Frames: set target on server

Thorsten Tarrach

Hallo,
I use a frameset and want to determine the target frame for a postback on
the server. I know frames and server side code is difficult but in my
situation there is no alternative to frames.
Thanks, Thorsten

David Dorward

Thorsten said:
I use a frameset

I'm so sorry.
and want to determine the target frame for a postback on
the server.

A postback?

The only ways to determine which frame a webpage will open in are the target
attribute and JavaScript - both of which have to be set before the request
for the new document is made.
I know frames and server side code is difficult but in my
situation there is no alternative to frames.

Unlikely.

Thorsten Tarrach

David Dorward said:
Unlikely.

On the left side there are results displayed. When you click one details are
shown on the right. Without frames this means that the used have to scroll
down the result list again after each reload.

David Dorward

Thorsten said:
On the left side there are results displayed. When you click one details
are shown on the right. Without frames this means that the used have to
scroll down the result list again after each reload.

position: fixed;

(with JavaScript hacks to fake support for it in certain previous generation
browsers - like IE 6)

David Dorward

Thorsten said:
On the left side there are results displayed. When you click one details
are shown on the right. Without frames this means that the used have to
scroll down the result list again after each reload.

Along with some position: fixed (and JavaScript hackery for last generation
browsers like IE6) to show the details on screen.

...D.

Thorsten Tarrach said:
On the left side there are results displayed. When you click one details are
shown on the right. Without frames this means that the used have to scroll
down the result list again after each reload.

Look. You might as well forget about anything to do with frames & asking this
bunch. "I'm so sorry" & "you'll see" is just about all you can get out of
them... Not a list of what is so bad about them.

....D.

Thorsten Tarrach

That's the first good answer I get :)
I think sometimes frames are necessary and then I'll use them.

David Dorward

....D. said:
Look. You might as well forget about anything to do with frames & asking
this bunch. "I'm so sorry" & "you'll see" is just about all you can get
out of them... Not a list of what is so bad about them.

See the threads "The actual limitations and uses of html frames" and
"browser & displaying of frames" - both of which cover the why in some
detail and both of which were started in the past two weeks.

See also suitable Google Groups searches on this newsgroup, and general
Google searches.

Please also don't misrepresent the people who frequent this newsgroup with
statements such as the above. While my opinions of frames may have been
made clear in the earlier post - the question posed WAS answered.

...D.

David Dorward said:
See the threads "The actual limitations and uses of html frames" and
"browser & displaying of frames" - both of which cover the why in some
detail and both of which were started in the past two weeks.
See also suitable Google Groups searches on this newsgroup, and general
Google searches.
Please also don't misrepresent the people who frequent this newsgroup with
statements such as the above. While my opinions of frames may have been
made clear in the earlier post - the question posed WAS answered.

First, I am deleting this newsgroup, so don't bother to answer.

In another thread I just posted the same thing - in the space & typing time
you just took to post your "go search for yourself" reply, you could have
explained (one line generalities) to me 4 or 5 things that are so bad about
frames.

I posted two basics I've seen, - (1) a guy coming in from a search engine
could end up in a frame (no problem, an out, a re-launch, in each frame. Or
(2) some browsers (from when - 1995??) cannot use frames, or a non-computer
like a cell phone cannot use them - again no problem. In fact I'd welcome the
"filter" keeping out people doing the I-net with a cell phone. Still I'd
probably have a basic ugly no-frames page for the one in 1000 (how many??)
that can't use frames. Oh yeah - (3), someone wanting to print something
might not get what they thought they chose. There's a way to help that
problem out too... of course these simple things must not be why frames are
so evil. But I'll find out elsewhere.

....D.

Jukka K. Korpela

....D. said:
First, I am deleting this newsgroup, so don't bother to answer.

Promises, promises. You already promised to do so in an earlier posting.
Let's just hope that you keep using the _same_ forged From field so that
we can, effectively, fulfill your promise when you don't do that.

David Dorward

....D. said:
In another thread I just posted the same thing - in the space & typing
time you just took to post your "go search for yourself" reply

That was not a "go search for yourself" reply. It was a "You are wrong that
nobody ever explains X, its been done half a dozen times this week" reply.
Do pay attention.