Frames problem

dorayme

From: "Barbara de Zoete said:
How are you going to be able to see that in communications in a newsgroup?

It is called "reading between the lines" and "looking at
the context" of a few posts and so on. If you can't see it,
you might need training.

Chicken sexers are trained to distinguish male chickens
from female ones but almost no one can say how it is
actually done in terms of visual characteristics. They are
simply trained by picking and being corrected till they get
more and more right. The visual clues are obviously there,
but they are subliminal and a process of conditioning
(positive feedback to the learner on correct answers,
negative on incorrect answers) gets them the skill. So,
what we need to do is get groups of men who are jokers but
in their behaviour reasonably decent to ladies on one side,
and other types, lower in life form, on the other side. And
get them to email stuff and get you to start to see the
difference just from their emails. Believe me, you will get
to see it.

dorayme

(Note about chicken sexers and conditioning: Lets suppose
Neredbojias was training to become one. Every time he got
it wrong, he would get a whack. That is negative
conditioning...)

Els

dorayme said:
(Note about chicken sexers and conditioning: Lets suppose
Neredbojias was training to become one. Every time he got
it wrong, he would get a whack. That is negative
conditioning...)

<g>

Blinky the Shark

dorayme said:
Is it just me that is getting all this rubbish suddenly
from alt.html? Millions of posts about laxatives and
bottoms and so on. I have not known alt.html to generate so
much as lately. Just wondering if there has been an unusual
burst of craziness or whether my news reading software is
doing something odd...

Nothing like that here. news.individual.net

Blinky the Shark

Els said:
No, but that may be cause you're serious :)

Well, I too joke about men not being able to ask for directions, and I
can give you an extensive list with remarks about the inferiority and

Sure, but since you're a woman and Barbara is sexist, that's not a
problem for her.

Shabam

Get off my thread you spammers.

Els said:
I thought it was /men/ who were bad at multi-tasking and remembering
what they were doing before they got distracted ;-)

Els

Shabam said:
Get off my thread you spammers.

Excuse me? This thread was never yours. (or anyone's for that matter)
You posted a message to which so far no one has replied, and because
of a little mishap when Dorayme posted a new message, this thread
erroneously is attached to your message. There's nothing we can do
about it now though. We can't detach it.

Also, we're not spammers. We're residents here. We belong here, have
no place else to go :p

However, since you're such a nice and humble person, and your questin
had the word html in it, I'll reply to your question, in the
assumption at least /you/ still know what you asked:

No, you don't need to place code before the starting <html>.
Also, you don't need to pop up a window. Your visitor can do that for
himself. Plus you don't need frames.

All that aside though: you have a piece of code to initiate a popup,
and you've been told to insert it at the top of your source code,
right? Well, whoever told you told you wrong. I'd say insert the code
in the source of one of the pages that are loaded into your frameset,
not in the frameset itself.
Also, place the code in the right place, /not/ above <html>.
I don't know enough about JavaScript to be able to tell you whether
the code should go before </head> or after <body> though.
You'd best ask that in comp.lang.javascript.

rf

Shabam said:
Get off my thread you spammers.

A neat way to get answers here. Top post *and* abuse the regulars.

As to your question:

1) Stupid idea (both the popup and the frames)

2) you freely admit that is "bad html syntax" yet you still request a
solution? Bad idea.

Cheers
Richard.

Shabam

Sorry about the outburst. It just seemed to be getting out of hand.

I know it is bad form, but the html insertion is being done by an Apache
module that automatically inserts it at the beginning of all html files
served. There's nothing I can do other than have someone else recoded,
which is probably the best idea, but I'm trying to see if there's a way
around that. The code runs the popup in the same window name, so while the
frames page would have multiple html pages all having the popup code, there
won't be multiple windows opening. Just one.

Els

Shabam said:
Sorry about the outburst. It just seemed to be getting out of hand.

Please quote what you are replying to, I don't usually remember the
via Google Groups.)
I know it is bad form, but the html insertion is being done by an Apache
module that automatically inserts it at the beginning of all html files
served.

Why? What Apache module?
There's nothing I can do other than have someone else recoded,
which is probably the best idea, but I'm trying to see if there's a way
around that.

Maybe it would help if you first explained /why/ you do what you are
doing, and maybe even show a URL so people can see what is happening.
I'm no Apache expert, but I do know that no module is doing anything
in my code on my Apache.
The code runs the popup in the same window name,

Then it isn't a popup, is it?
so while the
frames page would have multiple html pages all having the popup code, there
won't be multiple windows opening. Just one.

No popup then.

Really, without a URL to check what is happening, I think it's hard
for people to help you out.

My most urgent question is though: Why?
Why do you have some module do stuff with already coded pages? What is
it that you think could be recoded by someone else? Why by someone
else and not you?

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Els quothed:
Objection!

Sustained!

(Oops, for a minute there I thought I was in a courtroom.)

Anyway, I agree. Mistakes are objectionable and should be avoided
whenever possible.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
I forget, I might have hit reply to something and changed the subject, it is
a woman's right isn't it Big Boy?

-According to folklore. However, in modern times people expect people
to act as people in modern times should act according to modern rules
and any display of individuality, character, or other such waywardness
is strictly prohibited.

Think along these lines: it's a lot like Css. You don't want to foul up
the works any further by bucking the strictures and procedures which at
least have a uniform measure of mediocrity.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Els quothed:
Oh come one, Barbara, the man is joking!

"Come along, dear,
With emptiness, eagles, and snow.
Unfriendliness chilling my body
And whispering Pictures of Home."

(In case you're confused, check your sig of the replied-to mess.)

Leonard Blaisdell

Neredbojias said:
<snip> However, in modern times people expect people
to act as people in modern times should act according to modern rules
and any display of individuality, character, or other such waywardness
is strictly prohibited.

Political correctness quashes expression. It doesn't quash belief.
Frankly, it's not democratic and has never influenced one thought I've
ever had other than to make me bite my tongue.
I applaud your unbitten tongue. But this gender bashing, tsk, tsk ;-)

leo

dorayme

From: Els said:
[...]

And since I seem to have caused some trouble, by way of penance, I can
add that I have used JS on one my only remaining framed site - as Els
says to do - in the source of the actual pages. And further, within the
head. In my case, it was for folk to be able to get pictorial info on
products without losing their place, by clicking a link knowingly they
get to see a small pop up window with a bit of info and even clickable
links and pics within, eg for a review closeup of a particular line of
products. The link in the body of the source must have references to
the JS window etc. But the main functions work well and are neatest in
the head (unless you have a real complex lot, in which case, a separate
..js file, linked or referenced in the head is the way to go).

dorayme

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Leonard Blaisdell quothed:
Political correctness quashes expression. It doesn't quash belief.

Inarguably true.
Frankly, it's not democratic and has never influenced one thought I've
ever had other than to make me bite my tongue.

Well, I can't exactly say the same....to both latter parts of your
compound sentence.
I applaud your unbitten tongue. But this gender bashing, tsk, tsk ;-)

To be quite frank, my tongue has never gotten such an accolade before by
a male.