    the server. I know frames and server side code is difficult but in my
    situation there is no alternative to frames.
    Thanks, Thorsten

    Thorsten Tarrach, Jul 27, 2004

  2. Thorsten Tarrach wrote:

    > I use a frameset

    I'm so sorry.

    > and want to determine the target frame for a postback on
    > the server.

    A postback?

    The only ways to determine which frame a webpage will open in are the target
    attribute and JavaScript - both of which have to be set before the request
    for the new document is made.

    > I know frames and server side code is difficult but in my
    > situation there is no alternative to frames.

    Unlikely.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jul 27, 2004

  3. "David Dorward" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > I know frames and server side code is difficult but in my
    > > situation there is no alternative to frames.

    > Unlikely.

    On the left side there are results displayed. When you click one details are
    shown on the right. Without frames this means that the used have to scroll
    down the result list again after each reload.

    Thorsten Tarrach, Jul 28, 2004
  4. Thorsten Tarrach wrote:

    > On the left side there are results displayed. When you click one details
    > are shown on the right. Without frames this means that the used have to
    > scroll down the result list again after each reload.

    position: fixed;

    (with JavaScript hacks to fake support for it in certain previous generation
    browsers - like IE 6)

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jul 28, 2004
  5. Thorsten Tarrach wrote:

    > On the left side there are results displayed. When you click one details
    > are shown on the right. Without frames this means that the used have to
    > scroll down the result list again after each reload.

    Along with some position: fixed (and JavaScript hackery for last generation
    browsers like IE6) to show the details on screen.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jul 28, 2004
  6. Thorsten Tarrach

    ...D. Guest

    "Thorsten Tarrach" <> wrote:
    >On the left side there are results displayed. When you click one details are
    >shown on the right. Without frames this means that the used have to scroll
    >down the result list again after each reload.

    Look. You might as well forget about anything to do with frames & asking this
    bunch. "I'm so sorry" & "you'll see" is just about all you can get out of
    them... Not a list of what is so bad about them.

    ....D.

    ...D., Jul 29, 2004
  7. That's the first good answer I get :)
    I think sometimes frames are necessary and then I'll use them.

    Thorsten Tarrach, Jul 29, 2004
  8. ....D. wrote:

    > Look. You might as well forget about anything to do with frames & asking
    > this bunch. "I'm so sorry" & "you'll see" is just about all you can get
    > out of them... Not a list of what is so bad about them.

    See the threads "The actual limitations and uses of html frames" and
    "browser & displaying of frames" - both of which cover the why in some
    detail and both of which were started in the past two weeks.

    See also suitable Google Groups searches on this newsgroup, and general
    Google searches.

    Please also don't misrepresent the people who frequent this newsgroup with
    statements such as the above. While my opinions of frames may have been
    made clear in the earlier post - the question posed WAS answered.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Jul 29, 2004
  9. Thorsten Tarrach

    ...D. Guest

    David Dorward <> wrote:
    >See the threads "The actual limitations and uses of html frames" and
    >"browser & displaying of frames" - both of which cover the why in some
    >detail and both of which were started in the past two weeks.

    >See also suitable Google Groups searches on this newsgroup, and general
    >Google searches.

    >Please also don't misrepresent the people who frequent this newsgroup with
    >statements such as the above. While my opinions of frames may have been
    >made clear in the earlier post - the question posed WAS answered.

    First, I am deleting this newsgroup, so don't bother to answer.

    In another thread I just posted the same thing - in the space & typing time
    you just took to post your "go search for yourself" reply, you could have
    explained (one line generalities) to me 4 or 5 things that are so bad about
    frames.

    I posted two basics I've seen, - (1) a guy coming in from a search engine
    could end up in a frame (no problem, an out, a re-launch, in each frame. Or
    (2) some browsers (from when - 1995??) cannot use frames, or a non-computer
    like a cell phone cannot use them - again no problem. In fact I'd welcome the
    "filter" keeping out people doing the I-net with a cell phone. Still I'd
    probably have a basic ugly no-frames page for the one in 1000 (how many??)
    that can't use frames. Oh yeah - (3), someone wanting to print something
    might not get what they thought they chose. There's a way to help that
    problem out too... of course these simple things must not be why frames are
    so evil. But I'll find out elsewhere.

    ....D.

    ...D., Aug 1, 2004
  10. ....D. <d@no_usenet_email..org> wrote:

    > First, I am deleting this newsgroup, so don't bother to answer.

    Promises, promises. You already promised to do so in an earlier posting.
    Let's just hope that you keep using the _same_ forged From field so that
    we can, effectively, fulfill your promise when you don't do that.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 1, 2004
  11. ....D. wrote:

    > In another thread I just posted the same thing - in the space & typing
    > time you just took to post your "go search for yourself" reply

    That was not a "go search for yourself" reply. It was a "You are wrong that
    nobody ever explains X, its been done half a dozen times this week" reply.
    Do pay attention.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Aug 1, 2004