frames problem with horizontal...

Simon

Hi,

I have a site currently in development at http://www.247staff.net/franchise

The site is made of a fixed frame at the top which contains the main
navigation and a second frame below which contains the main pages, also
scrollable.

The problem is that bottom frame is always showing a horizontal scrollbar
aswell as the vertical...I dont obviously mind the vertical scrollbar as I
need it but the horizontal scrollbar is making the site look 'buggy'

I have built the site with 'CSS' and 'HTML'

Any advice is much appreciated :)

Thanks

Sy

rf

Simon said:
Hi,

I have a site currently in development at http://www.247staff.net/franchise

The site is made of a fixed frame at the top which contains the main
navigation and a second frame below which contains the main pages, also
scrollable.

The problem is that bottom frame is always showing a horizontal scrollbar
aswell as the vertical...I dont obviously mind the vertical scrollbar as I
need it but the horizontal scrollbar is making the site look 'buggy'

I have built the site with 'CSS' and 'HTML'

Any advice is much appreciated :)

You should not be using frames. They are obsolete.

You should not be using tables for layout. If you are using css then you
should be using css for layout.

As to your actual problem, its probably due to the excessive nesting of your
frame. Remove the frames and the problem will vanish. I drilled down to the
actual "page" with the horizontal scroll bar. The scroll bar is not there
when viewing the "page" directly, that is:
http://thearmitages.net/247staff/franchise/mhomepage.htm

BTW you have more than just this problem. Use your browsers font size option
to make the font larger. Admire how the text in that top frame disappears.
It also does not work very well with mozilla.

Cheers
Richard.

William Tasso

Simon said:

How do you do?
I have a site currently in development at
http://www.247staff.net/franchise

The site is made of a fixed frame at the top which contains the main
navigation and a second frame below which contains the main pages,
also scrollable.

frames are evil:
http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tom_Vajzovic
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9612.html
The problem is that bottom frame is always showing a horizontal
scrollbar aswell as the vertical...I dont obviously mind the vertical
scrollbar as I need it but the horizontal scrollbar is making the
site look 'buggy'

no horizontal scroll bar in Opera or Mozilla. Research 'box model hack' to
find out why - or just get rid of the tables.
I have built the site with 'CSS' and 'HTML'

The navigation bar would be better served as a list of lists - you do not
need to use tables for your design.

Simon

I know about Frames....I have tried to tell my client but he is absolute
about the need for frames!! Just wont listen..
I also hear you about tables but my client again wouldn't be able to update
the pages if I didnt build it this way...
Basically I am building the site around my client so Im afraid frames and
tables have to stay :(

I am not quite sure how I would build the 'navigation bar as a list of
lists' please could you let me know what you mean - any examples! It sounds
great :)

Thanks again for your input everyone!

Sy

William Tasso

Simon wrote:

Please don't top-post:
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post
I know about Frames....I have tried to tell my client but he is
absolute about the need for frames!! Just wont listen..

show him the articles referenced above (and any others you can find)
I also hear you about tables but my client again wouldn't be able to
update the pages if I didnt build it this way...

That doesn't sound right. Are you using a cms?
Basically I am building the site around my client so Im afraid frames
and tables have to stay :(

Walk away?

/mode="Mary Poppins"
How to manage your clients: "Let me explain just one thing, I never explain
anything."
I am not quite sure how I would build the 'navigation bar as a list of
lists' please could you let me know what you mean - any examples! It
sounds great :)

The usual reference given is:
http://www.alistapart.com/stories/taminglists/

You can find one interpretation on the site-map at my domain (url in sig).

In any event, good luck.

Simon

William Tasso said:
Simon wrote:

Please don't top-post:
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

show him the articles referenced above (and any others you can find)

That doesn't sound right. Are you using a cms?

Walk away?

/mode="Mary Poppins"
How to manage your clients: "Let me explain just one thing, I never explain

The usual reference given is:
http://www.alistapart.com/stories/taminglists/

You can find one interpretation on the site-map at my domain (url in sig).

In any event, good luck.

Thanks William - the article you sent me is just breathtaking - I am goint
to implement that on the site.
As for walking away from the client - I need the money :) if he demands
frames and tables - Ill do it and in 3 years Ill update it when he wants
pure CSS and XHTML

Hope I posted right this time!
Thanks again for all your help.

Sy

Whitecrest

Thanks William - the article you sent me is just breathtaking - I am goint
to implement that on the site.
As for walking away from the client - I need the money :) if he demands
frames and tables - Ill do it and in 3 years Ill update it when he wants
pure CSS and XHTML

That is the bottom line. REGARDLESS if you think it is right or not.
The customer is the one that pays and they should get what they want,
EVEN if you think they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Either that, or walk away. (And let someone else take their money, and
the site will look just like the one your principals did not let you
build.)

Isofarro

Simon said:
I know about Frames....I have tried to tell my client but he is absolute
about the need for frames!! Just wont listen..

If this client is running a business, ask him if he understands the
implication of his actions in relation to the Disability Discrimination
Act. This risk (albeit a low risk) should be brought to his attention - it
is a risk this website poses to his business.
I also hear you about tables but my client again wouldn't be able to
update the pages if I didnt build it this way...

How is he updating the content that can't be done with a CSS layout?
Basically I am building the site around my client so Im afraid frames and
tables have to stay :(

Your taste and preferences are largely irrelevant in this matter.
Concentrate on what benefits the client's business gets instead. Avoiding
an expensive lawsuit is a benefit for starters.
I am not quite sure how I would build the 'navigation bar as a list of
lists' please could you let me know what you mean - any examples! It
sounds great :)

Eric Bohlman mentioned this a few threads ago:
"Take a look at
<http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/> to see examples of how to get
very good-looking styles, both horizontal and vertical."