Frames in Nvu?

Alabaster

Hi,

I'm creating a personal website with a titlebar and menu on the top, a
table of contents on the left, and the main content in the middle.

I'm fairly new to html, but I am learning bits and pieces as I go along.
I mainly use Nvu, and then go in and tweak things in the source editor
or in notepad, based on whatever html knowledge I can figure out through
web research.

Right now I have no frames -- my titlebar and table of contents are
reproduced on every page of my site. This works fine, except when I
want to add or change something in the table of contents, I have to do
it again in every single page. Frames would be better, but this seems a
bit advanced for my knowledge of html.

Nvu doesn't seem to have frameset options, but maybe I'm just missing
something? I'd like to set up the frames through WSIWYG, and then tweak
them in the source (learning as I go).

Any advice? Also, is there a way to make the background image cover the
entire page (spanning across frames), or do I need each frame to have
its own background?

Thanks,
chris.

David Dorward

Alabaster said:
Right now I have no frames -- my titlebar and table of contents are
reproduced on every page of my site.
Good.

This works fine, except when I want to add or change something in the
table of contents, I have to do it again in every single page. Frames
would be better, but this seems a bit advanced for my knowledge of html.

Frames have lots of problems, avoid them.
http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Problems_with_using_frames

There are plenty of other techniques for including common content in
multiple pages.

http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another
Any advice? Also, is there a way to make the background image cover the
entire page (spanning across frames), or do I need each frame to have
its own background?

Background images cannot span frames.

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Alabaster
I'm creating a personal website with a titlebar and menu on the top, a
table of contents on the left, and the main content in the middle.

Sounds pretty standard.
Right now I have no frames

Good. Please keep it that way.
-- my titlebar and table of contents are
reproduced on every page of my site.
Frames would be better,

Frames are very rarely better than anything.
Nvu doesn't seem to have frameset options

I certainly hope you're right.
Any advice?
http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another

Also, is there a way to make the background image cover the
entire page (spanning across frames), or do I need each frame to have
its own background?

If you don't use frames, it won't be an issue.

saz

[...]

Do not use frames!!!

Go here for an excellent tutorial:

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_include_one_html_file_inside_another.html

dorayme

From: Alabaster said:
I'm creating a personal website with a titlebar and menu on the top, a
table of contents on the left, and the main content in the middle.

What's on the right?
I'm fairly new to html, but I am learning bits and pieces as I go along.
I mainly use Nvu, and then go in and tweak things in the source editor
or in notepad, based on whatever html knowledge I can figure out through
web research.

Get a text editor. Google for one. The simpler the better at first, but one
that has search and replace functions.
Right now I have no frames -- my titlebar and table of contents are
reproduced on every page of my site. This works fine, except when I
want to add or change something in the table of contents, I have to do
it again in every single page. Frames would be better, but this seems a
bit advanced for my knowledge of html.

Search and replace functions are quite common in many text
editors and can be done over a whole folder of files in no time
at all (you make just one change, the computer does the rest).
true, you then need to upload all the html files again to the
server. But this takes no time unless you are truly talking big
big site...

Frames could solve the drudgery too but have their own problems
in their turn and are probably best avoided by you.

-- dorayme

saz

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, saz

I don't know that I'd call it "excellent". For one, he doesn't mention
*any* caveats about using client-side includes (i.e. they won't work for
anyone with scripting disabled/unavailable).
I was thinking that it was excellent for someone that has never done
this before.

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, saz
I was thinking that it was excellent for someone that has never done
this before.

If it's for someone who has never done it before, it is even more
important to mention the problems with each method, as they are less
likely to be aware of the issues. Don't get me wrong - his description
of SSI is quite good. I just don't like the fact that the article seems
to imply that all the methods are equally reliable.

Chaddy2222

Alabaster said:
Hi,

I'm creating a personal website with a titlebar and menu on the top, a
table of contents on the left, and the main content in the middle.

I'm fairly new to html, but I am learning bits and pieces as I go along.
I mainly use Nvu, and then go in and tweak things in the source editor
or in notepad, based on whatever html knowledge I can figure out through
web research.

Right now I have no frames -- my titlebar and table of contents are
reproduced on every page of my site. This works fine, except when I
want to add or change something in the table of contents, I have to do
it again in every single page. Frames would be better, but this seems a
bit advanced for my knowledge of html.

Nvu doesn't seem to have frameset options, but maybe I'm just missing
something?
No. NVU doesn't support frames. It tries to be cross browser
compaddable so frames are no good for that:
I'd like to set up the frames through WSIWYG, and then tweak
them in the source (learning as I go).

Any advice? Also, is there a way to make the background image cover the
entire page (spanning across frames), or do I need each frame to have
its own background?

The only way t have frames in NVU is to use CSS to achieve something
that looks like a frame. But that is not recomended eather.
Take a look @ http://www.forum.nvudev.org
You may get more specific NVU advice there.
Thanks,
chris.
No problems.

Vhit

<alt.html , Mark Parnell , (e-mail address removed)>
<[email protected]>
I don't know that I'd call it "excellent". For one, he doesn't mention
*any* caveats about using client-side includes (i.e. they won't work for
anyone with scripting disabled/unavailable).

It doesnt mention <iframe> AFAICS and perhaps nobody has ever asked leo
about it :)

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Vhit
It doesnt mention <iframe> AFAICS and perhaps nobody has ever asked leo
about it :)

Or Leo knows enough to stay away from them. :)

Jim Scott

[...]

I use frames and edit them through notepad - well actually notepad++.
The pages which go in each frame can be edited as normal with nvu and the
frame page can be viewed in nvu.
freespace.virgin.net/mr.jimscott