What happens if you use the XHTML 1.0 Frameset dtd :

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Frameset//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd">

    ???

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 30, 2008
  9. Mark

    Scott M. Guest

    You get stuck in a quagmire since it doesn't support the necessary
    attributes on the various tags to make the frames actually work properly.
    Not to mention that VS doesn't validate XHTML 1.0 Frameset.

    Scott M., Jun 30, 2008
  10. Mark

    Junior Guest

    Nobody has established why validation even matters when the browsers are so
    loosey goosey anyway.
    Same goes for the CSS vs Tables argument. So what?

    So many websites are FUBAR and the framework generates tables when using the
    controls that come from Microsoft making --most-- of the concern an exercise
    in futility does it not? Where to draw the line?

    Junior, Jul 1, 2008
  11. re:
    !>> What happens if you use the XHTML 1.0 Frameset dtd :
    !> You get stuck in a quagmire since it doesn't support the necessary
    !> attributes on the various tags to make the frames actually work properly.

    Gee, I wonder why this frameset and its frames work properly :

    http://asp.net.do/test/frameset/default.aspx

    ???

    re:
    !> Not to mention that VS doesn't validate XHTML 1.0 Frameset.

    VS 2008 validated the sample frameset I'm using as an example.
    Look at the source for the default page...

    It uses :
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd">

    The moral of this story is : test, test and test,
    if you are going to state that something doesn't work.

    In this case, it does work.

    The source for the test's files is attached as frameset.zip, so anybody can verify that :

    1. The frameset does work properly
    2. VS 2008 validates XHTML 1.0 Frameset

    Thank you.

    Juan T. Llibre, Jul 1, 2008
  12. >I avoid iFrames like the plague for the same reason as Framesets.
    Don't know much about framesets, but iframes still have their place. I would
    not hesitate using them if they fit into the design.

    Eliyahu Goldin, Jul 1, 2008
  13. Mark

    Scott M. Guest

    You continue to amaze me Jaun. Your sarcastic tone just screams how
    ignorant you can be to other points of view.

    Didn't I say that you'd run into a quagmire when you attempt to use various
    attributes of the frame and frameset tags that you might need in order to
    get the frames to work as desired? I'm pretty sure I did. Seeing that you
    made an example that does not make use of all the various tag attributes
    that relate to frames, I'm not surprised that your example doesn't show what
    I was referring to.

    Also, getting the frames to "work" and getting the code to "validate" are
    two different things.The W3C has designed the XHTML Frameset spec. such that
    you can have one, but in some circumstances, not both. This is what I'm
    addressing. Your "example" does not address this at all.

    Also, I'm quite sure that you changed the DOCTYPE used in the code, since VS
    provides the XHTML 1.0 DOCTYPE by default. So again, you aren't really
    addressing anything that I said.

    But thanks for your replies, because everytime I rebuild my machine, I
    forget to put you back on the <plonk> list. Your messages just reminded me
    to do it again.

    Scott M., Jul 1, 2008
  14. Mark

    SteveT Guest

    On Jun 30, 11:03 am, "Mark" <> wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply.
    > I have a HTML page with frames, but I cannot open it in Dotnet development
    > environment(Visual Studio). It says "element Frameset is not supported".
    >
    > If frames are not good then I am ready to remove it.
    > As a junior developer please suggest me how to do it?
    > I have one menu page with few hyperlinks. On click I want to show a new page
    > on another frame without reloading the menu page.
    > Let me know if it is possible or any other way to do it.
    >
    > Please help this junior developer.
    > Thanks, Mark.
    >
    > "Junior" <> wrote in message

    > > Frames are HTML and if you can't write HTML yet you are not ready for
    > > ASP.NET. Furthermore, the use of Frames is generally considered the best
    > > way to create a web site that is not user friendly nor search engine
    > > friendly.

    > > IMO Frames are only useful for very limited tasks such as a Frameset using
    > > a Frame as a fixed header with a scrolling Frame of columnar data below
    > > it. Otherwise? Framesets are ca-ca

    > > As a neophyte though if you explain what you think you need to achieve I
    > > or others may have better suggestions

    > > "Mark" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi Guys,
    > >> I am very new to ASP.NET world.
    > >> I need to create three frames. One at the top, one on the left and
    > >> another on the right side.
    > >> I don't know how to do it. So please help me with it.

    > >> I'll appreciate any help/example you can provide.
    > >> I am using visual studio 2005.

    > >> Thanks, Mark

    This is a great opportunity for you to use a masterpage with your
    menus in it. Then create your web pages using the masterpage.

    New to .Net? Here are some great tutorials to get you started:
    http://www.asp.net/learn/data-access If you work through the first
    20 or so of these tutorials, you'll be answering questions here.

    Steve T.
    SteveT, Jul 1, 2008
  15. re:
    !> Also, getting the frames to "work" and getting the code to "validate" are two different things.

    The frames work *and* the code validates.

    re:
    !> everytime I rebuild my machine, I forget to put you back on the <plonk> list

    Just make sure to use the same email address every time you rebuild,
    so that my bozo bin catches the same name.

    <replonk>

    Juan T. Llibre, Jul 2, 2008
  16. Mark

    Scott M. Guest

    ....and of course you didn't read my message beacuse your still talking about
    the simple frames you built, which don't reproduce the scenario I was
    describing.

    If you actually READ my message, you'd sound like you know what you're
    talking about, but you didn't so....

    Scott M., Jul 2, 2008
  17. Mark

    Scott M. Guest

    "Junior" <> wrote in message
    > Nobody has established why validation even matters when the browsers are
    > so loosey goosey anyway.

    I'm not sure that this statement is in any way true. While today's browsers
    may not perform validation, much of the content that is delivered to them is
    dynamically generated and for that to work reliably, you need statndards.

    > Same goes for the CSS vs Tables argument. So what?

    Because Framesets represent a different situation than tables vs. CSS.
    Tables are still fully supported by the W3C, framesets are not.

    > So many websites are FUBAR and the framework generates tables when using
    > the controls that come from Microsoft making --most-- of the concern an
    > exercise in futility does it not? Where to draw the line?

    I would argue that unless and until we get good standards, those sites will
    continue to be FUBAR and standards are the only way to resolve that.

    Scott M., Jul 3, 2008
  18. Mark

    Marc Guest

    "Junior" <> wrote in message
    > Nobody has established why validation even matters when the browsers are
    > so loosey goosey anyway.
    > Same goes for the CSS vs Tables argument. So what?

    Not at all. CSS vs Frames is about laying out text in a symantec way... so
    search engines and screen readers can make sense of them.

    Marc
    Marc, Jul 3, 2008