Frames in Nvu?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Alabaster, Dec 15, 2005.

  1. Alabaster

    Alabaster Guest

    Hi,

    I'm creating a personal website with a titlebar and menu on the top, a
    table of contents on the left, and the main content in the middle.

    I'm fairly new to html, but I am learning bits and pieces as I go along.
    I mainly use Nvu, and then go in and tweak things in the source editor
    or in notepad, based on whatever html knowledge I can figure out through
    web research.

    Right now I have no frames -- my titlebar and table of contents are
    reproduced on every page of my site. This works fine, except when I
    want to add or change something in the table of contents, I have to do
    it again in every single page. Frames would be better, but this seems a
    bit advanced for my knowledge of html.

    Nvu doesn't seem to have frameset options, but maybe I'm just missing
    something? I'd like to set up the frames through WSIWYG, and then tweak
    them in the source (learning as I go).

    Any advice? Also, is there a way to make the background image cover the
    entire page (spanning across frames), or do I need each frame to have
    its own background?

    Thanks,
    chris.

    Alabaster, Dec 15, 2005

  2. Alabaster wrote:

    > Right now I have no frames -- my titlebar and table of contents are
    > reproduced on every page of my site.

    Good.

    > This works fine, except when I want to add or change something in the
    > table of contents, I have to do it again in every single page. Frames
    > would be better, but this seems a bit advanced for my knowledge of html.

    Frames have lots of problems, avoid them.
    http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames

    There are plenty of other techniques for including common content in
    multiple pages.

    http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

    > Any advice? Also, is there a way to make the background image cover the
    > entire page (spanning across frames), or do I need each frame to have
    > its own background?

    Background images cannot span frames.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Dec 15, 2005

  3. Alabaster

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Alabaster
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > I'm creating a personal website with a titlebar and menu on the top, a
    > table of contents on the left, and the main content in the middle.

    Sounds pretty standard.

    > Right now I have no frames

    Good. Please keep it that way.

    > -- my titlebar and table of contents are
    > reproduced on every page of my site.

    <snip>
    > Frames would be better,

    Frames are very rarely better than anything.

    > Nvu doesn't seem to have frameset options

    I certainly hope you're right.

    > Any advice?

    http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

    > Also, is there a way to make the background image cover the
    > entire page (spanning across frames), or do I need each frame to have
    > its own background?

    If you don't use frames, it won't be an issue.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:

    Mark Parnell, Dec 15, 2005
  4. Alabaster

    saz Guest

    In article <aumof.82$>,
    says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm creating a personal website with a titlebar and menu on the top, a
    > table of contents on the left, and the main content in the middle.
    >
    > I'm fairly new to html, but I am learning bits and pieces as I go along.
    > I mainly use Nvu, and then go in and tweak things in the source editor
    > or in notepad, based on whatever html knowledge I can figure out through
    > web research.
    >
    > Right now I have no frames -- my titlebar and table of contents are
    > reproduced on every page of my site. This works fine, except when I
    > want to add or change something in the table of contents, I have to do
    > it again in every single page. Frames would be better, but this seems a
    > bit advanced for my knowledge of html.
    >
    > Nvu doesn't seem to have frameset options, but maybe I'm just missing
    > something? I'd like to set up the frames through WSIWYG, and then tweak
    > them in the source (learning as I go).
    >
    > Any advice? Also, is there a way to make the background image cover the
    > entire page (spanning across frames), or do I need each frame to have
    > its own background?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > chris.

    Do not use frames!!!

    Go here for an excellent tutorial:

    http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_include_one_html_file_inside_another.html

    saz, Dec 15, 2005
  5. Alabaster

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, saz
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > Go here for an excellent tutorial:
    >
    > http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_include_one_html_file_inside_another.html

    I don't know that I'd call it "excellent". For one, he doesn't mention
    *any* caveats about using client-side includes (i.e. they won't work for
    anyone with scripting disabled/unavailable).

    Mark Parnell, Dec 15, 2005
  6. Alabaster

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Alabaster <>

    > I'm creating a personal website with a titlebar and menu on the top, a
    > table of contents on the left, and the main content in the middle.

    What's on the right?

    > I'm fairly new to html, but I am learning bits and pieces as I go along.
    > I mainly use Nvu, and then go in and tweak things in the source editor
    > or in notepad, based on whatever html knowledge I can figure out through
    > web research.

    Get a text editor. Google for one. The simpler the better at first, but one
    that has search and replace functions.

    > Right now I have no frames -- my titlebar and table of contents are
    > reproduced on every page of my site. This works fine, except when I
    > want to add or change something in the table of contents, I have to do
    > it again in every single page. Frames would be better, but this seems a
    > bit advanced for my knowledge of html.

    Search and replace functions are quite common in many text
    editors and can be done over a whole folder of files in no time
    at all (you make just one change, the computer does the rest).
    true, you then need to upload all the html files again to the
    server. But this takes no time unless you are truly talking big
    big site...

    Frames could solve the drudgery too but have their own problems
    in their turn and are probably best avoided by you.

    -- dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 15, 2005
  7. Alabaster

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
    <> spouted in alt.html:
    >> From: Alabaster <>

    >> I'm creating a personal website with a titlebar and menu on the top, a
    >> table of contents on the left, and the main content in the middle.

    > What's on the right?

    <g> I missed that!

    Mark Parnell, Dec 15, 2005
  8. Alabaster

    saz Guest

    In article <43a1f82a$0$1346$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
    01.iinet.net.au>, says...
    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, saz
    > <> spouted in alt.html:
    >
    > > Go here for an excellent tutorial:
    > >
    > > http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_include_one_html_file_inside_another.html

    > I don't know that I'd call it "excellent". For one, he doesn't mention
    > *any* caveats about using client-side includes (i.e. they won't work for
    > anyone with scripting disabled/unavailable).

    I was thinking that it was excellent for someone that has never done
    this before.

    saz, Dec 15, 2005
  9. Alabaster

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, saz
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > I was thinking that it was excellent for someone that has never done
    > this before.

    If it's for someone who has never done it before, it is even more
    important to mention the problems with each method, as they are less
    likely to be aware of the issues. Don't get me wrong - his description
    of SSI is quite good. I just don't like the fact that the article seems
    to imply that all the methods are equally reliable.

    Mark Parnell, Dec 16, 2005
  10. Alabaster

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    Alabaster wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm creating a personal website with a titlebar and menu on the top, a
    > table of contents on the left, and the main content in the middle.
    >
    > I'm fairly new to html, but I am learning bits and pieces as I go along.
    > I mainly use Nvu, and then go in and tweak things in the source editor
    > or in notepad, based on whatever html knowledge I can figure out through
    > web research.
    >
    > Right now I have no frames -- my titlebar and table of contents are
    > reproduced on every page of my site. This works fine, except when I
    > want to add or change something in the table of contents, I have to do
    > it again in every single page. Frames would be better, but this seems a
    > bit advanced for my knowledge of html.
    >
    > Nvu doesn't seem to have frameset options, but maybe I'm just missing
    > something?

    No. NVU doesn't support frames. It tries to be cross browser
    compaddable so frames are no good for that:
    I'd like to set up the frames through WSIWYG, and then tweak
    > them in the source (learning as I go).
    >
    > Any advice? Also, is there a way to make the background image cover the
    > entire page (spanning across frames), or do I need each frame to have
    > its own background?

    The only way t have frames in NVU is to use CSS to achieve something
    that looks like a frame. But that is not recomended eather.
    Take a look @ http://www.forum.nvudev.org
    You may get more specific NVU advice there.
    > Thanks,
    > chris.

    No problems.

    Chaddy2222, Dec 16, 2005
  11. Alabaster

    Vhit Guest

    <alt.html , Mark Parnell , >
    <43a1f82a$0$1346$>
    <Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:11:38 +1100>

    > > Go here for an excellent tutorial:
    > >
    > > http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_include_one_html_file_inside_another.html

    > I don't know that I'd call it "excellent". For one, he doesn't mention
    > *any* caveats about using client-side includes (i.e. they won't work for
    > anyone with scripting disabled/unavailable).

    It doesnt mention <iframe> AFAICS and perhaps nobody has ever asked leo
    about it :)

    --
    www.vhit.co.uk
    www.vhit.co.uk/?poll=1000015

    Vhit, Dec 16, 2005
  12. Alabaster

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Vhit
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > It doesnt mention <iframe> AFAICS and perhaps nobody has ever asked leo
    > about it :)

    Or Leo knows enough to stay away from them. :)

    Mark Parnell, Dec 16, 2005
  13. Alabaster

    Jim Scott Guest

    On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 17:53:51 -0500, Alabaster wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm creating a personal website with a titlebar and menu on the top, a
    > table of contents on the left, and the main content in the middle.
    >
    > I'm fairly new to html, but I am learning bits and pieces as I go along.
    > I mainly use Nvu, and then go in and tweak things in the source editor
    > or in notepad, based on whatever html knowledge I can figure out through
    > web research.
    >
    > Right now I have no frames -- my titlebar and table of contents are
    > reproduced on every page of my site. This works fine, except when I
    > want to add or change something in the table of contents, I have to do
    > it again in every single page. Frames would be better, but this seems a
    > bit advanced for my knowledge of html.
    >
    > Nvu doesn't seem to have frameset options, but maybe I'm just missing
    > something? I'd like to set up the frames through WSIWYG, and then tweak
    > them in the source (learning as I go).
    >
    > Any advice? Also, is there a way to make the background image cover the
    > entire page (spanning across frames), or do I need each frame to have
    > its own background?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > chris.

    I use frames and edit them through notepad - well actually notepad++.
    The pages which go in each frame can be edited as normal with nvu and the
    frame page can be viewed in nvu.
    freespace.virgin.net/mr.jimscott
    --
    Jim